Best line of the night

Page 8 of 11

Disagree, it all is part of having respect for other people's views. If you want to preach or pray amongst people who share your views, go ahead, but public schools are for everyone, just like government is for everybody. If you want to do those things to others, they have the right to shut you up, politely. E.g., you're not supposed to yell fire in a movie theatre, especially if there is no fire. Now if there ever was prior restraint, that is it.
--
Best regards
Han

This is the part that I have the most trouble with. People often spout about the need to respect other's views by pretty much disrespecting MY views. If those views aren't the ones they are happy with.

I admit that's a tricky thing, and I had to edit my response before I sent it along <grin>. If I sometimes write too stridently, it's "the heat of the moment", and no disrespect is intended, except in answer to truly egregious statements <'nother grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

Same with me, that was a general observation based on your observation. Nothing business, its just personal (grin)

Bullshit. You want to censor others views. PC is *exactly* that.

Does it hurt you if I pray for an 'A'? Does it hurt you if the football team prays for a win? Does it kill you if a pastor blesses a scout father-son diner being served in a public school?

If other don't want to pray, yes, they can simply shut up. What damage is it really causing them?

Don't change the subject. We were talking about one "representative" of a group of public high school kids leading the whole group, or giving a valedictorian speech or some such. That's totally different from an individual mumbling a prayer for him/her self. I have no objection to that unless it is coercive. Or if it leads to mass hysteria as those girls in a high school near Buffalo NY, who got into weird tics of some kind.
--
Best regards
Han

sort of religious remark because that somehow establishes a government religion is completely off base. Now if they were leading a prayer, that could be something entirely different.

Indeed, that was my point, in somewhat softer language.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm not.

Or a football team. Or a scout troup. Or...

Mass hysteria? I'm glad you're a doctor who can diagnose such from 300mi. You're better than House.

Yes you were <grin>.

Those may be different. Is the football team public, then any public utterance should refrain from religious utterances. The BSA is indeed a religion-conscious institution, in most cases, although individual troops may be less so.

There was quite a bit to do about this, and the final consensus was a case of mass hysteria, as published in several places, 60 minutes as an example.
--
Best regards
Han

Sorry, but it's you who's the king of the red herring.

Musn't have free speech in public, after all. <rolls eyes>

60 Minutes?! Now there is an example of perfect research meets perfect journalism. You're crackin' me up today!

The so-called "respect for other people's views" is nothing but crude justification for silencing those whose views YOU do not like It's disingenuous to the point of downright dishonest. PC )Political Correctness) is nothing but a variant of prior restraint. Free Speech must include 2 things to be free 1) The only restraint is the one the speaker chooses voluntarily to avoid being offensive 2) The Speaker can NOT be muzzled to avoid offending others. PC fails on both counts

PC? what does that have to do with anything?
And I wish that speakers would always choose voluntarily to avoid being offensive. That would be best. A speech at the end of a school year by a teenager to a bunch of teenagers may need review to comply with the avoidance of being offensive. I can't remember whether my daughter's speech was reviewed, but I was impressed by what she concocted on that occasion.
As to your number 2 - since listening to a valedictorian speech isn't entirely voluntary, I can envision some review. But, as before, I don't know whether it is practiced.
--
Best regards
Han

Not surprised you're clueless about that At least you're consistent
<snip irrelevant anecdote>

Funny how not knowing doesn't stop you from pontificating

That type of anecdote (the one you snipped, a valedictorian's address) was what this was about ...

--
Best regards
Han

Another attempt to move the goalpost (again)

No it is *NOT*. You said you would "edit" for content. That's prior restraint.

There is nothing protecting you from speech in a public place. OTOH, you can choose not to listen.

No, they do not. They have a right to make that request but other have no right to shut you up. That *is* censorship (prior restraint).

You're way over the line. That's reckless endangerment. There is absolutely *no* comparison between this and religious speech (which *IS* protected). I suggest a little remedial civics.

It is, a speech as an official act at a public school should exhibit restraint. Period.

There is nothing (etc, as you say) from an adlibbed speech or even a prepared speech in a public space, but that is different from an official speech at a function of a public school.

Again you are missing the point - I am talking about an official speech at a function of a public school.

I am crying now ...
--
Best regards
Han

No, it is, by definition, an opinion piece. Limiting one's expressed opinion is prior restraint.

A lotta words, no meaning.

A valedictory speech is not an "official function". It is, by definition, an editorial.

You lefties do that a *lot*.
Larry W wrote:

Er, no. It wasn't until 1946 that the so-called "Establishment of Religion" clause was imposed upon the states. Until that time, any state could have a "state sponsored" religion.
For example, the Massachusetts Constitution read, in part:
"...the people of this commonwealth have a right to invest their legislature with power to authorize and require, and the legislature shall, from time to time, authorize and require, the several towns, parishes, precincts, and other bodies politic, or religious societies, to make suitable provision, at their own expense, for the institution of the public worship of God, and for the support and maintenance of public Protestant teachers of piety, religion and morality, in all cases where such provision shall not be made voluntarily."