Best material to cover garbage bin wheels

Page 3 of 3

That said, I bet this is a good application for a piece of an old leather belt.
nate
On 05/04/2010 03:35 AM, Bob-tx wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Put the trash out the night before, when you get home from work.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I'd try cutting chunks out of a used mountain bike tire. Wrap them around the wheel, cut them a fraction short, then stich them on using baling wire, probably on the sides where the wire won't wear. Twist the wire tight to make them snug. The tire bead may be the strongest place to wire them.

I finally got around to this project. I thought I'd post the results, in case anyone cares...
I could not find an inner tube with the right diameter. I bought one from a local auto parts store, but it was way too small. I am not strong enough to stretch it over the wheels.
Next, I went to the local hardware store looking for padded tape, weather stripping, rubber strips, etc. I ended up buying a roll of runner garage door sealer and a roll of Gorilla tape. The garage door sealer is what gets nailed to the bottom of garage doors to form a seal.
The Gorilla tape is fairly thick, so I first tried wrapping the wheels with just that. One wrapping cut the noise by 30-40%. Not bad. I put on 2 more wraps (3 total), which reduced the noise by about 50-60%. Not quiet, but much better. And this was with an empty bin. They are much quieter when full. The heavier they are the quieter they roll.
One the second bin, I cut a length of the garage door sealer and taped it to the wheels with the Gorilla tape. This was at least as effective as the Gorilla tape alone. But the rubber strip was too wide (almost 3"), so I took it off, cut it down to about 1.5" and retaped it.
One the last bin, I applied the rubber sealer and an extra wrap or Gorilla tape. This combination cuts the noise by about 60-70%.
After playing with it a bit, I realized that the noise is not just from the wheels bouncing along on the pavers. There is a lot of noise from the axle and bearings. So even if I had low pressure air tires, there would still be some noise.
Anyway, this solution is fairly cheap and reasonably quick and it does a passable job.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
http://roll-tech.net/snap-on6x1-34wheels.aspx
On Monday, May 3, 2010 at 9:34:52 AM UTC-7, Prof Wonmug wrote:

http://roll-tech.net/snap-on6x1-34wheels.aspx
How about these: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161117054920&SearchText=pram+baby+wheel+cover
This might work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BSZM2E/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_5GBlyb9YPS3W7
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 9:03:03 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's been 6 years since the OP asked for a solution.
Unfortunately, you are too late. He is now deaf from the racket his garbage has been making all these years.
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 8:46:26 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Actually I'm surprised to not see this 'helpful' reply from HomeMoanersHub. Those screwballs are notorious for dragging up old, old, old posts and replying to them.