Belt driven small mower

Years ago I was able to hit a stump with a rented belt driven mower. Do they still exist as I'd like to get one with under 18 cutting width.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

They are not common. Brush hogs are always belt driven because you hit things with them but I don't think you can get something with that small a cutting width. Mine is about 30". If I sharpen the blades it gives a half way decent cut even on grass. Blades get dull fast using it for what it is intended for.

I've only seen belt drives on large commercial mowers. Seems very unlikely to exist in a typical mower size for cutting lawns for a variety of good reasons, ie practicality, more complex design, no space, cost.
Probably better to just not mow stumps. Use a string trimmer in areas unsuited to mowing.
On 5/14/2011 8:16 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

Where did you get that idea?
<http://www.servis-rhino.com/products/rotary-cutters/flex-wing/
And the small single-spindle puppies...
<http://www.servis-rhino.com/products/rotary-cutters/single-spindle/
Nary a belt--all gear cases and pto shaft-driven...
Bill who putters wrote:

Craftsman lawn tractors are all belt driven including the mower deck.

But under 18 inches wide?????? I doubt it (unless it's in the toy department)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Take one blade off.

Even with a belt it doesnt mean you didnt screw it up, you dont know you returned it. Just dont hit anything and no I dont think they make what you want , an 18" rock proof mower. Or use a weed wacker.