My supplier (Brannons) charges a 1000 bucks for a basic CPAP machine and
500 for an additional mask and 120 for the hose.
Do you have a better supplier (SF bay area) for CPAP than Brannons?
PS I can't find a group dedicated to cpap so I'm hoping you can point me in
the right direction.
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:14:34 -0500, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
The whole machine is nothing more than a fancy fan and mask.
My insurance has a 500 dollar deductible.
So, what I think should cost $100 (machine) + $50 (mask) actually costs me
$500 ($1,000 + $500 of which the insurance "pays" $1000).
It's a rip off. Basically, it costs me $500 WITH insurance for something
that shouldn't even be close to 500 dollars in the first place!
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:22:18 -0800, Patricia Wilson
CPAP machines are more than a fan and mask but I agree that
specialized medical equipment is too expensive. You could make your
own out of a surplus gas mask, a vacuum cleaner hose and a hair dryer
with a disabled heating element.
The wholesale cost is considerably more than that. CPAP machines are more
than just a fan. Medical devices also have to go through stringent design,
testing, certification and such that they typical coffee maker does not.
Oh, add in a healthy cost of liability insurance. Yes, the sellers do make
a profit on them, but the cost is more than you think.
If it truly is just a fan, I bet you can build your own for less than $50.
You beat me to the built in costs associated with product liability and
onerous government regulations. There is probably a lot of costs
included for UL certification. When you see a product that uses a wall
wart, the wall wart/wall plug power supply is the only thing that has
to have UL approval so the manufacturer saves a lot of money. As far as
medical devices go, I met a tech for medical X-ray machines who told me
that the cost of a screw for the X-ray may be $25.00 for a fifty cent
screw because of the stack of paperwork that goes along with it.
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:48:34 -0500, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
My health insurance (UHC) has a 500 deductible for CPAP machines, masks,
and hoses. And then it's 70% of the rest they pay for (I pay 30%).
In the end, it costs about $1000 for the machine and $500 for the
mask/hoses so that's 1500 dollars. Out of that 1500 dollars, it costs me
500 deductible and then they pay 700 dollars and I pay 300 dollars out of
It ends up costing me 800 dollars for a machine that should, were it not
insured, cost about 100 to 500 dollars (at most!).
That's why costs matter so much.
Time for a cost benefit check here.
Pay $800.00 for a required medical device or......................
Seems pretty simple to me.
And as far as the direct answer to your question, have you tried eBay? Lots
of sources for machines, masks, pillows, hoses etc.
I have UHC, too, and I know just what you're talking about. Check out
cpap.com and cpapauction.com. On CPAP auction, I got a brand-new,
data-capable Resmed machine with add-on humidifier AND a new Mirage
Softgel mask for less than $400. It's actually cheaper for me to buy
outright on cpapauction.com and/or cpap.com than to go through my
insurance. Crazy, I know. BTW, I've never seen a machine that cost
$100 -- I think that must be a quote for a mask.
Best group by far for CPAP is cpaptalk.com. Also check out their
sponsor, cpap.com, for good prices on machines, masks, and
accessories, and cpapauction.com for smokin' good deals on machines
(often brand new for less than half of the regular price). You can
get a fully featured, data capable machine at cpap.com for far less
than your quote above.
Sadly, no. They require a prescription and neither Amazon.com nor
eBay will handle them because of this requirement. You can get
accessories at these sites, but not machines or masks. Craigslist is
a good resource for used ones, though.
That's why Medicare will pay for them when you turn 65.
Since "foreign suppliers" sell prescription drugs over the internet, I
wonder why they're not selling homemade cpap machines? Should be a
good market for them.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.