berber carpet

I have cream colored Berber carpet upstairs. There are a few areas that are discolored, kind of rusty. I know you are not supposed to use soap on Berber and so always clean with merely hot water in my Bissell carpet cleaner. Can anyone suggest how to deal with the stained part? thanks Bonnie
Hi,
If it is rust, try a rust remover like "must for rust" at home depot or the one that Wink makes for laundry. I may be wrong, but I thought the whole deal of not using soap on any carpet was that it would remove the stain repellent properties. I had builders grade white berber throughout my whole house when I bought it...not good with a home business, dogs and kids. 4 years later, I just ripped the last of it out, but I got to the point that I would use 409 with bleach to get up stains and it worked very well.

if it's actually rust, Whink will work.... dirt, abrasion and a high PH cleaner will eventually remove repellant properties.
"BonnieJean" wrote in message

Depends if the _stain_ is an actual stain or just discoloring from steam cleaning. If from steam cleaning, try a janitorial supply company. You will be looking for _no brown_ solution. You mix in a spray bottle according to directions, and mist over area. Stains disappear before your eyes.
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 05:51:05 -0500, "BonnieJean"

some spot removers, but there is no reason to not use carpet shampoo on berber.

If it is actually deposits of rust I have to ask where the rust came from? Treating the effect without the cause is unlikely to cure the problem.
However, if it is rust then acetic acid (pickling vinegar) or a hydrofuoric acid solution will have almost immediate results. Simply put a drop or two in the centre of a stained area and you should see a reaction. Wool likes acid conditions so if it's a wool berber you should have no problems but flush with water and dry with a wet and dry vacuum as much as possible.
If this doesn't work then it's likely to be discoloured for another reason. Take a look on www.DrClean.co.uk/Retail_DrClean/SpotTreatments.asp and look at RedRX from Prochem. This is the type of solution that might work - and you may be able to get it in the states (if that's where you are) without the excessive postage costs.
Hope this helps -- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web
Try "Spot Shot" aerosol carpet stain remover--works best for me!!
Sijka