Best kitchen counter?

I have to replace the deteriorated tiles around my sink, so might as well redo the whole counter. A while back I researched extensively, but maybe technology has moved on?

I want sturdiness and easy care, not the delicate kind that dings or cracks if something is dropped on it. And definitely STAIN-proof! However, I probably can't go for the very high-end stuff unless its value is really worth the price. Aesthetics, yes, but primarily utilitarian.

When researching earlier, my head used to spin with all the conflicting claims. Surely there is an outside evaluation that truly sets forth the plusses & minuses?

I figured the gurus here have done their share of installing kitchen counters, whether professionally or DIY, and have gotten feedback from their respective SWMBOs.

Any guidance appreciated.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Too many variables to know what is best for you. It has to "fit" the kitchen décor and style. If it is an older house and kitchen, the latest fancy stone may be out of place.

Granite and other expensive stones are nice, but the good ol plastic laminate still does a great job in most kitchens. Don't rule it out until you see what is available and how well it suites the overall plan.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am surprised you don't know this. You know everything else in this quadrant of the galaxy.

The answer is "granite."

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Granite is the most durable but if anyone manages to drop a sledge hammer on it you=92ll have to replace to whole kitchen to match, with ceramic tile you=92ll only have to replace that piece as long as you have spares, with plastics what I have seen happen is the pan catches fire so the tenant grabs it by the handle lifting it from the top of the stove and placing it on the counter while screaming, leaving a big scorch mark on it.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I have a granite table I made years ago, and it's convinced me. Cleans up easily and is indestructible.

My new kitchen, will have granite tile. A fraction of the price of one piece. The old was stainless steel, before that formica. Both disappointed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Not according to a guy I know in the business. Granite cannot be repaired and if not sealed properly will stain and not recover.

Reply to
Frank

Not to mention it harbors bacteria and is really just a 'fad' material. Like the stainless appliances. What a pain stainless is, i can't imagine ANY good reason to have stainless appliances except it's 'what everbody likes right now' .

Reply to
Steve Barker

.

Granite is very nice, but you'll be sorely disappointed with grout.

Reply to
keith

We've had Formica and tile with epoxy grout previous to granite. Tile does wear. We had spots where the finish had dulled. Even the epoxy grout does wears and does stain. We now have granite. We have a "pattern" that doesn't show anything. Actually, you have to either wipe your hand across it or look at the reflecting light to see if there is anything on it that needs cleaning up.

am a definite granite believer.

Reply to
Art Todesco

How long did the tile last? Were you satisfied with its appearance and performance? New tile might be the best choice for you. After all, it's been used for centuries.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Granite is the most durable but if anyone manages to drop a sledge hammer on it you?ll have to replace to whole kitchen to match, with ceramic tile you?ll only have to replace that piece as long as you have spares, with plastics what I have seen happen is the pan catches fire so the tenant grabs it by the handle lifting it from the top of the stove and placing it on the counter while screaming, leaving a big scorch mark on it.

Reply: we do not allow sledge hammers in our kitchen. For any reason. I had one ex-wife that would qualify for a sledge hammer accident, but she's safely in another. What do you use your sledge hammer for in your kitchen?

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

=A0What do you use your sledge hammer for in your kitchen?

For hanging curtains. I misplaced my ball peen.

Reply to
Thomas

depends upon the tile and usage. i've had tiles next to the stove only last a handful of years if you're in the habit of sliding pots around on them.

my current house has granite tiles. no stains or marks even with items that normally would: red wine, grease, acids, etc.

you should test a piece of your sample granite with various items to determine if it needs to be sealed. a lot don't require this.

Reply to
chaniarts

I was afraid of that. No worse than ceramic tile though?

Got a deal on 18" square granite (

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Reply to
chaniarts

Once you consider that quartz countertops (like Silestone) will last 4 to 10 times as long as formica, you realize that it is not more expensive.

Silestone is stain proof, requires no sealing, is stronger and more crack resistant than granite, and calcium deposits around faucets can be scraped off with a razor blade once every few years to keep it looking brand new.

It's the closest to maintenance-free as you're going to get.

Reply to
mike

Home Depot laminated countertops do the job. I install a new one with matching backsplash material. Looks great, cleans up nice.

Reply to
LSMFT

Not according to a guy I know in the business. Granite cannot be repaired and if not sealed properly will stain and not recover.

==

I wouldn't use a granite kitchen counter for various reasons. We have granite in two bathrooms and it discolors easily. We have a granite table that stains easily too. Very pretty though.

Jim

Jim

Reply to
JimT

That's probably what I'll use. Some kind of laminate. For the OP, do you ask yourself or your wife these kind of question?

"Hey honey, I'm going over to Home Depot. Think I'll stop by that jewelry store next door. You want a big diamond ring or will jade do?"

"Hey honey, I'm going over to Home Depot. Think I'll stop at a couple car dealerships to order a replacement car for your 4 mile commute. Should I stop at the Mercedes dealer or the Chevrolet dealer?"

You happen upon a gal wearing a jade ring. Ask her if she's happy with it. Now, let's say you happen upon a gal wearing a 3 karat diamond ring. Ask her if she's happy with it.

Do the same when you get the chance to ask a Mercedes driver and Chevy driver.

Nine out of ten times you'll get the same "Yes" answer. The sellers of the rings and cars will both say their customers are happy with the choice they made. Ask a guy who sells both Mercedes and Chevy what you should buy from him.

My Chevy is 13 years old. Runs good but rust is starting to show. Our formica countertops are 50 years old. Look brand new. My wife usually wipes up spills pretty quick and doesn't often put hot pans on the countertop. She has dish rags and paper towels and trivets.

Much comes down to what "status" you want and how much you'll spend for it. Granite looks good, and so do 3 karat diamonds and Mercedes.

Here's a link to some CR testing. I don't subscribe anymore but this is the kind of thing CR excels at.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I strongly disagree with these results. My folks had their laminate ruined by a little heat, and laminates are famous for letting go in wet areas. When you consider laminates low longevity, laminates end up costing more in the long run.

But at least they're more scratch resistant than corian.

Reply to
mike