Best liquid drain opener

Page 1 of 2
I have a problematic bathroom sink which gets clogged a few times each year. I tried some of the store brands to limited success. I've tried Pequa opener (got at Home Depot) which seems to work a bit better. I've tried augers but can't get the wire completely down into the pipes.
I am still looking for ideas on a better/best liquid/crystal drain opener for hair (and whatever else is in a bathroom sink) clog and where I can purchase it.
Ideas welcome. Thanks. Walter

I pour 1-2 cups of bleach down the drain, let it set for 30 minutes, then follow it with a kettle full of boiling water. Works every time.
Dee

Why don't you just open the P trap and clean it up manually. Do it once, and you won't have a clogged drain for years. I hate to think of all these chemicals (most of the time useless) being poured down drains.

---------------------------
----------------------------- Agreed. It's very easy to do and works better than any chemical.
(Remove mypants to reply by email)

and
I had drains that I put a lot of liquid down. Let it set overnight. Hot water flushes. Cold water flushes.
Then I took off the P trap and found the hair causing the problem. Hair gone. No problem. And if there is a problem farther in than that, get one of those inflating thinguses you put into the pipe and it inflates to seal the pipe and blow the blockage away. That pipe will drain into a larger one, so when the blockage reaches the larger pipe, it should be on its way.
If'n that don't work, call a pro. They will get your pipes moving again.
Steve

BTW, plumbers *hate* it when you call them after dumping a bunch of chemicals down the drain. "Dissolves grease and hair" is an advertising ploy, not a reliable solution.
Yeah, they are the best. Available in several sizes for different size drains. The product is called 'Drain King' and is manufactured by G.T. Water Products - www.gtwaterproducts.com. They cost about $15. and are available at Home Depot. You simply insert one end into the clogged drain pipe and hook your garden hose up to the other end. The Drain King device swells up to form a seal in the drain pipe and then shoots water thru the drain pipe at high pressure blowing the clogging material out. I have an ensuite bathroom suite where the sink drain plugs up every few years. Part of the drain pipe runs uphill and I think that is what causes the blockage to build up. The Drain King device clears things up in a few minutes and then it is the fastest running drain in the house for a while. The clog that I get is after the P trap. When I check, the P trap is always clean. With Drain King, the fix is easy and lasts for several years before it clogs up again. I highly recommend this innovative device. It is simple to use and more than pays for itself on it's first use.

weirdly enough. ive heard they arent available in LA county. something to do with people "blowing up" their drain lines?
Guess they use cheap drain pipe materials in LA county. Mine are all metal - brass, I think. No problem.

This inflatable-thing -- how does it work?
That is, where do you place it, and then for the blockage to be "blown away", where do you introduce the (air?) pressure -- and how?
Thanks
David
Hi All,
That's good advice on manually cleaning traps, esp. if it's been a while. It pays to put a little silicone-based grease on the trap threads the first time, and it'll make the job w ahile lot easier the next.
I never use chemical cleaners here. When we have a drain problem, be it tub or sink, I grab the ol' 6 gal wetvac. 'Have a tub drain that used to be a real pain to clean, but it's a breeze with the vac.
I just fill the nearby sink with really hot water, and run the wet vac in the tub rain while draining the sink. Backflushed it like this about a *year* ago and haven't had to touch it since. 'Was about once/month before, with our 3 teenage daughters who wash their hair some 2-3 times/day.
I think the wetvacs have to be the handiest tools I own. 'Use one every day in my appliance service business. We've come up with at least 15 uses for one around a home, and I'm sure there are a bunch more.
--
God bless,

Dave Harnish
The "inflatable thing" provides pressure and repeated impulses at a pressure that doesn't exceed your water pressure. They work well for pressurizing a pipe ahead of a blockage. However, there is very little volume of water, so opening anything but total a blockage is likely not going to happen. Once a small opening has been created there will be little improvement because of the limited flow through the device.
RB
David Combs wrote:

We use a friendly bacteria based product in our drains. Mix a little with warm water and pour it down the drain before bedtime. I have not found it in stores but only from our local Roto-Rooter guy.
It knocks out the smell in our disposal and shower drain. Great Stuff!
Randy
Fits onto the end of a garden hose. Small nozzle. Big expanding bladder. Turn water on, bladder expands and is (supposed to) block the line so that the water pressure goes down the drain.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

year.
I've never had much luck with any of the mechanical or chemical home cures. The quickest, easiest solution is to call a drain cleaning firm. $75 and 2 hours later it was open.

It's called "elbow grease". Most sink traps are trivial to take apart and unclog. Just do it a couple times a year or when it slows down.
I have to agree with cleaning out the drain mechanically, rather than with chemicals that could damage parts (including body parts). I found that a gallon of boiling water down the drain will quickly clear it out. Or, block the overflow tightly with a wet rag and use a plumber's helper, followed up with hot water.