Bernz-O-Matic question

I've got one of the torch heads, a simple one with just a valve. It hasn't been working right for a while, but I just use it to start the fireplace. The flame coming out is yellow. This evening, the fire got back and ignited gas coming out of the holes in the side that I would assume are for air intake, meaning that it is clogged, and pushing the gas out the back. How does one clean the torch head? Screw off the sleeve, but what do I use to clean out the passages? Long piece of thin wire? Torch tip cleaner? Pipe cleaners? Soak in solvent?
Steve

I've never had one clog, but starting with compressed air is probably a thought.
Steve B wrote:

Depends on what is restricting the airflow. I have one that has a star-shaped insert thingy down the burner. If it comes loose, it changes the flow and monkies with the flame (I tamp it back down with a dowel).
Sometimes a spider makes a web in those heads and plugs them up, so try cleaning out the head with a chopstick and using a copper wire to probe the air inlets.
Jon
Steve B wrote:

The one I have has an orifice just under the flame head. To clean it the instructions (it's probably 45 year old) were to remove the head with a wrench. Remove the orifice which will either be in the head or in the end of the pipe coming from the valve. Turn it around 180 degrees and put the head back on. Then, turn on the gas, but don't ignite it. The gas pressure will push out any solids. Then reassemble the correct way. It's always worked for me.
On 12/03/2009 12:01 AM, Steve B wrote:

Buy a new one. It could be clogged or the filter regulator could be missing. If you unscrew the head from the pipe there is a little filter/regulator inset into the pipe. Nobody sells them any more. Of course with 40/11 different kinds yours may be different.

A strand of fine wire pushed thru the head should clear out any clogs there. You can get a fine wire by unwinging a piece of "lamp cord" or us a fine pin.
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:48:35 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I pluck a strand of wire from a stainless steel wire brush. Used it on venturi (?) holes of a small engine carburetor. Works great.
Never had a torch clog, yet.

Those ss pieces are short, but I do have some. Also have a tip cleaner from a OA rig. Have dediced to do the following in about two weeks when I'm finished with Christmas lights:
blow out with 90 psi nozzle put long piece fine copper wire though orfices put tip cleaner wires through there soak in acetone repeat above if that fails, I'll bite the bullet, and buy another, or just go to the pawn shop or yard sale.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

The new ones produce a smaller flame and less heat. I don't like them. Maybe if you go to one of the self lighting ones that are much more expensive, they look larger so maybe they put out more heat.

Thanks to you, and art and bob, and Steve for raising the question.
I have a special propane torch that is clogged in the orifice. I'll try these thigns.