Best adhesive/caulk to seal plastic join in spa?

Greetings all!

I have a spa which is surrounded by a concrete surround. Water was seeping out from a seam in the concrete and, after some detective work, it seems the culprit is a bad seam in the skimmer: The plastic skimmer connects with a plastic riser at an angle, and the plastic-to-plastic join must be poor, and when the water rises to a certain level, water seeps into the concrete, and then is slowly released by the concrete. Since we lowered the spa water below that join, the seeping has stopped.

So my question is what product is best for sealing a plastic-to-plastic join, which will usually be under water that is hot, and is chlorinated? Do I want a flexible seal, or a non-flexible seal? There is some product I saw at our pool supply store called "A+B Epoxy Putty."

I believe this product provides a non-flexible seal, so I wasn't sure if this was ideal for my situation, or if something more "rubberized" would be better.

Any advice at all on this matter is greatly appreciated!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

What kind of plastic? Is it white PVC, like the plumbing pipes?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Yes, I should have been more explicit. It is white, and it is presumably PVC. It is the usual white plastic that pool and spa skimmers are made of.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

If it is PVC, PVC cement could be a good bet, but you need to get it into the crack to work well. The same would be true for most adhesives. A urethane caulk would be a good bet if you want something flexible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F