Best line of the night

Page 9 of 11

Yes, the colony was established by people fleeing religious persecution in England, and established a most similar religiously persecuting community in the new colony. Has been often held up for ridicule. Wasn't Rhode Island established by religious refugees from Mass.?
The fact that something is or was established by (civil or religious) law, doesn't make it righteous! (which is of course only in the eye of the beholder)
--
Best regards
Han

it just makes me sick that this amendment is taken out of context constantly. It was written to keep the Government out of the church. NOT to keep the church out of the government. There IS no separation, and those words 'church and state' do not appear in the text.
--
Steve Barker

founding fathers that legalized slavery and prohibited women from voting wouldn't get much compassion for how they felt about what we've done or become.

fortunately we've seen just how smart it is to keep the church and state seperate
With the elected immoral types we have now, I'd sure prefer to have church going and religious elected reps. State without church is like an axe murderer without a conscience.

fortunately we've seen just how smart it is to keep the church and state seperate

this is what those seeking to be ruled by the taliban said in Afghanistan

State with church will regulate what music you listen to, how you may or may not dance, what you can read, what internet sites you cannot visit and what you can look at or listen to on tv, radio and magazines.
Three cheers for the American Taliban and how they'd get rid of those axes

I like your analogy, but posit that there is no need to be religious to be "good" - at least I have convinced a friend with deeply religious beliefs and a far, far right political view to say so of me ... And I am proud he said that.
--
Best regards
Han

Nope. It, like a lot of what the constitution says, just says that they can't pass laws establishing a religion, not that individuals can't do what they want merely because they are government employees. I actually think about the only time they got it right recenty was on the pledge of allegiance. The "under God" wasn't in the original until a law was passed adding it. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" pretty much says that it has to go. I also find it interesting that those pushing for this separation are actually calling for the prohibition of the free exercise thereof.

It should, according to that reasoning.
--
Best regards
Han

and you don't see that as requiring a separation?

requiring those that are irreligious, non-religious or even non-xian to be involuntarily exposed to xianity is defacto a state church

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Er, no. First, you've got to establish who exactly IS a Christian. I know that Southern Baptists do not consider Mexican Catholics to be Christians. A near-majority of non-Mormons don't think the Mormon Church is a Christian entity. And so on.
I can't imagine getting anywhere close to unanimity on the definition. Without a firm test, you're doomed.

if you believe in christ you are a xian. you may not like how the Mexican Catholics, Southern Baptists or Mormons approach their worship, but they are all praying to the same god

This reminds me of a true story in the Netherlands. Guy was rather orthodox protestant, not anywhere near Anglican. Met a Catholic girl. Converted, and became so Catholic that his wife divorced him ...
--
Best regards
Han
Oren wrote:

You can cite me as an authoratitive source. I HAVE heard it from a member of the Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. He was a missionary to Mexico. He asserted that "Catholics" in Mexico are really pagan Aztecs wrapped in some symbology of the Church.

But hasn't that often been the way of the (Catholic) church?
--
Best regards
Han

I've seen a documentary showing much the same. Knew a Mexican (don't know if he was American yet, or even legal) in Chicago whose kid was a friend of one of my kids. He told me his wife was a hair-yanker and could cure just about anything. Described to me how hanks of hair on different parts of the skull controlled different parts of the body. By yanking the hanks in a controlled manner, cures were had. All voodoo to me. Don't know if he was a Catholic, never asked.
--Vic

I certainly have. My aunt was such a Southern Babtist (though she lived in far Northern Wisconsin ;-). She used to argue religion with heathen from the RC church behind their house.

She belonged to the Southern Babtist Church; the same church you spoke of (you did use the proper name ;).

Some believe Catholics are Christians, some don't. Some believe LDSers are Christian, some don't. ;-)

And then you have Southern Babtists, only some of whom actually live in the South ;-)

Come on, spill it!