Beneful dog food.........

Page 2 of 3
On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 5:02:57 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

THEY CLAIM THERE IS NO PROBLEM AT ALL, AND ITS ALL A SOCIAL MEDIA HYSTERIA.
but when theres this much smoke theres obviously a fire.
in addition they didnt ask for production code numbers on the bags and havent recalled anything'
no doubt they are trying to avoid the costs of recalls, the costs of testing, and the costs of fixing whatever is wrong.
On 3/16/2015 12:26 AM, bob haller wrote:

I don't see the fire. Lots of allegations, but has anyone offered any proof? Any lab test results? Bad ingredients? What would the basis for a recall be?
Sounds a bit like the old mashed potato story. My grandfather ate mashed potatoes and the next day he was dead.
I'm not proclaiming their innocence, but I've not seen hard evidence of a problem. Surely, soone would have had a cause.

I posted a test.
Greg
On 3/17/2015 3:22 AM, gregz wrote:

OK, I must have missed it. What did it say?
Jerry says the fact that the senate is calling for an investigation proves it is not a hoax. Maybe it should be investigated, but it proves nothing. Seems simple enough to prove that toxins are in the food. Maybe what you posted did?
| > I posted a test. | > | OK, I must have missed it. What did it say? | |
I think we all missed it because he just posted a link with no explanation. See his two posts below. It's apparently a test for particular toxins, especially fungus, but without much explanation.
On 03/15/2015 12:54 PM, trader_4 wrote:

It's not my intent to be insulting but apparently you have never worked for a large corporation. If you had, you'd know why this scenario could easily happen.
The Peter Principle is alive and well!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle
On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 4:35:14 AM UTC-4, Mac wrote:

Seventeen years at a Fortune 100 company in engineering, marketing and sales. And we never did what was being alleged here. We did have product returned for failure analysis on rare occasions. We analyzed it to find out why it failed. The analysis wasn't cheap, it included electron microscopy when necessary. A very few of those turned out to be something that was due to something that had gone wrong on our end. If it affected other customers, we informed them and gave them options to return product, etc. It was rare, but we did it right. Not only was it the right thing from a moral perspective, but we weren't going to destroy the whole company image, lose customers, etc.

Sure, it's possible that all the upper management at Purina and Nestle are really, really dumb. But I tend to doubt it. This is now at the level where it's in the media, top management knows about it. It would be really dumb to continue to ship product that you know is killing dogs and thereby destroy the whole brand. They even have a class action law suit now. If the alleged poison is so easy to identify as some here think, there will be powerful, damning evidence in court. What's that going to do to the Purina brand? And if Purina knows what's causing it, the further damage moving forward could be eliminated by some steps that would cost them almost nothing, eg change ingredient, switch suppliers.... Also factor in the potential disaster of the cloud spreading to their other products at Nestle itself. And if the poison is so obvious, easy to find with a test, where exactly is the FDA? Are they part of the cover-up too?
When the situation was at this stage with the GM ignition switch, with the deadly air bags, the companies had admitted there was a problem and were taking steps to correct it. So, it's possible Purina knows what's going on and is going on a path of self-destruction, but I tend to doubt it. My bet would be that whatever it is, if it's there, it's not easy to identify what it is.
On 03/15/2015 11:51 AM, bob haller wrote:

Exactly! This situation is even worse because it only involves animals. My God, look at the abuse that has been occuring in factory farming for years. You think these greedy assholes care about Rover or Fifi?
On 03/15/2015 10:19 AM, notbob wrote:

In the US, you can assume that everything contains GMO ingredients except foods labeled organic. FWIW, if it is not labeled organic, I don't buy it.
Bob F wrote:

Gee trader , it looks like I'm not the only one that thinks glyphosate is bad for humans and other living creatures ... FWIW , and this really is anecdotal , my wife started having extreme digestive problems around the same time they started using GMO corn doused with glyphosate . She cannot eat corn or any corn products any more , soda with corn syrup as a sweetener will have her doubles over in pain and running to the bathroom within minutes of ingestion , and it lasts for several hours . Store bought breads often cause similar problems , particularly white bread , and that also began around the time they started "dessicating" wheat with that stuff . You'll never convince me that glyphosate is not involved with her problems .
--
Snag

Ah, but Dr. Seneff is widely known to confuse correlation with causation. A quick google search on her name is illustrative.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2014/12/31/oh-no-gmos-are-going-to-make-everyone-autistic/ http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2014/12/30/autism_and_glyphosate.php
On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 9:51:23 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Another aspect that argues against coverups, willful ignorance is this. Let's assume for the sake of argument that the Purina execs are a bunch focused on their profits and they don't care about the pets at all. This has been going on for a long time now. If they know what's causing it, or even if they had an idea what might be causing it, eg they know they added an ingredient, or changed suppliers just prior to the problems being reported, what would they do? If they are just out for profit, does it make more sense to continue to ship the stuff as is, or fix the problem? By shipping it, your whole brand is almost certainly going to go down the tubes. On the other hand, you could just eliminate whatever you had any inkling might be causing the problem. If some supply of whatever is contaminated with something, Purina has a lot to lose by not fixing it, ie the Purina brand and all their customers.

Be nice to get a thorough test.
Greg

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2015/02/27/PetFoodTest1.pdf
Greg
On 3/14/2015 11:21 PM, gregz wrote:

Our 13 year old Beagle currently eats Beneful and has her entire life. She's as healthy and active as any dog I've ever seen at her age.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/beneful.asp

How big is a batch? It might be 10,000 pounds or more.
You know the raisin bran cereal t hat says it has two scoops of raisins. It says the same thing for every size box they sell. But it doesn 't say how big the scoops are. (To be fair, last time I had some, it had enough raisins, but still....)

On 3/14/2015 8:04 PM, bob haller wrote:

I've never used Beneful for our little pooch; only grain-free and not made in China. There was an article in the Indianapolis Star about three or four months ago re: about a dog food made by Eli Lilly that a lot of owners were feeling caused seizures. No problems found by analysis, IIRC.
I did a google search after I started typing this and WOW! Trifexis was the name of the Eli Lilly food, but I got hits for Purina Beneful...and a lawsuit claiming that THOUSANDS of dogs became ill from Beneful dry kibble food (nausea, vomiting, etc).
FWIW, the FDA has a website to list recalls of pet foods, here: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/ucm393160.htm
On 3/15/2015 8:15 AM, Norminn wrote:

I've thought, for years, that dogs ought to eat much the same as humans. No buying bags of dog food, just prepare some extra for the dog. Most of the dogs I meet, steal food off the table if given a chance. Might not work as well for some vegetables, but who knows?
I've also heard that food from China (both dog and cat and human) is more likely to contain toxins. One of the reasons I don't buy food from Walmart, if I can help it.
http://consumerist.com/2015/03/12/senators-urge-fda-to-investigate-allegations-that-purinas-beneful-dry-kibble-includes-toxins/
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 8:04:50 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

To not test it seems odd. Since this has been going on, reported in the media for a while now, maybe they've gotten and tested hundreds of samples from situations where the dogs had even worse symptoms and didn't find anything. I guess the questions is who's doing the testing and what are they looking for? Could be something is there that doesn't show up as a typical poison.
Did they offer a refund for the product?

My guess would be that it's something more unusual than one of the obvious poisons or they would have found it by now. There are dogs that are dead, rat poision should show up easily at autopsy. I'd think it's a lot more likely that it's something that's made it's way into the normal component stream than a deliberate nut job.