Best gas leaf blower

Page 1 of 2
My 18 year old Sears leaf blower gave up its ghost. I tried to resuscitate it by rebuilding the carb, but no joy.
I am looking for an inexpensive gas leaf blower for light duty around my home.
I was looking at the reviews of some blowers at Walmart, the HD and Amazon, but they all had rather poor reviews, except the $ 500 Echos. I don't want to spend more than @ 100.
Any recommendations based on experience? Is it worth looking at any of the many re-furbished blowers on E-bay?
Thanks
Walter
--
www.rationality.net

Whatsa gas leaf?
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

I thought leaves were solar powered...
On 9/4/12 7:20 PM, walter wrote:

Consumer Reports has a Weed Eater VS2000BV as a Best Buy. 100 bucks on the nose. Poulan Pro BVM200VS is $110. Craftsman 79470 is $125. All 3 score 70 points on the CR scale. Top rated is the Echo PB-250. It scores 80 points and the price listed is $170.

I really like my 5hp craftsman shop vac which also acts as a leaf blower......
the shop vac just plugs in conveniently around my yard

I use my 5hp craftsman shop vac as a vac to get the leafs out from under my bushes and from around the flowers in my wife's gardens. I removed the Y fitting inside the inlet to eliminate the clogging that used to occur at that point.
bob haller wrote:

I miss my Craftsman, it gave up the ghost a couple years ago. Although it was undersized for my yard, it did the job eventually. Was great for blowing out the garage too.
Ended up getting a Stihl backpack, does the job as fast as I can move. But, it only serves the one purpose, unlike the Craftsman shop vac.

I got two stihl blowers. Very good. Don't buy horizontal flywheels. You can't move side to Side. My one is also a sucker. My smaller unit, I drilled out the exhaust for more hp. That one is 7 years old. Don't go for wind speed. You need speed and volume.
Greg
walter wrote:

That's a trick question. There is no such thing as a "best leaf blower". They should all be banned.
I thank the gods that none of my neighbors are retarded enough to have one.

How about you don't bother the leaves? And give nearby folks a break on noise & air pollution?
Two stroke engines dump about 30% of their fuel unburned. Blowers stir up lots of particulates, the good news, operator suffers the worst.
Or heaven forbid...use a rake?
On 9/5/2012 2:00 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

Tend to agree that every time you use a 2 cycle small engine you need to put your smelly clothes in the hamper and take a shower.
I prefer my corded unit. I can do things like dust out the car and sweep out the garage without all the noise and smell.

Rake... think blisters and bandaides. BTDT and it's no joy especially with packed down leaves from all winter.

You're hands must be too soft or perhaps you haven't discovered gloves. So it's ok to blow unburned hydrocarbons & dust around?
btw..if oyu rake in the fall, they won't pack down during the winter.

I don't know where you live, but we often get snow before all the leaves are down.
In addition, you can't make the neighbors rake their's and there is often "blow over" that occurs mid-winter that doesn't get cleaned up until spring.
At least that's what happens in my neck of the woods.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:36:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You sound like a person who knows what they are talking about because when I was young, that's exactly what happened. Of course you could rake thru out the fall and winter (if no snow) but depending on how large an area, it might be futile unless you just love to rake. People there didn't rake till Spring. He's got a point about gloves but I was young then so I wasn't too worried about my hands.
Doug used improper AND LAZY usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

I use my lawn mower to mulch and bag the leaves, and dump them into several large garbage cans (compacted by stomping on them) which are then loaded into my pickup truck for transport to the local municipal yard-waste drop-off center.
There are many leaf-borne tree diseases that are spread and amplify through leaf litter that remains over the winter under vulnerable trees. Leaf removal is therefore a desirable if not necessary thing to do to promote tree health.
Leaf cover over turf grass can promote fungus and various turf diseases and therefore should be removed for that reason as well. Naturally this deleterious effect on grass is proportional to the size of the tree (larger tree = more leaves) as well as tree density, confined or open yard configuration, etc.

What you say seems to make sense but honestly, we never had any fungi on the lawn after raking up leaves in Spring. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing fungus on that lawn. I can't say the same for my current lawn which does seem to have a fungus problem every August. That said, the 2 lawns are about 2500 miles apart, different types of grass and weather.

I use my still on snow, too.
Greg

Rake in the fall where I lived is a joke. No one did it.
If you are really that worried about pollution, why not check out the oil refineries. They pollute a lot more than a measly leaf blower. I know because I've been inside many.
ps-- FWIW, landscapers use leaf blowers everyday where I live now.