Best line of the night

Page 3 of 11

You should only hire occupiers who have degrees in Ancient Egyptian Literature, >$100K in student loans, and live in mommy's basement. They *must* be motivated, right?

Heh! Saw an interview with a visibly upset occupier. He said:
"I'm a recent college graduate with a boatload of debt and I can't find a job!"
Interviewer: "What was your college major?"
Occupier: "I don't see how that's relevant."

LOL Obviously, it's not what he leaned that's important What a maroon.

I saw one of those interviews. Typical leftist.

I TOTALLY disagree: It is still a "free market", with supply and demand in a wide open market place. People may burn out in high pressure, high salary financial industry, and decide they may be better off ("feeling-wise") as teacher. That may give us a good teacher, like one I know. If the salary is too low (see your next paragraph) the potentially very good teacher may opt for another job. It is weighing a "calling" against a livelihood.

As I said, it is weighing a "calling" against a livelihood. But it isn't really fair to reduce compensation by imposing new regulations AFTER the teacher has been hired and contracted. And the latter has happened here in NJ.
--
Best regards
Han

Those contracts only last a year, always have in school systems. Everything is (theoretically) up for change every year.

A majority of NJ teacher contracts are for 3 years. So, your statement of "always" is, literally speaking, incorrect. In addition, the example of my local school district is not unique. Their contract expired in 2010, and a new one was tentatively approved late in 2011. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes not. But that is a bit besides the point. Once you embark on a career, it isn't always easy to switch. Example: It is much easier to change careers if you get eased out and get left with a handshake of an extra 6 month salary after having earned over 200K/yr. When you're down to less than 50K/yr, and there is no handshake, it's not so easy.
--
Best regards
Han

about salaries, etc, that is negotiated with the union may or may not last 3 years depending on awhole bunch of things. That is why over the last few years the school systems always announce layoffs really early and then hire them back depending on who quits or retires.
Sometimes it

But other than CongressCritter and possibly some legislatures, what other career doesn't entail the same concerns?

When you get tenure (which has both plusses and minuses) it would be difficult to let go of a contract.
Firing and hiring back was what the Paterson NJ district did wholesale at the end of the 2009-10 year. My son-in-law came away pretty good, but by far not every teacher did.
--
Best regards
Han
Attila.Iskander wrote:

Yep. I live in the largest school district in the country's largest (almost) state. Less than half of the payroll is spent on teachers. Oh, you've got to have people to drive the school busses, mop the halls, and, yes, print the paychecks, but only HALF of a school district's payroll for teachers?
It's insane.
But that's not all the government's fault. School systems are truly places were the insane are in charge of the asylum.

At one time Vermont had all school data online. They got smart and pulled it after a few found out what was really happening. They had a student to teacher ratio of 13:1, which is low but it didn't stop there. There was one non-teaching teacher for every other one teaching. Also, an "aide" for every other teacher and an administrator for every three (IIRC). Why are there "teachers" who's job isn't to teach? Why a professional employee for every six, or fewer, students? What can they show for it (not damned much)?

That *is* government.
Some people view taxes as how to fund the government. Others view taxes as a way to social justice, what ever that means at the moment.
The thing is, what legal, constitutional, moral, etc. justification do you have for taxing some people at a higher rate just because they have deep pockets? Why should one person pay $0.50 of every dollar they earn while someone else only pays $0.15 of every dollar they earn? No rational person can be in favor of anything but a single flat tax on all income from all sources as being fair to everyone.
<...snipped...>

The answers to those 2 questions are so numerous and readily available I wouldn't even attempt to ist them here. And the final sentence would be just as valid if the words "anything but" were deleted.

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

So, just give us a couple instances...
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 23:40:17 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

"So brilliant, yet so corrupt, which, like a rotten mackerel by moonlight, shines and stinks." (John Randolph about Henry Clay)
When you get close enough to that "flat tax," you'll smell something. He's already cut out exemptions for "poverty level" income. That "poverty level" would quickly become a moving target. Taxation ultimately gets decided by voters. Got nothing to do with simple "pie in the sky" theories. It's as complex as society itself. Nothing wrong with tax code simplification if you can get by the special interests. Who gets voted into office sets tax policy. The rest lobby them for their self-interests, or pound sand. Flat-taxers should vote for Ron Paul or Newt Gingrich, and Republican congressmen who will support their agenda. Simple as that. If you win, you get a flat tax. If you lose, you pound sand. That's all assuming the politicians aren't lying to you. Haha.
--Vic
Doug wrote:

BINGO!!!!!!! Just like most every other business does with employees who do not perform. (By that I mean those trying to make a profit, and not those sponsored or supported by a government.)
Of course then we have to define what "good

I agree wholeheartedly.
--
Best regards
Han
Attila.Iskander wrote:

Then: a) The teacher should obtain the necessary skills to motivate the un-motivated, or b) The student should be cycled into the "incorrigible" career path.
I agree you can't make a railroad locomotive out of wood, no matter the skill of the craftsman. But you can change the builder's raw materials.

That is indeed what is happening in a nearby school district. Teachers were fired en masse, and many were re-hired at different "schools". "Schools" were closed and new "schools" and "academies" were opened (same old buildings), and students and teachers were re-apportioned to warehouses and teaching facilities (my words). I think they generated ways for kids to move from warehouse to school, and vice versa. Hopefully the pregnancy rates will "improve" ...
--
Best regards
Han