Best Low-Light Low-Cost Security Camera?

Anybody have recommendations for a low-cost security camera that's actually good in low light?
Are the units integrating IR LEDs any good?
TIA!
Mark

Not really. All of the low-cost cameras I've seen were pretty poor in low light.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. Most of the inexpensive cameras with IR arrays have such weak illumination that you can't tell who is there or what they are doing beyond a few feet.
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Try www.supercircuits.com they have one that goes to 735 feet, they carry one for every budjet
gmark wrote:

image you will need to spend some money.
Try a Bosch VDN-495V03-20. This is not for folks looking for bargain cameras.

I have one of those round bullet shaped wireless IR cameras I found on Ebay for about $10, they are usually more like $30 or so. If you are looking at something within 15 feet or less you can tell the difference between a cat and a raccoon but don't expect much more than that. It is more like something you would use to see if the wind tripped your motion light or whether it was a crtitter, human or otherwise.. I doubt the picture would be evidence in court.

from buffalo ny: regarding your project, your who/what/where/when/why/how answers will narrow down your choices, some ir's are visible as red at night, if your front porch camera is indoors behind glass those lights will cause a reflection. maybe your camera needs to be in an outdoor heated enclosure to monitor a basement water meter subject to freezing for example. to me i needed a wide viewing angle and low lux for the front door. the color cameras usually shift to black and white after dark, so you need to review specs if you need more light. a simple indoor installation to monitor a wandering grandma might be a simpler indoor camera on a motion sensing alarm trigger circuit related to a full door and window triggered home alarm. may i suggest you browse your camera needs here, i have purchased from this ebay seller, a favorite of mine, and he has excellent item descriptions: http://stores.ebay.com/Dennis6z7a
Best low light camera I have used is the Extreme CCTV monochrome cameras. Check out a shot I just took over the internet from my remote DVR. The camera is looking through a front window. You can see the siren in the upper right hand corner of the photo.
http://www.geocities.com/noweldrecumbent/CAM1.JPG
Keep in mind the DVR is set at the lowest resolution, at 1 frame per second. Dave

not bad for the lowest...what's the best look like?
wrote: | >> Anybody have recommendations for a low-cost security camera that's | >> actually good in low light? | >> | >> Are the units integrating IR LEDs any good? | >> | >> TIA! | >> | >> Mark | > | > from buffalo ny: | > regarding your project, your who/what/where/when/why/how answers will | > narrow down your choices, some ir's are visible as red at night, if | > your front porch camera is indoors behind glass those lights will | > cause a reflection. maybe your camera needs to be in an outdoor heated | > enclosure to monitor a basement water meter subject to freezing for | > example. to me i needed a wide viewing angle and low lux for the front | > door. the color cameras usually shift to black and white after dark, | > so you need to review specs if you need more light. a simple indoor | > installation to monitor a wandering grandma might be a simpler indoor | > camera on a motion sensing alarm trigger circuit related to a full | > door and window triggered home alarm. may i suggest you browse your | > camera needs here, i have purchased from this ebay seller, a favorite | > of mine, and he has excellent item descriptions: | > http://stores.ebay.com/Dennis6z7a | > | |

I saw your post about the low light cameras. Which camera model is it and what is the website address?