best glue for plexiglass

The back of a plexiglass item got smashed into several pieces. No one will see it but for strength I'd like to glue the pieces back together. Any recommendation for the best glue to us one plexiglass? It is dark grey plexiglass.

Reply to
Art

This is one of the materials on which Krazy Glue actually works the way it's supposed to.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you are certain it IS Plexiglass (Trade name for one brand of acrylic plastic.) then you will be best off to "solvent weld" it with methylene chloride or a commercial solvent glue made for acrylics. That will give you the strongest possible joint.

To solvent weld, you hold the broken edges together and wick some solvent into the join with a syringe.

Just Google:

+"solvent weld" +plexiglass

and you'll find what you need.

If the piece ISN'T acrylic, then disregard the above and good luck to you and the Red Sox. :)

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

IIRC, plexiglas is best worked wth a solent thing, not a glue. A chain around her, TAP Plastics, sells a 2 ozbottle of the solvent, alog with a really cool applicatr op for the bottle. The applicator is sort of like a hpodermic needle -- real thin and hollow inside, the solvent flows through it.

I have no idea what the solvent is....try a walk through yur local Yellow pages and look under plastics / plastic suppliers, and make a call.

Again, IIRC, MEK will also dthe trick, but I don't like messing with MEK and don't recommend it. The stuff from TAP Plastics that I use does not smell like MEK.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Acetone

Reply to
gfretwell

Art,

The replies you've gotten so far are just temp solutions to plexiglass cracks. If neatness is no problem then I would suggest you repair it the way we do on aircraft when the plexiglass windscreens get cracked and we have to make temp repairs until a new one arrives for installation. This is how we do that.

Cut a larger piece that will cover all the cracked areas. Use crazy glue just to hold the pieces back in their original place. Place the larger piece you cut over the cracked area and using a drill, drill holes about two inches apart around the broken area and a few on any broken pieces to hold them in place. You will need some screws/nuts just long enough to go through the two layers of plexiglass and just through the hole you drilled. Next put a bead of clear silicone around the area that the new plexiglass piece will cover. This is to keep water out if required. Next put the new plexiglass piece back over the repair area and put all the screws/nuts in place with a washer on the nut side. Don't over tighten or you might crack the plexiglass. This type of repair has worked on aircraft windscreens (windshield) in excess of 500 mph in rain. This is only a temp repair on aircraft but should be permanent in your case.

Joey

MEK

Reply to
Joseph Myers