best explanation of hell I've seen

http://themetapicture.com/hell-explained-by-an-engineer-cant-say-i-didnt-expect-that/
On 1/3/2014 9:12 AM, philo wrote:

Thanks, I know people that will appreciate that.
On 01/03/2014 10:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The author has a good grasp of thermodynamics, religion and humor!

And I know some engineers!!
On 1/3/2014 7:12 AM, philo wrote:

It is elegantly simple, and makes perfect sense. It sure answered some of my questions, except one. Does anyone have Theresa's phone #?
Steve
On 01/03/2014 11:50 AM, SteveB wrote:

It will be a cold day in hell before the author will pass that one out!
On Friday, January 3, 2014 12:02:15 PM UTC-6, philo  wrote:

nt-expect-that/

Then, we will have to contact him!

The last 4 digits are 7734

*Very* old. They gave that explanation of hell when I took Thermodynamics in college. I know they did when my brothers were in college, too.
On 01/03/2014 06:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Now that you mention it, that has probably been going around for over 40 years...but I had not heard it in such a long time I had forgotten.
BTW: I managed to get through Thermodynamics but all those fractional exponents were weird. At least I knew the answers were supposed to come out even.

Since I graduated 40 years ago and I took Chemistry as a Freshman...

That was one advantage of using a slipstick. The problems were (usually) set up to come out even. If you got some weird-ass answer, you knew it was wrong. One of my profs was all for allowing calculators (the EE department never restricted them - IIRC, it was TAM who was being dumb) because he could then give "real" problems on exams. Phooey! ;-)
On 01/03/2014 10:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

My favorite problem was to calculate how long it would take to make a Baked Alaska. We were just told to assume that ice cream was equivalent to water. The oven temp was 450 F
When I came up with an answer that was something like five minutes I figured I was right.
One clown in my class came up with 4 hours.
When he failed the exam I heard a comment that he maybe was trying to bake the entire state of Alaska.

Well, it's the first time I heard it, and I thought it was funny as hell. College always bored me, those drunken frat rats, with their monthly checks from Mommy. Those who can do. Those who can't teach. Those who are making up their minds just continue to go to college.
Steve
On 01/03/2014 11:04 PM, SteveB wrote:

I was not a terribly serious student for the first two years and I ended up getting drafted in 1969.
When I got out two years later I decided it was time to buckle-down.
I resumed my education at a different school and stayed there until I used up every last cent of the GI bill. I had completed all of the requirements for an EE but when it was time to get my degree I was told that not all of the courses I had taken at the first college would transfer.
By that time I was out of money and ready to get married, have a kid and buy a house...and I needed a job. All I could get was a Psychology degree so I took it but hardly wanted to end up a psych ward orderly.
I got a job as an electronics tech but through additional courses taken at night school and mostly on the job training, over the years I worked my way up to Senior Service Engineer.
It turned out that the psychology came in handy because I had to deal with people who were panicked and what they thought was an emergency was not really always quite as serious as they thought.
OTOH: I had to explain to my own managers that if a customer /thought/ they had an emergency, we had better treat it as one.
In the 38 years I was on the job the biggest emergency I can think of was at a children's hospital. One of their main back up UPS systems went down and half our company scrambled out there to get it running again ASAP. I had visions of children on life support systems that could fail.
The supervisor for the hospital explained that they had all the medical equipment backed up with generators and there was no medical emergency.
The emergency they were facing was even bigger.
The UPS system that went down was for the computer they used to send out the bills!!!!!