Best flying wasp insecticide

Page 1 of 2
Since weed killer is ok, let me jump in with a question about the best flying wasp killer.
I bought 2 cans of Spectracide, an alleged instant wasp insecticide from Walmart. Total crap!! After dowsing large paper wasps, they backstroke in the puddle fer a bit, then dry off and fly away. This, despite claims of "kill on contact" and "guaranteed". Don't waste yer money.
I know from using it a previous year, Black Flag works pretty good. ACE hardware brand also is not bad. Any brands out there that are even better? Bear in mind, I want a straight stream spray so I can hit the bastids from a distance. ;)
nb

You want a "freeze spray", doesn't matter what brand. -----
- gpsman
On 9/28/2010 3:01 PM, notbob wrote:

gasoline drops 'em faster than instantly. Put in a one gallon pump sprayer and KILL away!
--
Steve Barker

You talking about the wasps or me or the entire house!? 8\
nb
I'm in Ontario, and over here, apparently the best wasp deterrent is a fake wasp nest placed near where the wasps would normally nest. Apparently the wasps do not like to nest close to each other. I have some neighbors who have tried it and said it worked like a charm. I'm looking to try it in the spring.
John
On 9/28/2010 6:50 PM, John wrote:

Wasps are very territorial. It seems crazy, but we bought 4 of these, and they WORK! Even had one in the attic during construction and there were no wasps nesting in there.
http://www.contech-inc.com/products/waspinator /
--
Steve Barker
On 9/28/2010 6:50 PM, John wrote:

Are you gonna add a few tiny mean looking wasp decoys? 8-)
TDD

It must be that wasps in Ontario are more polite and respect the territory and privacy of others. The wasps in Washington state don't seem to care about population density or how close their neighbors reside. I recently killed 3 active nests within an 8 foot span on the south side of a house and 5 active nests within a 12 foot span on the east side of the same house.
I don't recall ever trying Spectracide (green label), but every wasp- killer spray that I have tried did the job. I like the foaming stuff with a minimum range of 20 feet. The last time that I checked labels for active ingredients, I found that they are all essentially the same product.
On 9/28/2010 5:23 PM, notbob wrote:

wasps. gasoline won't hurt you or the house. I wouldn't BATHE in it, but a few drops on your hands won't kill ya.
--
Steve Barker

As an ex-fireman, I must finally state that what you suggest, ....apparently, in all seriousness!.... is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Spraying your house with gasoline won't hurt? Are you freakin' insane!?
Seriously, folks, anyone taking this guy's advice is an idiot.
nb
notbob wrote:

Why?
Gasoline is cheap, readily available, and extremely effective.
It does pose some hazard, but an understandable and easily accommodated hazard. I have never heard, moreover, of any unexpected result when using gasoline as an insecticide.

yep it also works great as a vegation killer. i have used gasoline on ground wasps, mark hole with long stick in daylight.
come back after dark with gasoline in bucket, approach quietely no lights dump down hole.
do NOT LIGHT OR BURN!
thats not necessary the wasps are already dead.
Idiots on usenet spraying gasoline on a house? Why would anyone on Usenet be an idiot?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Virtually all commercial wasp sprays are flammable.
HeyBub wrote:

Well, the propellant, anyway, I don't know about the active ingredients themselves...
dpb wrote:

The "active ingredients" are, what, three percent? In fact, I'll bet it's the petroleum carrier that does most of the damage.

Danged if it didn't smell a bit like kerosene.
nb
On 9/30/2010 9:16 PM, notbob wrote:

imagine that! kinda like wd40, since that's what it basically is. probably work as wasp spray if you could get it to jet stream.
--
Steve Barker

Maybe if I use the tube. Probably work as well as the crap I bought.
nb