Belt vs orbital sander

Page 1 of 2
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?
And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)
Andy
On 4/7/2016 6:36 PM, Andy wrote:

Define special sanding paper? A belt sander requires a belt sandpaper. It's a continuous connect loop of sandpaper whereas a orbital sander uses a disk sandpaper. Either one has a variety of grit.
Using the same grit on both sanders, a belt sander will sand down wood at a much faster speed than an orbital sander.

Not to mention what material is being sanded... wood, metal, fiberglass etc...
--
RonNNN

Random orbital sanders use round discs and squares, depending on brand. A square piece fer sqr orb sanders can be cut from any sheet of sandpaper, including a "belt", and are usually held to the machine via pressure bars. Round discs fer rnd orb sanders usually have some sorta glue to attach the sandpaper discs.
Disc sanders obviously use round sandpaper discs. ;)
nb
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 7:33:17 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Are you sure that square *random* orbital sanders exist?
As far as I know, the square sanders, AKA Palm Sanders or Sheet Sanders are orbital sanders, but not *random* orbital sanders.
If square random orbital sanders do exist, AFAIK they are a very small subset of the square sander world. A quick Google search did not reveal any square random orbital sanders.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 7:49:28 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This is what I have. I do not know if it is orbital or not.
SKIL 7232-01 1.8 AMP 1/4 SHEET PALM SANDER
Andy
On 4/8/2016 8:06 AM, Andy wrote:

[snip]

When a sander is a ROS, it will tell you so in the name/description.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:06:48 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Again, there is a difference between orbital and *random* orbital.
Most (if not all) palm sanders are orbital in that they move back and forth and also in small yet consistent circles.
A random orbital sander has an offset cam on the motor shaft so that it vibrates in tiny circles, like an orbital finishing sander, but it also spins in circles. The basically means that no single part of the pad will ever touch the same spot of the work on any given pass.
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 05:49:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

They are not that rare. I have 2 and both use rectangular sheet of sand paper (half a full sheet)

No.

No mas!
nb
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 10:42:02 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Let's be clear: square orbital sanders or square *random* orbital sanders?
Do you have a model number or even a manufacturer available?
I checked DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch and Festool. I may have missed it, but I'm not finding a single square random orbital sander.
I'm not doubting you, in fact I really interested in seeing what a square random orbital sander might do.
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 09:45:52 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I don't know how "random" it is but it is certainly orbital and the pattern seems pretty erratic..
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 2:16:12 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, there ya go! ;-)
I'm gonna stick to my guns and continue to say that there are no square random orbital sanders, at least until proven otherwise.
It is my understanding that the difference is that square sheet sanders go back and forth and (based on the model) around in a circle.
Random orbital sanders have a round disk that goes in a circle but also moves in an random elliptical motion.
I don't know if the information here is 100% accurate, but it's the way I believe things work.
http://www.bobvila.com/articles/2143-finishing-sanders/#.Vwf6k-IrJaQ
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 18:51:06 -0400, Meanie wrote:

+1 on that. I bought one to do one job of 'flushing' the overhang of the bottom of a built-in cupboard to fit a slightly oversize fridge in my kitchen.
The job was done in about 20 seconds.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 2016-04-07 7:40 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:

Hope you have used it since or you should have rented it. Buying a tool my rule is, if I can never see myself using it again, rent, else buy.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
FrozenNorth wrote ... on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 19:46:31 -0400 ...

My rule is slightly different, but it has similar effects.
1. If you *know* you'll use a set of tools, buy them on sale (if you can). 2. If you *need* a tool now, then consider renting.
Things that are "big" are often often better rented than bought, e.g., - Wood chippers - Tillers - Steam rollers - Steam cleaners
But smaller stuff is often better bought, e.g., - Belt sanders - Bench grinders - Chainsaws - Lawnmowers
Meanie wrote ... on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 18:51:06 -0400 ...

I've had both and I can't stand orbital sanders.
Lots of people do fine with cross-grain sanding and it's good for corners and non-flat areas.
But, if my kid asked me "Daddy, which sander should I get first", it would be a belt sander, hands down, first choice.
(Nothing wrong with a few extra tools so go ahead and get that orbital, but get it when you need it.)
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 5:51:25 PM UTC-5, SBH wrote:

My orbital sander uses a 1/4 sheet of sandpaper.
I am quite sure that a sandpaper loop is quite a bit more expensive.
"Andy" wrote in message
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?
And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)
Andy
It all depend how do you use it and for what purpose. Orbital sander dose not have option to be use cross the grid or down the grid while belt sander dose and what type wood you use it on???
Andy wrote:

If you have to ask you don't want a belt sander.