Best Pliers or Vice Grips (or similar tool?)

Page 2 of 2

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 05:44:34 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Maybe -- in fact I'm sure you're right -- but I got tired of looking for a new washer, so I started using a channellock imitation to tighten my hose on. Stopped the leak. When I had room in the basement I took the hose off at the start of the winter. I needed pliers to start loosening it, but I didnt' cause any harm. I should try plumber's grease. I just came across some in the basement.
Later, when the basement was full, because it has a reel with a crank, I just cranked over and over again in the right direction until the water stopped coming out. Maybe 100 turns even though the 2 hoses go only 30 times around the reel. And not too fast after the first 30 because some of the water runs backwards and doesn't make progress getting out. I havent' been in the hose but I'm pretty sure there is only an eighth inch of water, not enough to burst the hose when it freezes.
I'm careful not to bend the hose when it is cold, but I will probably shorten its life some anyhow.
I also have an AM-FM radio which has been outside for the last 3 years. It has a roof over it, but I'm sure it gets some rain, and cold down to 10 or 20F. If necessary, I let it dry out before playing it.

I had a neighbor who was good for nothing.
On 10 Jan 2007 18:03:19 -0800, samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Soak with WD40 or other solvent. Let it soak for a day and apply it several times. Grab with plyers that has curved blades. A vice grip might crush the fitting. The plyers should do the job. If your hose end is plastic, it may break. If its metal, it should come off.

In all honesty, a handyperson should have ALL of these tools. Dont buy those cheap foreign made no-named ones. They are weak and useless. Buy a name brand such as "Vice Grip" or "Craftsman". Ace hardware's own brands are well made too.
There is one tool I can not live without, and I sort of love it, but my wife loves it more. It hangs between my legs, You asked for it, you got it. <LOL> :)

Two in one thread. Kerplunk.
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:11:11 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myspambox.com wrote:

samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Don't get insulted, but just in case...
Are you sure you are rotating it in the proper direction?
Sometimes it's easy to get crossed up on the rotation if you're looking at what you're trying to loosen from "above" it.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On 10 Jan 2007 18:03:19 -0800, samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

ChannelLocks (with the blue handles). After using this tool you'll wonder why you havn't got one a long time ago.
samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Might as well use a Dremel.
I've had situations where every possible gripping tool was used in increasing levels of frustration.
Finally cut the son-of-a-bitch off. Should've done that to begin with.
I'd have to guess that you positioned the wheel in line with the hose -- across the threads. And that you preserved the surface where the hose bib meets the rubber washer? So that you could use another hose later?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No.
I burnt the bastard. Then I took the ashes to Louisiana and scattered them along twelve miles of the Interstate.
Take no chances.