Belt driven small mower

Years ago I was able to hit a stump with a rented belt driven mower. Do they still exist as I'd like to get one with under 18 cutting width.

Reply to
Bill who putters

They are not common. Brush hogs are always belt driven because you hit things with them but I don't think you can get something with that small a cutting width. Mine is about 30". If I sharpen the blades it gives a half way decent cut even on grass. Blades get dull fast using it for what it is intended for.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I've only seen belt drives on large commercial mowers. Seems very unlikely to exist in a typical mower size for cutting lawns for a variety of good reasons, ie practicality, more complex design, no space, cost.

Probably better to just not mow stumps. Use a string trimmer in areas unsuited to mowing.

Reply to
trader4

On 5/14/2011 8:16 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

Where did you get that idea?

And the small single-spindle puppies...

Nary a belt--all gear cases and pto shaft-driven...

--

Reply to
dpb

Craftsman lawn tractors are all belt driven including the mower deck.

Reply to
LSMFT

But under 18 inches wide?????? I doubt it (unless it's in the toy department)

Reply to
clare

Even with a belt it doesnt mean you didnt screw it up, you dont know you returned it. Just dont hit anything and no I dont think they make what you want , an 18" rock proof mower. Or use a weed wacker.

Reply to
ransley

Take one blade off.

Reply to