Best Pliers or Vice Grips (or similar tool?)

Maybe -- in fact I'm sure you're right -- but I got tired of looking for a new washer, so I started using a channellock imitation to tighten my hose on. Stopped the leak. When I had room in the basement I took the hose off at the start of the winter. I needed pliers to start loosening it, but I didnt' cause any harm. I should try plumber's grease. I just came across some in the basement.

Later, when the basement was full, because it has a reel with a crank, I just cranked over and over again in the right direction until the water stopped coming out. Maybe 100 turns even though the 2 hoses go only 30 times around the reel. And not too fast after the first 30 because some of the water runs backwards and doesn't make progress getting out. I havent' been in the hose but I'm pretty sure there is only an eighth inch of water, not enough to burst the hose when it freezes.

I'm careful not to bend the hose when it is cold, but I will probably shorten its life some anyhow.

I also have an AM-FM radio which has been outside for the last 3 years. It has a roof over it, but I'm sure it gets some rain, and cold down to 10 or 20F. If necessary, I let it dry out before playing it.

I had a neighbor who was good for nothing.

Reply to
mm

- And don't miss the instructions on the Liquid Wrench can, which say to

- hit the connection a few times to get the fluid to go as far in as possible.

Hi! I am trying to loosen a hose and someone suggested hitting the connection a few times to get the fluid to go as far in as possible.

Can you suggest the proper tool for hitting the connection with? Things I've tried:

1 - My hand - now it's bruised and sore 2 - The can of Liquid Wrench - split the can and now my driveway is a mess 3 - The other end of the hose - bent the nozzle and now it's stuck on too. Do I need to buy another set of channel locks for that end? Perhaps a left handed set?

BTW I was going to hit it with the channel locks but I didn't because the user's manual said not to use them for anything other than their intended purpose (safety first!)

Any suggestions?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The mallets with the yellow plastic head are handy for pounding on things that you don't want to damage. One poster also suggests a pair of fence pliers. They have a hammer, wire cutter, plies, and hook. Handy for all sorts of things.

My mechanical engineering friends always said, that when confronted with a difficult problem, "get a bigger hammer."

Reply to
professorpaul

Might as well use a Dremel.

I've had situations where every possible gripping tool was used in increasing levels of frustration.

Finally cut the son-of-a-bitch off. Should've done that to begin with.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd have to guess that you positioned the wheel in line with the hose -- across the threads. And that you preserved the surface where the hose bib meets the rubber washer? So that you could use another hose later?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No.

I burnt the bastard. Then I took the ashes to Louisiana and scattered them along twelve miles of the Interstate.

Take no chances.

Reply to
HeyBub

Given the light weight of the things involved: A screwdriver shaft. OTOH, for my motorcycle engine case, I tapped the bolts lightly with a hammer.

LOL.

Definitely.

First aid.

Reply to