Bending Trex by heating

Page 1 of 2
My previous post on dividing Trex boards into smaller boards has about run its course. Now, I want to know if anyone has ever tried heating Trex (or equivalent) to bend it?
On 10/07/2013 11:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

You'll have to heat the boards up in an oven to near melting temp. Would you like the temperature in Centigrade or Fahrenheit?
In centigrade please
On 9/19/2015 10:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Sme quoted text, please.
On 9/19/2015 11:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Chris, why are you posting in English when he wants you to speak to him in Centigrade?
On 9/19/2015 11:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

<slaps forehead> you are so right, Ed.
Yo! Mofo! Doan be trimmin dat shit off so tight, slick. Yo all be leabbin sum ol scrip on de post so's we can figger ow what choo been sayin, home. No wat I meen?
On 09/19/2015 10:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Did you flunk 3rd grade?
On 09/20/2015 10:14 AM, Rocky wrote:

Kids are no longer flunked.
Each child is given an award for breathing successfully for 365 days and then promoted to the next grade.
On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 20:50:26 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"
Try contacting Trex support. If it can be done, I'd guess you have to get it to the 180F - 200F range to soften the plastic. You may also significantly waken it mechanical strength too as it is a blend of materials with plastic.

It bends well at 350F.-just like a cooked noodle. It can be bent at lower temps too. Not sure I'd try it on the "coated" type, but you wouldn't slice that into smaller planks either. I'd try heat lamps or infrared heaters.
replying to snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net , Brittany M wrote:

its course. Now, I want to know if anyone has ever tried heating Trex (or equivalent) to bend it?
Hello, I am a representative of Trex. Trex now offers Trex CustomCurve Heating & Bending Solution. Trex CustomCurve is an innovative, easy-to-use heating unit that lets you curve decking, railing, and trim on or off site. Visit http://curveitnow.com/products.htm for more information.
On 10/7/13 10:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I wonder if an electrician's pvc conduit heater/bender would do the trick.
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:37:47 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

You mean the gas stove that I used when I had to bend PVC? ;)
On Monday, October 7, 2013 10:50:26 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

n its course. Now, I want to know if anyone has ever tried heating Trex (or equivalent) to bend it?
$7995 to bend two simple armrests is about $7992 more than I am willing to pay. I have an electric stove with thermostat oven control to the nearest 5 degrees. I'll cut the 2 armrests and start at 350 degrees and see what h appens. I have enough material that I can ruin 2 or 3 armrests while learn ing and have enough material left for the final two armrests. I'll call T rex tomorrow and see if they are wiling to give me a recommended temperatur e(that their $7995 unit generates).

As thick as the stuff is, I bet the secret lies in being patient.

That 8K unit bends boards along their width. Quite a feat. I think you're looking for a bend along the depth. You should make that clear. A little heat should do the job.
--
Dan Espen

On Monday, October 7, 2013 10:50:26 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

n its course. Now, I want to know if anyone has ever tried heating Trex (or equivalent) to bend it?
The Trex chat phone line recommended that I call their technical support so I will find out tomorrow what they recommend. I have trimmed the Trex dow n to 1/2 inch thick, 1.5" wide, and about 12" long. The shape is a sideway s "s" and not a real lot of bending needed. So, we'll see that the Trex te chnical folks recommend, and I'll post that here.
Just got off the phone with Trex, after being transferred 4 times, I got a rep who said Trex recommends 185 - 200 F for bending their products.
Hope to try it within the next day or so and will report here.

Sound like a bath, or stream, of boiled water would get you close. We await your results! : )
On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:05:30 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

A pot of boiling water should do the job for the arm-rests.