Best FOGLESS interior paint sprayer?

I need something like an inkjet printer, but for paint. Just throws out the same size droplets, no drops too small.

What's the least fog producing indoor sprayer around?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Yes, a 'victim' of advertising, I also have one. Wasn't so bad with lacquer, but the fog was impressive, suitable for killing cockroaches, ...and me.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I have a higher priced Graco airless sprayer. Take care of it and it will last for many years and it does a fantastic job. Here is a link the sprayers on Amazon. I would stay away from the cheaper, retail grade units.

Lab Lover

Thank you for your recommendation. Graco is carried both at HomeDepot and Lowes. Don't know about your specific model, though.

Graco did seem a bit pricey. But in view of potential problems, is cheap.

Reply to
RobertMacy

High-volume, low pressure (HVLP) sprayers.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

makes sense, but ...

Make? Model?

Reply to
RobertMacy

We have this one and we are very pleased with it. Secret is to clean it thoroughly after each use or you will be buying new hoses (don't loan it to idiot friends.)

Lab Lover

You are welcome. Might I suggest you check out Craigslist, you might find a bargain on a used unit. They are fairly easy to test before you buy them, see:

Lab Lover

...snip.... You are welcome. Might I suggest you check out Craigslist, you might find a bargain on a used unit. They are fairly easy to test before you buy them, see:

didn't think about craigslist, good resource

Irritatingly, I own a VERY expensive airless sprayer ...that's in storage, so no access.

One of those 2,000+ psi with legs to sit over the 5 gal bucket. I used it on a two story house once, hated the 'orange peel' finish, but hated to thin the paint anymore. and more than 50 ft away, don't notice that much.

A painter told me 'no matter what DON'T stick your finger over that orifice!' seems he had a friend who tried freeing a clog with his finger tip, and as the clog came undone the high psi shoved a lot of paint into his flesh "intra-epidermously" said he had like a 'bag' of paint inside his flesh like a big balloon. wouldn't have been so bad but latex is a real organic contaminant and he ended up losing finger(s) later. now that's a BIG ouch! glad he shared, wouldn't have thought so much damage is possible. In retrospect, since it was a 'friend' wonder if the story is an urban myth, or real.

What I'm trying to paint are walls, especially a surface along a hallway, so right at eye level next to your face, and worse catches the light so has to be uniform. Brushing with a 'feather' brush hasn't worked very well. I can see 'patterns' along the wall. and rolling is out of the question since brushing shows potential problem. I found that if you can't brush it on well, it won't roll on well either! just end up with bigger, more insidious problems from the roller and rolling patterns.

So thought, may be able to spray with less problem, but I still fight that wet paint over tacky paint pattern! I think can be attributed to a 'textural' difference, being slightly rougher. The best result I ever had was spray painting 80 french door panels using an adjustable airbrush and lacquer based paint. Now that went well. brushing was a bit out of the question, besides being extremely tedious there was 'puddling' and overlap onto the glass, and etc etc.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I am confused:

  1. What is the surface you are attempting to paint? Is it sheetrock?

  1. Is there some kind of a texture to the material?

  2. Is there a printed pattern that does not have a texture?
Reply to
Lab Lover

I find a roller leaves less marks than a brush. There is also flow control products that you can add to paint to make it flow better. Visit your local paint store.

I have the mid range (7) graco myself and I like it a lot. I got it off CL for about half the new price. I spent some time cleaning it up and I bought some additional tips but it has served me well.

Lacquer does do well but it's unpopular now due to the high vocs.

Reply to
jamesgang

  1. Interior walls. drywall with and without smooth skim coat.
  2. What material? you mean the paint, not when you start, but if disturbed while trying to dry, ...
  3. see 2.
Reply to
RobertMacy

Interesting, I found that if I have a problem with brush, I end up with a worse problem using a roller, different AND worse.

Uh, if you've read my postings, you would have seen the battle I've had using flow products. I've cut paint to the point it is so watery, it drips off the brush, far too runny. I've used distilled water, Floetrol, and glass cleaner [contains the same chemicals as latex type paint] with always the same result, less than I want. The problem could be low humidity.

Solution? paint thick, wet 'n' dry sand, and then finish with a 'dry' brush. Makes about the flatest I've been able to get here.

Glad to hear about Graco, will look into it. but as I said I have a $$$ airless in storage, so difficult to justify buying another, unless it's small and portable, like for interior 'light' or touch-up jobs.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I guess a lot of this is relative. I am not terribly sensitive to a slight texture with wall paint. I would never expect my walls to have the same kind of flawless finish I would expect on the plane, cars or bicycles.

I found the secret with the sprayer is lots of light, lots of practice and resisting the temptation to apply heavy coats. Obviously meticulous prep and very clean surfaces is paramount.

Reply to
Lab Lover

Buy it used and resell it when you are able to reclaim the one in storage. Odds are you will sell it for more than you pay.

Reply to
Lab Lover

GACK! Never thought of that! Should have...

Back in the late 80's I had a chance to buy a RollsRoyce out of Texas for only $50k. I passed on it, like an idiot. I could have kept that car, ten years later sold it for more than, at least the same, I paid for it, and been driving one of the most prestigious [and comfortable] cars at almost NO cost whatsoever! Only think in terms of a savings account with NO interest. ...like today.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Interesting, I had a friend who would buy used RR's, he said they were really inexpensive to buy but absurdly expensive to fuel and maintain.

Reply to
Lab Lover