Best, Older Toilet

I plan on having installed useful plumbing in my new house. I understand that first I will have to put in politically correct trash installed, then okayed by the stooge inspector. After he leaves then I can break up the worthless plumbing and reinstall useful items. My question is on toilets.

I'd like to get the highest toilet and with the best, most reliable flush. I'm thinking this would be a unit of about 20 year old vintage. A two piece unit consisting of an 18 inch bowl that has a water closet that sits directly on top of it --almost as one piece. Folks tell me that if I go for the water closet mounted on the (wall and with the elbow connecting it to the bowl), that that often leaks unless everything is mounted dead level and stays dead level.

Reply to
ScooterNDevon

Why not just buy a good current technology model that will work, be legal, have parts available if needed, and you will not need to replace?

A good one need not cost much more than the cheap junk the builders put in. Just get the builder to put in something like the American Standard Cadet (they come in different models). Make sure it has at least a 2" trap fully glazed. They will work as well as any of the old high water usage ones.

The idea that you need an old illegal model is just not true today and is > I plan on having installed useful plumbing in my new house. I

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's yet to be proven to me. Though I'm sure there has been advances. I'll give up my old toilet when they pry my cold dead fingers from around it.

Reply to
3rd eye

And it has not been proven that the old ones are any better than a good new one.

I don't suggest that if you have a working old one that you should run out and buy a new one. I only suggest that when the time comes to replace it (that could be 50 years from now, they tend to last a long time) then try a good new one. It will make you a believer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I bought a Toto to replace and 30 year old Standard because the Toto was highly rated. While it might flush the most amount of soybean paste-

it fails miserably in an un-tested area. I'm stumped how to describe the deficiency so I will just say it. It leaves the skid marks. If you have an older toilet, that is in good shape, that you are happy with, and you don't have a problem with water usage like living in Arizona or having a marginal well, then keep it.

Reply to
tomcas

What is " politically correct trash installed '

What is a " stooge inspector"

The highest toilet tank for a giant dump has a ceiling gravity tank, Now you could extend it up as high as your heart desires , 100 ft 500 ft . and have enough pressure to blow down an Elephant turd. Or you could get a reliable low flush toilet and get online at Consumer Reports and see the ratings of 40 or so turd trashers. Kinda beats the Garbage Dump Shopping mall, unless you like that kinda free shoping and repairing toilets .

Reply to
m Ransley

Not my experience at all with a Kohler Wellworth. The first thing I noticed was that it does not leave skid marks like the old American Standard did. There are never visible stains below the waterline and very few above. The AS needed to be cleaned daily. I have not needed the plunger at all where it was a regular occurrence before. My water bills are based on usage and have gone down considerably so that in three years I am sure it has more than paid for itself. Here you can still buy water wasting toilets, but there is nothing to be gained with one and money to be saved without.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks for the laugh! :)

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH