Best material to cover garbage bin wheels (2023 Update)

Go to a tire dealer that sells big truck tires. See if they have some take off inner tubes (damaged ones) Find one slightly smaller than what you need. Cut for width. Use contact cement on wheels. Stretch cut tube to go on wheel. I did this when our children were small and we had oak floors. Really works. Still have some of those toys and grand kids have used them. These were home made riding toys with wood wheels. WW

Reply to
WW

I think you are looking at this wrong. A tube from a car tire might work, maybe a little smaller. Don't use the whole diameter of the tube. Lay it flat like an "O" and cut it from the inside to the outside, you could cut 30 or so rubber bands from one tube. And the local tire store probably has a few old tubes free of charge.

Reply to
Tony

The inner tube rubber band fix was my first thought also.

Reply to
Tony

A nice big LOL!

Reply to
Tony

Aha! Use the cross section -- not the diamater. Duh. I probably never would have thought of that. Thanks.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Then Duct Tape, oh maybe two ply.

Reply to
Oren

Well, I hear you. But in my case, for example, I don't actually *own* the bins - the trash collection company provided them, so I would not want to mess with them. Also, these bins are built to take quite some beating - they are being thrown around manually as well as with the hydraulic arm, so your "enhanced" design would have to include something like military-grade wheels (and I'm not talking about the kind used on the cart in the opening scene of "Hurt Locker" :))

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

You might consider the possibility of storing the bins and hand truck in approximately the same area. You might have one extra trip each week, but I'd imagine that there is some awkwardness and aggravation in rolling two containers side-by-side as a trip-saver anyway.

Reply to
mike

That said, I bet this is a good application for a piece of an old leather belt.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

=3D=3D Just "pop-rivet" the chosen material to the wheels. Should work like a charm. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Yeah, Toter is that way. Check your yellow pages for Compacter repair/parts, Baler repair/parts or other such things. One of them will probably carry the toter line. Let your fingers do the walking . The city will probably never notice that you chamged the wheels.

Reply to
rmorton

That's a good point. The gorillas that collect the garbage throw them around pretty good. That's a strong argument against anything glued to the existing wheels.

I'm currently leaning toward these semi-pneumatic tires from Global at $34/pair and rated for 500 lbs:

Or these fully pneumatic tires from from Amazon at $16/pair and rated for 300 lbs:

I'll probably go with the semi-pneumatic to avoid flats and because they look sturdier.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

I'm probably going to get these semi-pneumatic tires from Global at $34/pair and rated for 500 lbs. I think it will be ahrd to beat that price.

Prof Wonmug

Wouldn't it be funny (well, maybe not for you) if the garbage collectors swapped your cans with their $34 semi-pneumatic tires with someone else's cans with their regular noisy tires?

Fake ID

Man!!! I wish I had problems in life like Professor whatever, and had to worry about the noise my trash can made once or twice a week. Get something real to woryy about. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Ear plugs!

Reply to
beecrofter

Paint your name or house number on the cans so they don't wander!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Put the trash out the night before, when you get home from work.

I'd try cutting chunks out of a used mountain bike tire. Wrap them around the wheel, cut them a fraction short, then stich them on using baling wire, probably on the sides where the wire won't wear. Twist the wire tight to make them snug. The tire bead may be the strongest place to wire them.

Reply to
Bob F

Where I live, thay do that before they deliver them.

Reply to
Bob F