Best finish for exterior stairs

The stairs are similar to those in the left photo here:
http://americansteelonline.com/stair-steel.htm
The four stairs connect a kitchen door to ground level. Foot traffic is fairly light, mainly one adult.
Over the decades they have been in place they developed some deep rust pockets. (No part of the stairs or landing has actually rusted through.) I first powerwashed everything and then scraped with a putty knife. Finally, I removed most of the remaining rust with several applications of Naval Jelly.
I'm looking for recommendations for finish primer and topcoat. Rust Oleum makes oil-based primers and finishes for such use. Any better products out there?
Thanks,
Ray

rust oleum is the best, but do make certain everything is structurally safe. repaint regurally to minimise future troubles

You didn't say what color you're painting them. These guys have limited color selection but it's generally regarded as the best for metal, particularly if there's rust on it already. www.por15.com I have found Rustoleum to work ok but not nearly as well as this stuff. Disclaimer: I'm using this on my offroad Jeep so it's putting up with mud, rocks, etc... Rustoleum may work just fine for stairs but you probably will have to recoat every couple of years whereas with the POR product, it may be more like 5 years. Cheers, cc