Best Drywall Repair Stuff?

What's the best stuff for repairing old settling cracks (particularly long ones) in drywall? Something that won't dry out/fall out/crack itself too soon. TIA.

Paper joint tape (embedded in joint compound of course)
jeffc wrote:

riddle me this, then:
Wall has a spray-on texture.
(I hate that sprayon texture crap. Pain to paint, pain to fix/patch).

Sorry, don't get your riddle. If the wall has spray on texture, then patch first, spray on texture second. You'd still use paper tape to cover the crack first. It might take some fiddling to get the texture to look the same, but then again, one of the advantages of texture is that sloppy jobs sometimes still look OK. It's kind of a random pattern, unlike a perfectly flat, straight wall finish, which must not have any flaws at all.
jeffc wrote:

Okay, drywall. Covered with 'texture'. (see "HAS a sprayon texture" - as already on). Crack in the corner (settling, whatever). Texture makes it a little tough to afix paper tape.
(for the record, I *hate* the texture, but I'm not about to re-drywall 7 rooms of a 3000 square foot house. Flat (proper) wallboard is simple to cut into (to run cables) and fix. Done it a thousand times. But repairing the textured stuff has, so far, just stood out like the sore thumb.)
Chuck Yerkes wrote:

So you scrape some of it off from the area surrounding your hole for the patch, enough to allow you to get some tape on there! Doesn't need to be enough for half the width of the tape, a third or quarter will do the trick, just so you can get a flat footing for part of the tape.
When it comes to recreating the texture, be creative, be flexible, be ready to try different ways until you find a technique to get it right. Try a sponge, try a rolled up sock, try a clean paint brush, try a stiff paint brush, etc, etc, etc. SOMETHING dabbed into that thick splotch of mud will create the same "look" as the original texture job, all you have to do is discover what it is.
You've got several choices. The first is simply fill the crack with caulk. If you want to be fussy don't smear the caulk flat but mold it to continue the pattern. The problem is that the joint may continue to pull apart (on the other hand, it may not). Second, cover the crack with the stick on web type of tape and cover with joint compound. Texture the compound while still wet (don't know what kind of texture you have so can't say what to use). Or, texture after the compound has dried with a wet cloth, tooth brush, etc. Third, same as second but sand first before applying tape. Whether the repair will show or not depends on how much of an artist you are. For me, I would let my wife do the texturing.
Chuck Yerkes wrote:

Yeah, well you said it yourself - a pain to fix.