Best paint for steel garage door with minor rust

Hello,
I have a steel garage door on my house that I had installed about 14 years ago. It was nothing fancy, just your average steel garage door. It was white when I got it and I never painted it. Other than some minor rust at the very bottom edge of the door, it is in very good shape (no flakey paint or anything). The rust at the bottom seems to be more of a discoloration than an actual pitting.
Is there some kind of paint I can put along the bottom edge of the door to keep the rust from spreading? I really don't want to paint the whole door. I thought maybe if I sanded it a little and used Rustoleum primer and some Rustoleum white paint over that it would work. Needless to say, I don't know anything about paint or garage doors. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Roberta

I'd sand all the paint off a small section that has the worst rust color. If you end up with shiny new metal after sanding thoroughly, then your plan will work just fine. If, on the other hand, you find the metal is rusted through, then another plan is needed.
Sherman wrote:

===     I just finished painting my 16 year old metal garage door. It is a Wayne-Dalton with the factory finish. I lightly sanded the small rust near the bottom, primed that area with a rustoleum oil primer for rusty metal. Then scuffed up the rest of the door with scotch brite pads. I used a Glidden oil base primer. Tinted primer 50% what my top coat color is. Then used Glidden endurance latex semi-gloss finish coat. Looks like new again. The door has a southern exposure, so I made sure to paint when the sun was not beating on it.
Have fun, TP