best battery for riding mower?

I have real problems with the batteries for my riding mower. Typically, these batteries last 2 or 3 years. I've had enough of the cheap junk.
What's the best quality battery I can by for a riding mower??
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 6:31:38 PM UTC-6, Greg Heinz wrote:

Three years max is about right. If you trickle charge every winter when its stored you might get four years. They are made cheaply...don't fret, just keep buying. ===
Roy wrote:

Or pop for an AGM motorcycle battery of the same size and similar specs . They're made to withstand vibration better . I like Deka brand batteries for the Harleys , usually get 5-7 seasons from one - I usually ride 6,000-8,000 miles per year .
--
Snag

From what little I know about batteries is they are all made by only a few manufacturers. Those manufacturers will make a production run of what they determine to be the most effective for their operation. When the batteries a done "cooking" at the end of the assembly line the first xx off the line will get the Die Hard label, the next xx will get the Interstate label and so on. If the specs for two or more batteries of different brands are identical there is a good chance they rolled of the assembly line one after the other.
One thing to keep in mind -- batteries do not like heat. That may be why yours only last a few years. If heat is the culprit in your case you could move farther North.
On 8/22/16 8:31 PM, Greg Heinz wrote:

This is the one we've had for 5 years now in our rider.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p/lawn-garden/sp-30-john-deere-lawn-tractors-l110-2003-standard-options?dsNav=N~34-2147384741-4076095303-4201050865-2147384903
or http://tinyurl.com/h7dbztc
On 8/22/16 7:31 PM, Greg Heinz wrote:

Snag has the right idea. Those batteries will run about $100 though. A mower with a dead battery is a nuisance. A bike with a bad battery can be a royal pain. I had one go bad when I was riding one day. I pulled off on a side road to stretch. The bike wouldn't start. A tow truck got me home. The battery showed over 12 volts but would do nothing when I hit the start button. Nothing. The voltage would just drop to about 0. Jump starting wouldn't do much either. The bike died as soon as the jumpers came off the way I remember. The alternator was and is good.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 00:31:32 +0000 (UTC), Greg Heinz

I got one at Walmart for $30 with a 3 year swap out warranty. It is not worth spending much more than that.
You can always take it back late in year 2 and get a new one that should last another 2-3 years.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-UIP-7-Lawn-and-Garden-Battery/16782695
"Greg Heinz" <

YUASA, made in Reading Pennsylvania USA
On 08/22/2016 07:58 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

Second that. I've had good luck with Yuasa batteries on my bikes.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 00:31:32 +0000 (UTC), Greg Heinz

Get an AGM made by East Penn. Should be good for 5 years.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They also make the Deka that I recommended and Harley branded batteries .
--
Snag

On 08/22/2016 08:16 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

The last time I went to the Harley dealer for a battery for the Sportster, they said they would have to order it. I'm running Yuasa now. Pretty sad when they have a few thousand square feet of boutique bling and no frigging batteries.
On 8/22/2016 7:31 PM, Greg Heinz wrote:

You're about average, I'd say. If you live in a cold clime, stow the battery indoors over the winter, maybe with a battery maintainer in place.
Mine is stored (Northern Illinois) in an unheated garden shed with no electricity. Bought a small battery maintainer with solar cell at Harbor Freight for under $25 on sale and I get about 4 years or better. I doubt I'd get more than a year if I left the battery mounted in place over one winter.
I also use a plug-in maintainer on the standby generator battery that sits outside in its little box all year. That finally died last month after 6 years.
On 08/22/2016 04:31 PM, Greg Heinz wrote:

I got 6 years out of an Exide battery from Menards. I suspect vibration and/or bad charging system will kill any lead-acid battery though.
"Joe Petard" <

Here ya go ... info on yuasa/exide batteries:
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/history.php
On 8/22/2016 7:31 PM, Greg Heinz wrote:

Hmmm...I had a Diehard battery in my lawn tracgtor for nine years. Maybe I just got lucky, but I replaced it last year with another one.
Incidentally, I just disconnect the cables for winter storage. Don't bother doing anything else with it.