bending emt by hand.

Hello eveyone,

I don't have the money to spend on a emt offset bender("kicker") and don't want to spend money on offset fittings for emt to handy boxes. So..... I'm guessing there was a way to do this by using a simple conduit bender hand tool....is there?

Thank you, post your replies to this group.

later,

tom

Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

This is Turtle.

a Many of man has tried it by hand and all I know of failed completely. It is almost impossible to keep it from Kinking when doing it by hand. You can get a

20 to 25º Turn maybe but anymore and you kink it. Home depot sells a emt bender for about $29.00 to $59.00 depending on the size.

Now you can try at the rent it stores and they have these benders for rent but Price I don't know.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Flexible conduit????

Reply to
Ross Mac

I've not tried w/ EMT but if you have something of appropriate size on hand, a heavy gauge spring whose inner diameter is just larger than the tubing will work for things like copper, etc. For an offset bend you might get by...but as TOITLE noted, a simple hand bender ain't expensive for 1/2" conduit which I would guess would be what you'd be using...

Alternative would be flex or switch to plastic for the last few inches (if you're not using the conduit for ground as some installations do/did--is that still in code btw?)...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I think you mis-understood what he's trying to do: He's not trying to bend the pipe bare-handed, he just wants to use the $12 tube-bender instead of the $125 special offset bending tool.

You can do that just by bending a slight bend, backing up a couple inches, and bending the other way. If you set up on a 2x4, the first bend won't plow into the floor when you roll the tubing over. If you keep the 2x4, you can also nail an upright and a crosspiece so you can mark how far to shift the pipe and how far to pull the handle.

Reply to
default

If your only bending 1 or 2.. pack the tubing with sand so it won't kink when you bend it

waldo

Reply to
Waldo Point

Look at all the replies you got...and hardly anybody really read your post.

To make a simple box offset with a hand EMT bender, make a mark 4 inches from the end. Hold the bender upright with the handle on the ground. Place the end of conduit flush with the front shoe of the bender and bend down about 10°. Push the pipe forward until the the mark you made at four inches is lined up with the front of the shoe. Rotate the pipe 180° and bend again to about 10°.

It takes alot less to time to do it than to explain how to do it.

Ideal industries has a pdf file on conduit bending on their website....it may help to illustrate a bit better.

Good luck.....

Reply to
Zip

This is Turtle.

I stand corrected here and you do have a cheap set of emt benders. You can do anything you want including the rolling off set with a set of benders. I just bend in the reverse side for the off set of the roll. Left handed people will under stand this for they have to look at everything backwards.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Who didn't read the OP??????????

Reply to
Ross Mac

Zactly. Was waiting for someone to point that out.

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
bumtracks

Don't bother bending the conduit! Shop around, I buy offset conduit fittings with the "kick" in them already. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Subject: Re: bending emt by hand. Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Greg O

What exactly did you NOT understand when he wrote: "I..don't want to spend money on offset fittings"???

Reply to
G. Morgan

Oh hell! Never mind! I missed that! (still my recomendation though!!) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

It's easy to miss when trying not to take too much time...shoot, I thought he said he didn't have (and didn't want to buy) a hand bender tool, too... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On 1/14/2005 10:11 AM US(ET), Duane Bozarth took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

What I got from the OP's post.

  1. The OP doesn't want to buy an EMT bender (which my electrician friend calls a 'Hickey').
  2. He doesn't want to buy or use pre-made offset fittings.
  3. He wants to know if there is a 'hand tool' to bend conduit.

I do not know of a hand tool bender, other than the hand and foot held 'Hickey'. If there was a bender that could be held in the hands, one would have to be pretty strong to bend conduit with just the hands. Even by filling the conduit with sand to prevent kinks while bending without a 'Hickey' or hand tool, the sand would only add to the amount of power needed to bend the conduit. The only solution would be to find someone with a 'Hickey' to bend the conduit, be it a relative, friend, or neighbor (I have one and am not an electrician), or some electrical installer or supply house.

Reply to
willshak

Boy, for such a short post, seems like everyone is reading impaired today.

He does not want to buy a "offset bender" and wants to know if this can be done with a "hand tool".

I consider a normal "manual" EMT bender to be a hand tool, even though feet may be involved.

Others have posted how to do an offset with the hand bender. Another idea might be to count the number of offsets, take that many pieces to an electrical contractor and have them run the pieces through the offset bender the use couplings. Show up near quitting time with some adult beverages, might just get it done for no further cost...

-->original postHello eveyone,

DJ

Reply to
DJ

If he was to get lucky and find a matched pair of 1/2 & 3/4 greenlee's on auction, he might afford them if no else one bids.

bumtracks

I have to get an emt bender, about $25 at HD. this=>

I was asking if there was a way to make offesets WITHOUT a 'offset bender' ('a 'kicker') this=>
This is over $150.

So my question was there a simple way to do offsets with the simple hand bender? Maybe a series of photos, a vendor movie, etc.....

Thank you for your replies.

tom

Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

You can bend offsets with a conduit bender, I have done it, but I am no way qualified to tell someone how to do it!

Same way you learn piano, practice, practice, practice! Greg

Reply to
Greg O