Best mosquito killer?

Page 1 of 5
This post may sound corny, but it is completely serious.
I am looking to acquire some "mosquito killer" that would produce a lot of dead mosquitoes. One reason is obvious, I do not want to have mosquitoes in my yard. Another reason is that I could feed the zapped fried mosquitoes to my chickens (I have two chickens).
I bought some electrical "bug zapper" from Home Depot, but it is quite obviously a not so well working product, as I could kill more mosquitoes with my bare hands. I think that I will return it back.
The best killer is the hand, it's easy to operate, will not complain, and very affordable!

Wrong. Its hopeless.

And you'll get fuck all like that.
Capt Ron wrote: || The best killer is the hand, it's easy to operate, will not || complain, and very affordable!
A solution you also use for your sexual needs, no doubt! ROFL!!!!

Apparently the heavily advertised "Mosquito Magnet" does not work to most people's satisfaction - based on many many negative comments on consumer NG's.
I think the best solution is to put up a Purle Martin house. Those sleek and fast little birds will keep mosquitoes down to nothing.
Of course, you have two problems. No mosquitoes to feed to the chickens, and it is too late this year for purple martins since they have nested and busy teaching babies to eat mosquitoes. But, if you get a house and install and care for it per instructions, you won't even think about mosquitoes next year.
Bob

My father had one. He said it sucked and he returned it.

These guys work very well, I have three 12 room houses full to capacity. I think they're leaving soon. We also have barn swallows, which I encourage to nest in out eaves. They are on their second broods now.

sleek
Swallows tend to retire at the times of day when mosquitoes are most active. http://www.abirdshome.com/covesideswallowhouses.html
Swallows like to eat flies and ground insects http://arar.essortment.com/birdsswallows_rkfy.htm
Insects such as grasshoppers, crickets, dragonflies, beetles, and moths are the primary food sources http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Hirundo_rustica.html
Sure they may eat mosquitoes, but like purple martins, will only consider them a primary food source if there aren't any larger prey left. Why waste the energy catching prey on a mosquito when you could have a fly or dragonfly?
- Joanne

Understood, but we have nearly no mosquitoes and 36 pairs of Martins and at least as many Swallows at our ranch house, not including yearlings. We have had record rainfall (21 days straight) this summer with lots of standing water. SOMETHING is eating them. I hold that the Martins and Swallows are contributing. The nighthawks help too. There are only a few bats.
wrote in message

and
sleek
According to several studies of Purple Martin behavior and stomach contents, they eat larger insects, not mosquitoes.
http://www.purplemartin.org/update/MosCont.html
- Joanne

Anyone know if these things live in MD?
wrote in message

and
sleek
chickens,
and
My neighbor in south Anne Arundel County, MD, had a purple martin house and managed to attract and keep a nice colony of the birds. Unfortunately, they moved and took the bird house with them.
Instructions and info at http://www.purplemartin.org /
If you don't hose your property down with all sorts of chemicals, the chickens will find plenty of bugs without your help. As far as the mosquitoes and YOU, try and figure out where they're coming from. Maybe there's some standing water in one of the old pickup trucks that are rusting in your front yard.

Supposedly, those CO2 traps work very well, and can totally depopulate mosquitos about 1/2 acre square (I think, maybe it's more than that). When I mean depopulate, I mean kill them all. Mosquitos don't fly very far from home. Anyways, they used to be really expensive, but I saw one at Target for $150. They use propane to generate CO2, which the bugs think is a giant blood-filled animal, then get trapped and dehydrate. They really work, and are used by the U.S. Army and other government agencies. Some brands are better than others. Consumer Reports had an issue on these not too long ago. The nice thing is that it is very environmentally friendly--no chemicals, and they only kill mosquitos, not other innocent bugs.
Thanks,
Mike
Ignoramus5599 wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:43:34 -0400, "Mike (remove XX's to reply)"

I have two large "Mosquito Magnets" manufactured by American Biophysics. We've used two of them for about 5 years now (0ne has been replaced). Yes, they do work and everything said above is true. The downside is that they become very hard to start after about the third year. American Biophysics must know this as they have a regular trade-in program. They each use a tank of propane in about 3 weeks (cost about $10.00 for a refill) plus Octenol replacement cartridge (cost about $5.00) plus you are supposed to replace the net (forgot what they cost). So, they're not cheap to buy and they're not cheap to run, but... they do work.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
L. M. Rappaport wrote:

Agreed. I have had the Mosquito Magnet for 3 years. My first one ran fine until about half way through the second season, when it quit. They replaced it free of charge. The second one never worked at all, but the third one seems fine. The "quick-clear valve" thing seems to have alleviated the dirty valve problem. Mine keeps my city lot essentially free of mosquitoes. Before, I couldn't use my back yard. It's located away from my deck, so the skeeters are attratcted away from me.
Never replaced a net. I just wash 'em. My goldfish love the dehydrated bugs.
Raymond

Notes:
- Octenol is not used to target mosquitoes - I called them and they do not recommend it for my area/
- newer units have a clean out mechanism to help solve the starting problem
- Being catalytic, the catalyst will age and fail. Makes me interested in the standing flame units offered by others.
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

wrote (with possible editing):
...snip

That's surprising, since they told me just the opposite. Regardless, the units both do seem to attract the two worst pests up here in northern NH: black flies and mosquitoes.

Yes, they do, one of ours (a replacement for the unit which died) has that built in. However, the clean out mechanism requires the purchase of CO2 cylinders, which are hard to get in our area. They are available, however, on special order through NAPA auto parts stores.

The catalyst is allegedly platinum. Interesting that you say it will age and fail. American Biophysics has never told (perhaps "admitted" is a better word!) that and I think I would have been disinclined to purchase the units at about $1200 each if I had known they had a limited lifespan. Do you know how many operating hours they are supposed to last ?
Thanks, Gerry,
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Don't you have bars and resturants? They use CO2 to dispense soft drinks and beer. Try a welding store or a resturant supply. You may have to buy the first cylinder and swap it out each time but they will usually just rent you one.