Best electric fan for home?

I just started shopping for a good, powerful, electric fan, as electricity costs in the northeastern part of the US are wild. With the heatwaves we've had over the last few years (thank you global warming), I'm tired of running the AC constantly.
Anyway, I've checked out the Lakewood HV18C (approx. $50) and the Lasko 4924 (approx $70). I don't think an oscillating fan is necessary as that usually means papers go flying. I've also noticed that it's hard to find a reasonably priced tall standing fan. In addition, many are made of cheap plastic and not the metal I was accustomed to 20+ years ago.
The last fan I purchased was several years ago - a Bionaire which is completely plastic, and can't even be opened for cleaning! The insides are full of grime and soot. So much for the clean air company.
Any recommendations?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

My dad has a basic box fan. Nothing special. You can find them in many stores like Target and Wal-Mart. It probably cost him around $20 and it does a great job at keeping the air moving.

About 800 cfm with 100 watts, vs 2470 cfm with 90 watts for Lasko's $50 5155A window box fan.
Nick
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Ace Hardware is the only place I've seen a real box fan of late - all metal construction with metal blades. The blades are held in place with a set screw so they can be easily removed for a full cleaning. It also seemed to have the appropriate holes in the motor housing in order to keep it oiled. I think it was a Lasko, but the price point was around $50.00 so you may want to check around for a better prices.
The Lakewood cheapo fans I've bought were nothing but junk. I don't know if I would consider a "premium" fan from Lakewood.
Rick
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 21:22:13 -0500, cleanfan00112 wrote:

Patton whole house circulator if you can find one.

Get a Vornado. I've had one of these bad boys for sixteen years. Variable speed. Really moves the air. Easy cleaning. quiet. they've made a quality fan for decades. Here's a link:
http://www.vornado.com/products/circulators/gallery/700.htm
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote: ...

Compressed air cleans them out very nicely.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Something like this? Not what your thinking but the whole house fan moves much more air and may even defer you turning the AC on.
Or a reversible window fan.

We bought a Lasko tower fan a few years ago. It has a remote and a timer, which is great. It doesn't take up a lot of space, which is why we wanted a tower type. It has 3 settings, and oscillates if we want it to. The first one died after one season, and Lasko sent us a new one for free after I emailed them. This one works fine. Our family room gets hot (not vented well), so we set the fan up in the doorway to bring cooler air from the dining room back here. It's not overly loud either which we like.
Melissa
Melissa wrote:

I like my tower fan too. The silence is the part I value most. Very tall, narrow flow width keeps one spot quite cool.
--
Phil