Beneful dog food.........

I have fed my dogs beneful forever, perhaps 20 years.

anyhow my dogs were acting wierd, throwng up a lot and lethargic.

saw on the network news that beneful is killing dogs. So I changed food, we had a bunch of sample packages.

within 2 days dogs were back to normal.

called my vet and they said they are getting bscattered reports of these same symptoms, that clear up when beneful is discontinued....

I have 3 30 pound sacks, one just opened.

So I called beneful they were very nice. I asked them if they want a sample, sure they said.

but they only do a visual inspection no tests for chemical containments.

this makes no sense at all.....

Some idiot in the distribution system could use a needle to inject rat poision into dog food. and beneful says we test each batch at the time of production.

purina beneful and nestle are all the same company. apparently they never heard of tylenol contamination...

in any case i will see what it will cost to get the opened bag tested, join the class action suit, not for money but to get them to address the issue.

I will miss nestle candy, since i will quit buying any roducts from their organization.

they claim its not a problem its all social media driven hype

Reply to
bob haller

Hi, Wonder if it is made in China now? Our dog is always on "Blue" dog food. So far sso good.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

maybe its made by the same chinese company that makes flooring for lumber liquidators.

benefuls lack of concern bugs me a lot. theres far too many defective products being sold where the manufacturer either ignores the issue or worse actively covers it up.

like Chevy cobalt ignition switches. we had one of those that fit the profile exactlly. short overweight driver with heavy key ring. wifes car quit often for no apparent reason.

now take takata air bags, toyota run away cars, going back awhile bad firestone tires...

feds need a law, forward all safety defects on to consumer product safety agency, who would track troubles, manufactures would be required to self report problems.

attempted cover up? CEOs go off to prison, companies fined 5 years worth of profits.

make cover ups or ignorance so expensive its not worth it.....

after 1 or 2 ceos are lead off in shackles to prison all products would be safer for consumers

Reply to
bob haller

Be nice to get a thorough test.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Greg

Reply to
gregz

How big is a batch? It might be 10,000 pounds or more.

You know the raisin bran cereal t hat says it has two scoops of raisins. It says the same thing for every size box they sell. But it doesn 't say how big the scoops are. (To be fair, last time I had some, it had enough raisins, but still....)

Reply to
micky

I've never used Beneful for our little pooch; only grain-free and not made in China. There was an article in the Indianapolis Star about three or four months ago re: about a dog food made by Eli Lilly that a lot of owners were feeling caused seizures. No problems found by analysis, IIRC.

I did a google search after I started typing this and WOW! Trifexis was the name of the Eli Lilly food, but I got hits for Purina Beneful...and a lawsuit claiming that THOUSANDS of dogs became ill from Beneful dry kibble food (nausea, vomiting, etc).

FWIW, the FDA has a website to list recalls of pet foods, here:

Norminn

Norminn

To not test it seems odd. Since this has been going on, reported in the media for a while now, maybe they've gotten and tested hundreds of samples from situations where the dogs had even worse symptoms and didn't find anything. I guess the questions is who's doing the testing and what are they looking for? Could be something is there that doesn't show up as a typical poison.

Did they offer a refund for the product?

My guess would be that it's something more unusual than one of the obvious poisons or they would have found it by now. There are dogs that are dead, rat poision should show up easily at autopsy. I'd think it's a lot more likely that it's something that's made it's way into the normal component stream than a deliberate nut job.

Reply to
trader_4

I've thought, for years, that dogs ought to eat much the same as humans. No buying bags of dog food, just prepare some extra for the dog. Most of the dogs I meet, steal food off the table if given a chance. Might not work as well for some vegetables, but who knows?

I've also heard that food from China (both dog and cat and human) is more likely to contain toxins. One of the reasons I don't buy food from Walmart, if I can help it.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are quick to condemn the company here, but apparently have unshakable faith in the govt. If the govt is so smart and capable, why haven't they figured out what the problem here is? If it's as simple as just sending some samples off to a lab, the govt has that capability too as well as it's own labs.

Reply to
trader_4

I got curious and did a search. It seems there was a recall in 2007 for aflatoxin, which comes from mold on peanuts and grains, and is said to be one of the most powerful carcinogens ever discovered. But despite lots of complaints, I didn't find anything about any actual evidence currently.

Why not change to a better product? Whatever is in Beneful, it's clearly on the level of junk food. Personally I wouldn't eat anything from Purina or Nestle. That's industrial food product. There's no reason to expect that it's made with fresh, healthy ingredients. Industrial food products are sold by advertising, not by quality. Beneful seems to be made mainly of corn meal filler (for fiber) and chicken "by-product meal". Presumably that's the feathers, droppings, guts, organs, and whatever else is left over after chicken processing, sterilizied, dried and ground into powder. Yum. At *best* it might include the chicken mush used to make "fake" chicken pieces in cheap restaurants, obtained by pressure-spraying the chicken bones to get off any leftover residue. (I say fake because the mush is glued together and apparently bleached to look like a piece of white chicken meat.)

Are you really going to miss Nestle chocolate? If so then here's your chance to taste chocolate that actually tastes like chocolate. A quick search shows Nestle chocolate chips contain "artificial flavoring". How bad can chocolate be to need artificial flavoring?!

Any decent chocolate bar should have *at least* 50% cocoa solids. If the percentage isn't even listed that's clear evidence that it's junk candy.

Reply to
Mayayana

GMO food is toxic for people and their pets. Right now big ag, big chem and big pharm are making billions so their highly-paid stooges are working furiously to keep the facts covered up. When the truth finally comes out, this will be bigger than the tobacco scandal.

Keep in mind that the FDA only exists to promote the health of big agriculture. They don't give a shit about you or your pet's health.

Reply to
Jack Lapin

"Mayayana" wrote in news:me46bq$hm2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

[...]

Liar.

Reply to
Doug Miller

A quick segue into kooksville, without any basis whatever.

Obviously you're clueless. The FDA has been involved in many instances of identifying bad pet food, finding the cause, getting product recalled, etc. But that interferes with the narrative, doesn't it?

Reply to
trader_4

Not that I blame the FDA , but GMO food IS toxic - not because it's GMO but because it's loaded with glyphosate , which IS toxic . Don't have the link at hand but I read an article about a pig farmer in Europe that stopped feeding GOM feed to his pigs and a number of problems he had disappeared . Yup , empirical evidence , but still ... you won't catch me using that stuff on anything my family eats , and I'll buy non-GMO when I can .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Sure, anecdotal report of one pig farmer, there you go..... What powerful evidence. And curiously, if it's glyphosate that's causing the alleged Beneful problem, why exactly is it apparently confined to Beneful and not all the other pet foods that also use all kinds of grains? Good grief. If it was that, one would expect widespread problems across all kinds of pet food.

Reply to
trader_4

Another aspect that argues against coverups, willful ignorance is this. Let's assume for the sake of argument that the Purina execs are a bunch focused on their profits and they don't care about the pets at all. This has been going on for a long time now. If they know what's causing it, or even if they had an idea what might be causing it, eg they know they added an ingredient, or changed suppliers just prior to the problems being reported, what would they do? If they are just out for profit, does it make more sense to continue to ship the stuff as is, or fix the problem? By shipping it, your whole brand is almost certainly going to go down the tubes. On the other hand, you could just eliminate whatever you had any inkling might be causing the problem. If some supply of whatever is contaminated with something, Purina has a lot to lose by not fixing it, ie the Purina brand and all their customers.

Reply to
trader_4

Our 13 year old Beagle currently eats Beneful and has her entire life. She's as healthy and active as any dog I've ever seen at her age.

tom

You're welcome to stuff anything you want into your piehole . I choose to be more discriminatory . And I read no mention of glyphosate being incrinimated in the pet food problem , you musta pulled that one outta your ass . You're pretty good at that ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs