Best liquid drain opener

Page 2 of 2
On 12/11/03 1:24 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, "Bill Seurer"

I have the same problem with my shower drain. The trap is not accessible.
Bob wrote:

Is it a tub shower? I had to clean out the one in our guest bathroom just yesterday. There's a little screw on the drain plug that lets it be removed and then it's trivial to clean out all the hair that's blocking it. My previous house had different kinds of tubs but the drain plugs could be removed one way or another.
Is it a standalone shower? You can probably remove the screws from the drain cover to lift it off and then pull out the huge wad of hair'n'gunk that's blocking it. They sell these serrated plastic strips at places like Menards that make it easy if you are stumped how to fish it out.
Walter Cohen wrote:

is what i did.. bought one of those $12.00 ones of 25 ft.long 1/4 inch diamater cable, its in a plastic case that has a handle to turn or you attach it to an electric drill ( i always used the hand ones and would always have trouble getting it down the drain..) the one with the thing to attache to an electric drill worked great. the spring cable turns and shoves itself down the drain... it took me about 10 minutes to do it the last time in the bath sink... used to take me over an hour playing around pulling it out and trying to get it back in to go down.. no more, its easy now.....think i got it at homedepot??? cost about $12 to $15 at most......... never use chemicals in your drain.. i had a $4800 plumbing repair bill where they had to dig under my concrete slab to repair the pipes that were all eaten up after a local plumber used some chemicals on my drain after using an arger to clean it out... he said it would clean all the other stuff the auger did not remove.. boy was he right, it removed the metal pipe.....
I bought one those infommercial gadgets !! it looks like a BIG water gun - you put the appropriate rubber thingy (for sink, bathtub, commode, shower, etc.) on the end , then pump it up like a garden sprayer, stick the rubber thingy over the drain, cover up the vent(s), pull the trigger, and BAM the commpressed air clears the drain. It REALLY WORKS (unlike most gadgets I buy).

snipped-for-privacy@lmco.com (Larry Daniels) writes:

It might work too good one of these days. DWV isn't intended to withstand being pressurized. The chrome waste pipes under my sink are just hooked together with those wimpy compression fittings...
-Mike
Walter Cohen (w snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wrote...

I used to use this stuff called Liquid Fire. Very effective. Immediately after pouring it in you could hear it working and sees little wisps of smoke coming out of the drain. Wouldn't use it in my house, but didn't seem to have a problem using it in the apartment we were renting at the time :)
Not sure if they sell it anymore or not. Bought it at a "mom & pops" hardware store.
-Chris
C.Swartz wrote:

it in MY HOUSE?? bet you would not mind trashing the persons property either????
jim ( snipped-for-privacy@noname.com) wrote...

At the time we did not even think about damage to the pipes. Guess you could say I didn't know any better at the time. But, with that landlord I would say, yeah... I'd do it again now. Heck, I'd pour battery acid down it this time :)
-Chris
I use Liquid Fire in my home. It's the only thing that works. It eats hair and other "stuff". Won't hurt your plumbing if you use as directed.
It is a strong solution of sulfuric acid. Battery acid as someone mentioned.
WLW

I have a similar drain in my bath tub and I use the foaming Drano (the one with two compartments). I apply it at night and the next morning the drain is as open as ever. I use it about twice a year.

When I bought my house it had partially clogged sinks. I tried using the chemicals, but they didn't work very good. The enzyme stuff did absoluteoy nothing, and the acid did little. I augered everything, pulling out huge clumps of hair, and they have worked good ever since.