Best dog and water resistant flooring?

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for opinions on what kind of floor to install in our new place. We have a dog and a fish tank, so I'm looking for options that would stand up to dog claws, possible dog mistakes, and minor (sometimes major) spilling of water from the fish tank.
We've had real hardwood before (finished onsite), but the dog scratched it up real good with his nails. We've had laminate before also, however, any water left standing for any significant amount of time caused the seams to swell. Now I know in a perfect world I shouldn't have to worry about standing water, however, I don't wanna have to deal with replacing parts of the floor in case one of these days there is a puddle of water that sits there for a day or two.
I'm currently looking at vinyl plank flooring. It's like vinyl tiles, however, it's made to look like wood. One company that makes it is www.karndean.com . Anyone have any experience with this kind of flooring? I'm guessing it totally water proof, how about scratches though?
Any other suggestions I should look at?
Thanks, Harry
Harry Muscle wrote:

I have a friend with _several_ Dobermans who used to have a fully carpeted house and did a lot of searching before deciding to go with full ceramic tile.
It has turned out to be an excellent choice, as the very occasional messes that they make are _easy_ to clean up.
Lewis.
******

[...]
There is a downside here if any of your dogs are aged or infirm (or are likely to become such). One of my dogs has degenerative disk disease and sometimes can't keep his footing well on the tile.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353

I have a fully ceramic tiled house and many aquariums. It is imperative that you keep the floor free of water, drool, slobber, and anything else even halfway liquid, or you will fall flat on your ass- hard. And going barefoot in any of the above listed situation will guarantee you a serious fall.
And yes, the old dogs object strenuously and you end up filling the house with room sized rugs, which isn't half bad. I always considered them semi disposable.
If I had it to do over again I would get the roughest slate I could find.
--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm
Toni wrote:

I'm located in Ontario, Canada, which means it's cold for a good part of the year, so tile in the whole house wouldn't be a good thing ... plus I don't think my wife would like the look of a tiled living room and bedrooms. Whatever we pick I think it's gonna have to look like wood.
Thanks, Harry
P.S. Anyone ever heard of waterproof laminate? Seems to exist in the UK, but can't find anything in Canada.

How about some combination of products? Ceramic tile in parts of a room, wood or carpet in the rest.
Take a look at Wilsonart.com They have some of the best around.

If you want it to look like wood, you should use actual wood. Then put down about 9 coats of poly, and add mats of various materials in high-traffic areas.
snipped-for-privacy@stonyx.com wrote:

I've heard this argument before about tile not being good in the winter but I don't buy it.
My logic tells me that the tile would be the same temp. as what you've set your thermostat to, just like the rest of the house.
Lewis.
******

Logic and perception collide.
You are correct, they will be the same temperature. The problem is that you body is about 97 degrees and the floor is much less. Put your foot on carpet and you feel no temperature change. Put your foot on tile and if feels cold. Why?
On the carpet your foot is supported be a series of fiber and lots of air spaces between them. Your senses do not notice the temperature difference as there is little heat transfer. Put your foot on that smooth tile and you have a lot more surface contact with the skin. Since heat always transfer to the colder spots, the greater contact and material that acts like a heatsink, makes your body feel cold.
Rich Greenberg wrote:

'the wobbles'
Rich Greenberg wrote:

"Slick" tile comprises only a small fraction of the ceramic and porcelain tiles now available. We found a huge selection of tiles that have textures rough enough to overcome this problem, even when wet.
That said, footing-wise for dogs and humans, carpeting is the best choice. But it's not water-friendly.
Maybe a combo of tile and area rugs?
FurPaw

As someone who has wiped out on carpet, I can testify that it can be surprisingly slick and dangerous. I cannot think of one positive thing to say about carpet.

My all-time favorite flooring is wood, with area rugs for the dogs (or, as I used to refer to them: wrestlemania mats).
--
Shelly

Good ol' Murphy was diagnosed with osteosarcoma shortly after I'd pulled up the carpets, not timely on my part.
Other than that, the playful bunches of dogs I get here deal well with not-so-good footing - in fact, I'd consider that they're careful while playing a boon.
--
--Matt. Rocky\'s a Dog.

Pergo or any other laminate flooring is practically indestructible when it comes to dogs and if you don't allow water to pool on the floor for long periods it is OK.
Harry Muscle wrote:

replying to gregoc, A sad homeowner wrote:

We've used Pergo, which was a big waste of money. Scratches, dents and staining happened very quickly. As for water, even a small amount if left on a seam will start to raise. That was the old glue down. We've also tried newer snap lock laminate which was a lot easier to install but the seams have raised from small amts of water. Pergo sent a rep to look at the floor for warranty and said since we have dogs and toys on the floor it wasn't covered. Good luck!
in
<stuff snipped>

Really? I could have sworn I've seen TV ads for Pergo with a whole troop of dogs running over it.
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

They were actors and didn't live there.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

(-:
But seriously, I recall something be advertised to stand up to a whole litter of dogs, and not just tiny poodles but big dogs. Someone here must have seen it. I'd be miffed if they pulled a "you had dogs and it voids your warranty" if I had bought the flooring based in part on them showing it standing up to dogs. I guess it doesn't, or at least didn't for the poster I was responding to.
Maybe there was one of the 1 second long burst of micro-text at the bottom of the screen that said "Simulated dogs, artificially colored real wood like substance, do not wash, do not walk on, do not clean, do not vacuum - doing so may void warranty!"
--
Bobby G.

On 7/25/2013 3:19 AM, Robert Green wrote:

flooring subcontractor said that if you have a big dog, you'd be sorry and to use laminate. I have a Shaw product which shows absolute no scratches or dent. We have a 50+ dog, she chases (and slides because it's like glass) back an forth and has heavy duty nails. Still, no problems.
<stuff snipped>

Your comments are making me wonder about the claims of warranty denial. If I cared, I might contact the floormaker to confirm, but I don't. Care, that is. (-:
--
Bobby G.