Best kitchen counter?

Page 3 of 3

Higgs Boson wrote:

Anybody mention concrete?
Here're some examples: http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/comparison.html
Add pictures here
✖

Think first in terms of what counter tops are in similar homes to yours. If most of the homes in your area use Corain or Ceramic tile, than I'd give that some strong consideration. It's better to overshoot, though, than to undershoot and use something like laminate in a neighborhood that typically has granite.
I consider solid granite to be the top counter top from a marketing and also use standpoint. Yes, if you park a lemon slice on it for days, you can get a dull spot. However, a long term sealer helps, as does the coloration and particle color of the granite. Yes, if you drop your mortar or pestle on it from 10' in the air, you can break it. Yes, it's almost impossible to get a sink of the same material. However, granite is still the standard for upscale homes and its popularity is justified by its durability and utility. Having now had a kitchen with granite tops for the past 10 years, I can honestly say I don't want any other materials.
Second to solid granite is the solid-composite, such as Silestone. I place it in the same category as Corian-type counter tops. It's good, it's durable and its less expensive. Still, I place those materials in the category as "almost as good." If you consider the marginal cost difference between those materials and granite, I cannot understand NOT going with granite.
The laminates and grouted-type materials are on further down the desirability list. While they're practical, it's like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. If price is the big issue, I think a grouted material would still be better than a laminate, which I place at the bottom of the utility and desirability category.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

I put in maple counter tops (Grainger work bench tops) just to humor my wife, thinking they would be firewood in a year and we could get "real" counter tops. 10 years later they are still doing great. I wiped the oil off with mineral spirits, shot about 10 -15 coats of thinned poly urethane on them before I installed them and that was about it. We are tough on them too. Nothing hurts them and if you drop a glass it won't shatter like you have with granite.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 14, 8:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

.