Best material to cover garbage bin wheels

Page 1 of 3

In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt. Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels make a horrible racket.
I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,
a. The right material to use, and
b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.
There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.
Replace the plastic with rubber wheels.
Do you have a hand truck with rubber-like or pneumatic tires?
mike wrote:

That's what I would do - just load it up on a hand truck with good tires instead of dragging it on its own. If you don't have a hand truck, it makes sense to get one - a very useful device indeed.
EOT
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
--
+-[ SERVER SIGNATURE ]-----------------------+
| Delivered via http://www.homeownershub.com |
On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:01:30 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

Yes, I have a hand truck, but it's in the garage so I'd have to go get it and then put it back. Also, I have three bins (garbage plus recycling) to put out. I can make it in 2 trips now. With the hand truck, I'd need three.
I want better wheels!!!

No-- you need a 'lowboy' wagon that hold all three carts- with whatever cheap wheels you like. Then you'll save two trips down your driveway every week and eliminate the noise.
Jim
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Re-Best-material-to-cover-garbage-bin-wheels-440156-.htm Prof Wonmug wrote:

Well, I hear you. But in my case, for example, I don't actually *own* the bins - the trash collection company provided them, so I would not want to mess with them. Also, these bins are built to take quite some beating - they are being thrown around manually as well as with the hydraulic arm, so your "enhanced" design would have to include something like military-grade wheels (and I'm not talking about the kind used on the cart in the opening scene of "Hurt Locker" :))
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
--
+--------[ SERVER SIGNATURE ]----------------+
| Delivered via http://www.homeownershub.com |
On Mon, 03 May 2010 22:21:50 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

That's a good point. The gorillas that collect the garbage throw them around pretty good. That's a strong argument against anything glued to the existing wheels.
I'm currently leaning toward these semi-pneumatic tires from Global at $34/pair and rated for 500 lbs:
http://tinyurl.com/37yubl7
Or these fully pneumatic tires from from Amazon at $16/pair and rated for 300 lbs:
http://tinyurl.com/39l4d5p
I'll probably go with the semi-pneumatic to avoid flats and because they look sturdier.

You might consider the possibility of storing the bins and hand truck in approximately the same area. You might have one extra trip each week, but I'd imagine that there is some awkwardness and aggravation in rolling two containers side-by-side as a trip-saver anyway.

You might be able to find similar rubber wheels in Harbor Freight or your local farm supply store. A little jury-rigging might be needed, but it's worth a shot.

The existing wheels are 10" diameter x 2" wide with a 22" x 5/8" axle. The wheels don't have any bushings or bearings. The axles just go through a 5/8" hole in the plastic in the wheel.
I couldn't find anything at Harbor Freight, but I did find a few other sources.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/
These guys have all kinds of replacement parts for carts of various types. They have whole kits including two wheels, 18" axle (too short for me), washers, and cotter pins. They have fully pneumatic, semi-pneumatic, and molded rubber. I don't need or want fully pneumatic. The semi-pneumatic looks good. I assume this means unpressurized with a thicker tire and smaller air space. The solid rubber only comes in 8" diameter.
The semi-pneumatic kit is just $34:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/hand-trucks-dollies/hand-trucks-replacement-parts/universal-semi-pneumatic-10-hand-truck-wheel-kit
Curiously, individual tires are $22 each.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/hand-trucks-dollies/hand-trucks-replacement-parts/10-semi-pneumatic-wheel-magliner-hand-truck
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
This is a pair of 300 lb test fully pneumatic tires for $16. If they were semi-pneumatic, I would be sold.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1&pf_rd_i01GBPPRK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_rR13YJZ6E417PV3GA78
This is a semi-pneumatic, but the bore is only 1/2". $11 for one.
http://www.northerntool.com/
These guys also have lots of wheels, but I couldn't find any that looked to be the right size. They also tended to be more expensive.
http://www.hamiltoncaster.com/CatalogPartDetail/tabid/361/Default.aspx?PartId=W-10-SU-5/8
This looks to be a very nice tire. At $65, it should be.
http://www.wheeleez.com/utilitywheels.php
About the right size (10" x 2"), but none with 5/8 axle. Most have a 3/4"
http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-truck-wheels/10-inch/4567+1663+4294870594.cfm
Cost $20-$50/wheel and I need 6.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=rubber+Wheels&op=search&Ntt=rubber+Wheels&N=0&sst=subset
Up to $100/wheel.

If you have a lawn to the curb just roll it through the lawn. If you don't own the bin the company might not want you to modify it. If you do own it and don't have a lawn either:
A. Replace the wheels with hard rubber wheels. B. Take your trash out during the day when it won't disturb anyone.
On 5/3/2010 12:34 PM, Prof Wonmug wrote:

Wheels of the correct size and rubber tired are available from most of the can manufacturers. Check the can to see who the manufacturer is and then contact them for a dealer in your area. Most of the dealers will sell tires, axles etc to anyone as repair parts. Guess on price would be about $10 per wheel

The manufacturer is Toter (http://www.toter.com /). The person I talked to was arrogant and annoyed to have been bothered by a mere resident. She said that those are the "standard" wheels and seemed offended that anyone would even suggest replacing them. She even suggested that I might be breaking the law, since they are owned by the city.
On 5/3/2010 3:58 PM, Prof Wonmug wrote:

Yeah, Toter is that way. Check your yellow pages for Compacter repair/parts, Baler repair/parts or other such things. One of them will probably carry the toter line. Let your fingers do the walking . The city will probably never notice that you chamged the wheels.

I'm probably going to get these semi-pneumatic tires from Global at $34/pair and rated for 500 lbs. I think it will be ahrd to beat that price.
http://tinyurl.com/37yubl7

Wouldn't it be funny (well, maybe not for you) if the garbage collectors swapped your cans with their $34 semi-pneumatic tires with someone else's cans with their regular noisy tires?
On May 4, 1:48am, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

Paint your name or house number on the cans so they don't wander!

Where I live, thay do that before they deliver them.

You could try weatherstripping.
It comes in rolls, in various widths, thicknesses and hardnesses. And it's self-adhesive on one side. Home Depot or Lowes will have it.
It might be a bit soft and not too durable, but it's worth a shot.
--
Tegger