Best glass for soundproofing?

I have a few interior windows of the old, double-hung type. They transmit a lot of sound from the outside into a bedroom and living room. In short, the dog next door and slamming car doors are intrusive.
Instead of installing expensive double-glazed storm windows, I thought I'd try to attach some glass over the window from the inside. I never open these windows, so no problem there. Perhaps just a piece of glass I could lay over the window and affix with mirror-type fittings.
I'd appreciate any information about the best glass for reducing sound, or any other material that might even do a better job. Websites articles or any recommendations welcome.
(to the list, please)
RG

The best glass for reducing sound is laminated glass, which is two sheets of glass with a thin sheet of another material in-between. This keeps out sound even better than insulated glass. Often, laminated glass can be fitted into existing windows but it depends.
Dimitri

I did just that ,put a layer of wood between the panes, quiet as a mouse although cant see diddly squat.....mjh

I've found that glass without any holes in it is usually the best glass to use.

i would reconsider this idea, it's not very practical and could be potentially dangerous.
After calling around a bit, I went with 1/4" thick laminated glass for this use. Paid about $9.00 sq. ft., cut to size (SF Bay Area)
Richard Gecko wrote:

Several ways to do this,
An alternative to replacing the existing window with a double or triple pane glass acoustical window, (a noise reduction of about 30%-70%), or to add another interior window, (90%) is to make a removable soundproofing "plug" to fill the frame and to block the sound coming through the window. (Also 90%) While this will also block light, it won't matter if the window is a bedroom and noise is keeping you from using your room or sleeping. If light is wanted for day use, make the plug removable. It can then be removed to allow light to enter the room.
Try http://soundproofwindows.com /
wrote:

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor Super Soundproofing Co. www.soundproofing.org Ph: (760) 752-3030 FAX: (760) 752-3040 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@soundproofing.org TOLL FREE: (888) 942-7723
Visit us at: www.soundproofing.org

Something to think about is it should be very easily removed. The window may be your escape route in case of a fire.