Benjamin Moore exterior paint

I need to redo some exterior wood trim, paint is half-flaked off already. Assuming I scrape and sand it clean, any opinions on the current versions of Benjamin Moore exterior paints?

Some of the new paints apparently claim to (a) cover in one coat, and (b) not need primer over most surfaces. Can anyone verify that?

For use in Los Angeles, CA.

Thanks.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I personally know the owner of a local BM store and primer is always recommended.

One coat coverage is a much over-hyped selling point IMO. The difference between an okay or great job.

If you want to post a brand level name I can ask someone with no horse in the race.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi, Also paininting when it is too hot is not good. Ideal temp is ~15 deg. in Celcius.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As good as any but, of course, like everybody else BM makes various price points so just the brand itself is of little or no value.

I'd only note that if the existing is flaking there was a problem w/ the preparation before. It is highly likely if it has flaked the surface is now oxidized and it will not hold paint simply after a light scuff sanding. It would be wise in all likelihood to use an oxalic acid wood cleaner to remove that oxidation layer (it'll bring it back to an appearance almost like new wood even if it's grayed) before repainting.

I'm not familiar w/ BM's complete line, but I'd be wary of trying to get by w/ no primer in such a situation especially. New work painted within

60-90 days of installation, maybe--old work especially already w/ demonstrated problem...not so much.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks all for recommendations, I guess I'm talking the Aura paint.

Yes, some of the wood shows gray, highly oxidized, I'll check out that wood cleaner.

Just visited the paint store, I also asked about touching up the main stucco, and the guy recommended primer there, too.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I painted my trim using Aura about 6 weeks ago. Primed the scraped and bare spots with tinted primer. I was told by the BM dealer that using Aura I would not have to prime and that one coat would be sufficient. Primed and two coats were necessary and this was going over the same color that the house was painted before. The house does look great but I don't feel that the Aura paint is worth the premium price over the MoorGlo that I used before.

Reply to
Marc

I used BJ primer over 12 years ago and glad I did. The finish coat is still holding on. I wonder if someone who did not use a primer can say the same thing.

Reply to
Phisherman

my local professional house painter only uses BM soft glow..... (or something like 'soft glow' )

about $50 a gallon!

paul

Phisherman wrote:

Reply to
Paul Oman

I have used, and have been happy with, Benjamin Moore paint for interiors. I have used Sherwin-Williams (whatever their top-shelf paint is called) for exterior, and have been happy with it as well. I have not used any BM for exteriors lately, but I think when you get to the top-shelf on any of those brands, it is pretty durable.

More important, though, is to address the issue of why the flaking occurred. If there is a source of moisture, you have to resolve that before you do anything else. If it has been bad for a while, you have to scrape well, then sand past oxidation in order to make the next coat adhere.

Reply to
celticsoc

Don't believe there's a moisture problem as such, some of the trim is in obscure places, may have been twenty years, or forty, or more, since painting!

J.

Reply to
JXStern