best gloves to protect against table saw?

What gloves give the best protection (against losing a finger) when working with a table saw?

Reply to
peter

Don't even think about it. Gloves will cause more danger than they can protect you from. Any decent table saw would shread a glove AND rip your finger off. Use the guards the saw came with and use a good purpose built push stick. If you are working with small pieces make/buy a sled with a work clamp so you can stay a safe distance from the blade. This can be as simple as a piece of plywood with a track on the bottom that rides in the groove on the table and some guides you temporarily screw to the plywood. Then you are pushing the sled that is holding the workpiece. That is really the way to go when you are making several pieces alike. It saves time, increases precision and saves fingers

Reply to
Greg

Is this a joke?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you are worried dont use the saw , gloves wont help

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Raymond Koonce

"peter" wrote

Use and type glove you want. Just have someone else's hand in it and you will be safe......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

According to peter :

Gloves will _increase_ the hazard (of snagging and being dragged into the blade). Even chain mail gloves won't help much (if at all).

Invest in push sticks/blocks, and make sure that the saw's safety equipment (splitter, guards, etc) is properly installed and used.

If you have the money and are that paranoid, replace the saw with a "Saw-stop" saw. These have "meat detection" and extremely fast blade braking.

See:

under "How it works".

[The Sawstop technology has been covered in the woodworking press going back a couple years, and is for real.]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

None. Standard safety recommendations are to avoid wearing gloves around moving machinery.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

the kind that don't let you turn on the power to the blade? ;)

I think what people are getting at is that if your finger gets nicked in the saw, it's likely to just get cut. if a glove gets nicked, it is likely to get pulled into the blade, bringing your hand along for the ride.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

I think everybody answered your question but let me add something. No gloves, watches, rings, long sleeves or ANYTHING that may get snagged on the blade. I was a cabinet maker for over 10 years and had seen a lot of fingers fly due to all that stuff.

Reply to
Gary

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

Not to minimize the danger of tangling directly with the blade but I have sustained more injuries from kickback on a table saw than any that shed any blood. I have seen many from trying to rip too large a stock, dull blades and fence mis-alignment with the blade. An upside is that after breaking my finger many years in a TS accident I now have a legitimate excuse for not being able to get my wedding ring on (not that I object to my marriage but rather have a dislike of wearing rings).

Reply to
t gilb

its time for LETTERMAN!!!! he swoops down out of the sky and removes the G from GLOVE leaving only the word LOVE!!!

you dont need a glove, you just need to respect the saw. one good way to do this is to actually read some books on how to safely use a table saw.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You keep hands, sleeves, jewelry and hair away from machines.

Reply to
NorMinn

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:21:38 GMT, NorMinn scribbled this interesting note:

Or you could look into one of these devices:

John Willis

Reply to
Phisherman

None! Anything on your hand or finger is a danger. Don't wear gloves and don't wear rings. If you are really careful you won't wear watches. Anything that you put on your hand has a danger of pulling your hand into the saw if it touches the saw.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Not only 'NO GLOVES' but all rings, bracelets, neck chains and the like should be removed or not worn at all when working on any machinery, including you car battery, car engine, workshop saws .............. in fact anything. Also long hair should be tied back and/or covered. There have been too many accidents where the above items have caused injury, disfigurement and/or deaths.

1) Ring worn by an electrician caught in an electrical box; electrician fell from a ladder and severed whole ring finger also pulling out tendons to shoulder. I saw the photograph. Ugh! 2) Wrist bracelets/bangles caught in car door latch and women's hand was badly damaged when heavy door swung onto it. She was unable to use other had to prevent door from swinging! 3) Substantial gold neck chain caught in vertical drilling machine; chain did not break and mans face was drawn into the rotating drill. 4) Long hair caught in wire fence and person hung until fellow workers could assisted. Some hair was pulled out from the roots causing a permanent bald area of scalp. 5) Working on a battery connection under hood of car a signet/club type finger ring short-circuited between the live 12 volts and frame of car. Ring melted and caused damage to finger which had to be partially amputated. 6) Worker lifting something had the heavy object fall on fingers one of which had a ring on it. The crushed ring severed the finger; other fingers although badly bruised finally recovered. So DON"T.
Reply to
Terry

The book "Table Saw Magic" by Jim Tolpin includes plans for making a paddle that you bump with your knee to shut the saw off. I think there is a similar device described in "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler. One or both should be available through your local library.

Reply to
Doug Miller

replying to peter, Sawpro24 wrote: Chain mail gloves.

Reply to
Sawpro24