Best mosquito killer?

Page 2 of 5
wrote: <snip> s, they do, one of ours (a replacement for the unit which died) has

Do you have any bicycle stores in your area? The threaded CO2 cartidges are used in some CO2 bike tire inflaters and they may stock them.
dickm
Ignoramus5599 wrote:

Keep in mind that all the best mosquito killers attract the mosquitoes. Which means it not only kills them but attracts them. Sort defeating the purpose of having one. Chicken feed is cheaper than killing the mosquitoes.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
In wrote:

Unless it can attract them over there while I'm over here.
These new (and expensive) propane-powered things make some rather extravagant claims about the area they'll cover.
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@visi.com

Bert Hyman wrote:

The extravagant claims are true. It has been repeatedly tested by outside organizations.
Thanks,
Mike
message

Nope, not if it kills all it attracts.

Rod Speed wrote:

After they get me on the way in?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
message wrote

They wont bother with you if the attracting is done properly.
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:39:50 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

One of the problem with the CO2 killers is people put them next to the place they are occupying. The trick is to set them up away from the house, next to the woods or the field where they will work quite well.
Then again, build lots of bird houses for Bats, Swallows and Purple Martins. They will eat a proverbial shitload of skeeters.
Kirk
"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

Just trying to kill a myth. It's good to encourage animals to live around your homes, but purple martin colonies require careful maintenance, swallows can be a health hazard, and bats can carry rabies. They don't have significant impact on mosquito populations, so people should be aware of that before installing bird/bat houses to attract them. They will make a dent in the population since all do eat mosquitoes as part of their diet, but they're not the magic cure.
I have posted links on the purple martin and swallow myths earlier in the thread.
Study from 1950's touting bat's mosquito control locked them in a room with no other food choices http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/proprom.htm
Bats are selective opportunistic eaters that cannot be considered as a method of pest control http://www.texasmosquito.org/bats.html
In stomach content studies, beetles are the dominant food of bats. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2058.html
Mosquitoes make up 1% of the diet of bats http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1051744724587_255 /
- Joanne

It's not like you have to clean out the houses every day or week. Once a season and plug the holes.
Hell, we had a storm blow the roof off a Martin house, which wasn't replace for two days, they were fine, although I was worried about owls and hawks eating buffet style.

What, mites? Simple keep things clean, diatomaceous earth.

So can dogs cats and skunks and possums and many other mammals. I'd say that in a population of 17 million bats there MAY be one with rabies. Can the same be said for 17 million skunks? I don't think so.
I understand the myth killing, but to demonize the flying critters is counter productive. They eat flying insects. A GOOD thing.
Last evening, while working on my boat, I watched the Swallows and Martins. They were active until AT LEAST civil twilight. I was aware of at least three mosquitos during this time, they were trying to bite my calfs. They were all active at the same time. However, when the Martins and Swallows finally settled down, the Nighthawks appeared. They also eat flying insects.
All these birds eat WHATEVER insect presents itself in their flightpath. Same for bats.

These are good, but -seriously- go to: http://www.batcon.org These guys are THE bat EXPERTS.
No, bats and swallows and Martins are not VORACIOUS consumers of mosquitos, but that is not a good enough excuse to convince folks NOT to encourage them to be around or to -fear- them.
I have handled several species of bats with no ill effects. I have seen dozens of albino bats (that's one per million). I know no one who has contracted rabies from a bat. I have been in bat caves. The worst I have seen of bats is the potential hystoplasmosis found on guano (rat feces also). I have friends that have waded through waist deep vampire bat ooze while spelunking, with no ill effects, but that's a whole different story...
On 6 Jul 2004 19:46:39 GMT, Ignoramus5599
:) One reason is obvious, I do not want to have :) mosquitoes in my yard. Another reason is that I could feed the zapped :) fried mosquitoes to my chickens (I have two chickens). :) :) I bought some electrical "bug zapper" from Home Depot, but it is quite :) obviously a not so well working product, as I could kill more :) mosquitoes with my bare hands. I think that I will return it back.
The "zappers" are limited to mosquito control due to the insects are more drawn to carbon dioxide over the light that the zappers use. I started doing mosquito control this year with a pyrethroid insecticide and have had great feedback from my customers with it. The closest thing you could buy at the home depot type stores would be the permethrin spray to treat the shady areas where mosquitos hide during the day along with keeping standing water from occurring. Doubtfull you would have problems with your birds, but you probably would want to keep them away to the product dried to be sure.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Does anyone have to consumer report to hard? Cheapest 3 I can find are; http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat 416&deptT28&product_id53873&path=0%3A5428%3A91416%3A90950
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_10/602-7432893-3119029?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin 000638SS
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat 416&deptT28&product_id&25130&path=0%3A5428%3A91416%3A90950#long_descr
From $147 thru about $220
I'm thinking of gettone one at that price so any opinions welcome as to the best value.
Thanks
Nick..

Also serious. Bats. Each bat catches many thousands each day/night. Problem these days is that modern construction does not provide as many places for bats to roost. However 'Bat boxes' can be constructed very simply. Apparently for those who must use a technical solution there are CO2 powered mosquitoe catchers that attract and trap them; I have no idea how well they work and since they are sometimes advertised on those shopping channels on TV I have my usual cynicism as to whether they are a)Any good and b) Are too expensive.
I've had a few bat houses around for a while, but never knew where to place them Trees? Structures? High? Low? N? S? E? W?
--
Barry

"Terry" < snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Brynk wrote:

Here is the whole story:
http://www.batcon.org/bhra/bhcriter.html
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Problem is bats are nocturnal. Most areas with mosquitoes have a large variety, some active at different times of day or night. Bats will not do in the daylight or early dusk mosquitoes.
As a note, some years ago, I was an official mosquitoes collector. A single trap caught over 200 varieties of mosquitoes in upstate NY!

After my share of cynicism...
Darned well here - 1 acre lot on MA.
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth] On 6 Jul 2004 19:46:39 GMT, Ignoramus5599

A thermonuclear bomb is the most effect device I can think of and about the only thing that is sure to do a 100% kill. Too bad it has a few undesirable effects ;-)
Back to the real world, light type devices are pretty useless for mosquitoes. The CO2 generator types seem very effective at reducing population. I tried a Mosquito Magnet, my sister another brand (don't remember the name) We are in different areas of MA.
We both have abutting wet land, in both cases, we get 5 or so bites a day, as opposed to being driven in the house.
I have found a downside to The Mosquito Magnet brand. I'm very susceptible to "blink outs - very short power outages. The Mosquito Magnet shuts off. The other brand uses a standing flame for CO2 and only the fan stops for the duration of power outage. Its design is such no damage is done with the fan not running.
Long term use is vital. CO2 attracts mosquitoes, so a trap is not effective except as population control. Constantly catch them and there are far fewer eggs to hatch.
Given apparent equal results, I prefer the design that stays running. Both are very effective in letting us enjoy our yards.
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

I tried two different brands, the "Mosquito Magnet" and another brand which name escapes me..The first one was very expensive, like 400.00 at Home Depot..We had it about two weeks and it attracted about a dozen skeeters..It went back to the store..Then we bought the other one at costco for right at 200.00, and it was even worse! I did some research and from what I read, different strains of mosquitos are more or less attracted to them..Something about lactic acid or something like that..Down here in south central Texas we have the Asian Tiger and they don't seem to be at all attracted to them..I have talked to several people who have tried them and they all got returned...I was most disappointed, as the idea was great...Just didn't work here so you might check around your area..Also the Mosquito magnet was more quiet, the other one made a hissing noise every few seconds sorta like a soda fountain..Guess it was a valve opening to allow the gas into the burner..Was most annoying... Good luck! John

I recently killed a skeeter that was almost half an inch across wingspan. It was on my calf eating me alive! It was striped and BIG. The biggest I ever saw here in South Texas.
We put minnows in our cattle troughs to help keep the skeeters down a bit. The Martins and Swallows and Bats are helpful too.
[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth] On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:40:49 -0500, "John"

I must get the brand my brother-in-law has. Very quiet and does not hove the power shutdown issue.
His uses a standing propane flame, Mosquito Magnets use a catalytic device & optionally odorants targeted for specific areas of the country. The odorant made no difference in my case. I called the company and they mentioned the odorant varies by region and targets some other biting insects. The odorant I had emulates ox breath!
Note, oxidize propane and you get the same byproducts via flame or hot catalytic device.
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com