Belt keeps breaking on Oreck XL vacuum

We have an Oreck XL 9000D. It worked fine for the first several years, but now the belts keep breaking. It can go for a couple of rooms and then break, or it will break as soon as I put it on. I replaced the roller and I keep it clean and free-spinning constantly. As a matter of fact, I JUST cleaned the roller and checked it for spin, put on a brand new belt, and as soon as I turned it on I smelled that old familiar smell and the belt was ALREADY broken. The drive shaft and the roller appear to be aligned, but it's hard to tell by eyeballing it. Are there any suggestions or should I ditch this so-called wonderful vacuum????? Knobcourt
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:05:54 +0000, KnobCourt wrote:

You have a bind. Is the belt the correct model and is it routed properly? I'm not familiar with the Orek but most uprights have a plate on the bottom that must be removed to install the belt. When the plate is replaced the belt usually has to be routed between "guides" on the metal plate. Also is this a flat straight belt, meaning the motor is parallel to the brush, or does it have a twist in it, meaning the motor shaft is perpendicular to the brush, like some Hoovers? If the belt has a twist in it, did you twist it in the right direction? If the belt breaks that quickly you have a major bind, or belt routing issue. I would investigate further before tossing the unit. You should be able to locate the bind by yourself. HTH
I had a vacuum once where the bottom plate was the culprit. Somehow it had gotten bent, so that when it was in place, it rubbed the belt enough for it to "smell" and break. Perry

but now

break, or it

clean
roller
turned it on

drive
eyeballing
replying to KnobCourt, Doc wrote:

now
it
on
eyeballing
I know this is a really old thread, but it may help someone. This may be why:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Belt-burning-rubber-smell-on-Oreck-XL-vacuum-brush-roll-/10000000002987558/g.html
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, Doc wrote:

I doubt your reply to an ELEVEN YEAR OLD question help anyone. Let's hope they wised up and got a Dyson.
On 5/7/2015 2:47 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I've read that Dyson is way overpriced and the Shark is better. Anyone ever do a real comparison?

Consumer reports generally rates Hoover well. Dyson overpriced.
replying to ItsJoanNotJoann , suckitupbuttercup wrote:

they wised up and got a Dyson.
Hey, guess what? Looks like you're the only one who needs to "wise up" because that reply to an ***ELEVEN YEAR OLD QUESTION* just helped me.*
You and your Dyson **BOTH SUCK!* *****
replying to Doc, suckitupbuttercup wrote:

why:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Belt-burning-rubber-smell-on-Oreck-XL-vacuum-brush-roll-/10000000002987558/g.html
Just wanted to thank you for the link. Even though the original post was eleven years ago, your response just helped me. Helpful advice and good information have no expiration date.