Best material to cover garbage bin wheels

Page 2 of 3

Duct Tape Joe G
On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:42:11 -0700 (PDT), GROVER

(heh). I thought of that (first thought, actually), but I wonder if (a) it would provide very much cushioning or noise damping without several layers and (b) how long it would last.
On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:42:11 -0700 (PDT), GROVER

+ 1
Even use matching colors ..
Prof Wonmug wrote:

You might find some rubber wheels at Harbor Freight that will fit it. I can imagine the sound it makes because back in the late 1980's I had a little 3 year old buddy next door who's parents gave him soft drinks containing a lot of sugar and caffeine. At five in the morning he would be on his Big Wheel zipping up and down the sidewalk outside my window. It sounded like a concrete mixer.
TDD

re: 3 YO and Hot Wheels
I'd like to know who signed off on using pavers/tile in supermarkets, especially with the huge grout lines.
Don't you think they'd want a flat surface so that customers have a nice relaxing experience and might want to hang out longer?
I can't wait to get out any areas with pavers (typically the produce department and sometimes the bakery) to get away from the clunk clunk clunk of the shopping cart wheels.
If they think that they make people slow down in those departments, it doesn't work for me.
Wear ear plugs, and walk up and down for an hour or so?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
>Wear ear plugs, and walk up and down for an hour or so?
>-- Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
> I'd like to know who signed off on using >pavers/tile in supermarkets, especially with the huge grout lines. Don't you think they'd want a flat surface so that customers have a >nice relaxing experience and might want to hang out longer? I can't wait to get out any areas with pavers (typically the produce >department and sometimes the bakery) to get away from the clunk clunk clunk of the shopping cart wheels. If they think that they make >people slow down in those departments, it doesn't work for me.
They use clay tile for three main reasons- style, easy upkeep, and reduced slip'n'fall accidents. The 12" commercial vinyl? tile that most stores had for last 40-some years, with normal commercial wax on top, is very slippery when wet. In produce section, a single dropped grape can put a customer on their ass. In wet/winter weather, low person on employee totem pole spends pretty much their entire shift pushing the mop bucket around. The clay tile has a matte surface, and only needs a deep cleaning/sealing every few months. You can wet-mop all day, and it is safe to walk on in seconds.
--
aem sends...

m...
Not to mention that they don't want you to hang around all day. It's not a bar.

So you can't live with it for the 30 seconds, ONCE A WEEK, it takes to drag the bin from the house to the curb, and back again? Is this the most pressing problem you have in your life?
On Mon, 3 May 2010 12:35:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Well, it was. But now it's trying to tolerate jerks.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

A nice big LOL!

== Just "pop-rivet" the chosen material to the wheels. Should work like a charm. ==
Man!!! I wish I had problems in life like Professor whatever, and had to worry about the noise my trash can made once or twice a week. Get something real to woryy about. Bob-tx

Hey- I'm *glad* I've got a neighbor who is a considerate as the Prof.
If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap them on the wheels.
Jim

Thanks. It is partly for the benefit of the neighbors, but mainly for my wife. I usually take them out about 6am when I get up. she is still sleeping and the bedroom window is right above the driveway. I've taken to taking them out the night before since the new driveway.

First, I'd need to find a 10" inner tube, then a way to keep it in place. Maybe an 8" tube, so I'd really have to snap it in place.

Go to a tire dealer that sells big truck tires. See if they have some take off inner tubes (damaged ones) Find one slightly smaller than what you need. Cut for width. Use contact cement on wheels. Stretch cut tube to go on wheel. I did this when our children were small and we had oak floors. Really works. Still have some of those toys and grand kids have used them. These were home made riding toys with wood wheels. WW
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I think you are looking at this wrong. A tube from a car tire might work, maybe a little smaller. Don't use the whole diameter of the tube. Lay it flat like an "O" and cut it from the inside to the outside, you could cut 30 or so rubber bands from one tube. And the local tire store probably has a few old tubes free of charge.

Aha! Use the cross section -- not the diamater. Duh. I probably never would have thought of that. Thanks.

Then Duct Tape, oh maybe two ply.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The inner tube rubber band fix was my first thought also.