Behr Paint - any good?

Page 1 of 2
OK, I know, Depot brand. I know how they cut deals with vendors, etc. But, that's doesn't necessarily make it bad :-)
How does it actually compare? Opinions? Any independent lab test of paint qualities (application, cover, durability?)
Thanks,
Still Just Me... wrote:

Consumer Reports has rated Behr highly for quite a while. HD has a sale on now.
Still Just Me... wrote:

    I don't know much about how they are rated, but I used their stain for the outside of my home about 14 years ago, and it was still in good shape this year when I repainted. The stain was listed as good for 10 years and did much better than that. When I repainted/restained the house I again bought the same product. I was pleased.

I cant complain about Behr, along with the quality it also seems to be very forgiving for the DIY user. A lot of the mistakes that DIYers make in applying it dont shoew up,
Jimmie
On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:06:42 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

Sounding OK so far... more opinions welcome.
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:43:44 -0400, Still Just Me...

I've painted four home interiors with Behr. Three were using an airless sprayer and one (current) was rollers and brush. My exterior is stucco and I've sprayed it with Behr.
The product has been good to me :-)
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:03:19 -0400, Still Just Me...

I regularly buy Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore, but recently tried Behr and it is very good choice. Plus, I can buy it on a Sunday.
Still Just Me... wrote:

CR ratings (for what they're worth) are equivalent to others of equivalent price point/quality/type.
As with any, the long-term success is dependent upon preparation, preparation, preparation.
We put 80 gal (oil) undercoat/40 gal (latex) high-gloss white on the old barn; it works very well in application, covers well, etc. After 8-yr, where the prep work wasn't quite up to snuff shows, rest still looks very good. This was an 40x66x40-ft peak 90-yr old wood barn that had last paint job probably 50 years prior so extremely weathered. Owing to the size, it was simply impossible to get every square inch as well prepped as it need to have done despite the weeks spent doing so w/ sander and the oxalic bleaching. On the new material, it is holding very well indeed.
Recommended; at least the top-of-the-line--I believe there are at least a couple of grades of Behr at HD as w/ most the other lines.

It's good...I know ALOT of my drywall customers use it and really like it....I haven't tried it yet but I am going to on MY stuff FIRST...Just in case...LOL...
benick wrote: ...

I've only used Behr exterior paints so no direct experience. I'd have no reservations, however, w/ the same caveats as previously noted.
For interior I've been using a Glidden product--don't recall the actual line, but I like it quite well. Again, it isn't the bottom-of-the-barrel in their product lineup...

Very int eresting! What ARE CR ratings worth, in your opinion and that of anyone else who might want to weigh in on this?
I'm vaguely looking at dishwashers (mine is out of order; see other post on water inlet), and their "Best Buy" is a Kenmore. Then I went to my nabe appliance store. The man said that Wbirlpool makes Kenmore makes Kitchen Aid (or some sequence). How can consumer tell which is best line? Also, CR rates KitchenAid low for too many repairs. Sigh!

Higgs Boson wrote:

Other than some of the longevity testing such as paints and such where they may be of some validity I personally don't take CR seriously at all.
Yes, Sears has appliances made for them to sell under the "Kenmore" brand -- and different kinds of appliances by different manufacturers, and perhaps the manufacturers change from year to year, for all I know: our Kenmore refrigerator and dishwasher are by Whirlpool, washer and dryer by Frigidaire (which is now Electrolux, which is Swedish), our microwave by LG, I think (Korean). I don't recall the manufacturer of the gas water heater.
I have read that the first three digits of the Kenmore model number indicate the manufacturer.
BUT Sears can have Whirlpool (or whoever) build an appliance to Sears' own specifications, with either more or fewer features than those of the models Whirlpool sells under its own name. Further, one or two "layers" of the distribution system -- the distributor/wholesaler -- is/are eliminated , so it's *possible* (but not guaranteed) that the consumer gets better value for money.
Home Depot, Lowe's, Sam's and Best Buy can do the same, except that the appliances they sell still have the Whirlpool (or whatever) name on them. Yet they could have unique model numbers and be somewhat different from an identical-looking appliance sold by "Joe's Home Appliances, your locally owned neighborhood store." It's possible that the *only* difference is the model number -- so you can't invoke the price-match guarantee.
Whirlpool can incorporate different features into the appliances it manufactures under different brands (Maytag, Kitchen Aid, and others?); some of those may not work well and render the product unreliable. Or quality control in the plant where a particular Whirlpool-owned brand of appliance is made may be sub-standard.
One problem with CR -- as with similar publications in other countries -- is that the highly rated product may have been discontinued by the time you are ready to buy.
Perce
Higgs Boson wrote:

LG stants for Luck Goldstar. Back in the 80's Goldtar appliances hit the US market and were not very good. The re-did their egineering and re-emerged as LG>

My local appliance dealer belongs to a buyers coop, as do many now. He is able to meet or better the prices of Sears and all the big box stores. His service is far superior also. I could tell you a few stories of how he does things that HD or Lowes would laugh at you if you asked.

My company made parts for a Sears appliance supplier. Sears would always ask for something just a little different to offer a perceived better value. Some were pure useless gimmick, but they could check off one more box on the features comparison. .

That surprises me as we've had very good luck with KA appliances. Three dishwashers over 40 years, refrigerator, disposals, etc. Never had to call a repairman.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That depends on how you define "not very good". In reality the definition was more like "not very fancy", and I recall friends with a few Goldstar items waiting for their pieces of crap to die so they could replace then with something better (fancier), but they never did, they just kept working just fine.

Yes, and now their products are indeed "fancy" and seem to be similarly reliable.

Yep, I got my Maytag Neptune Superstack W/D from a real appliance dealer, and got it delivered for a couple hundred less than the exact same model at HD / Lowe's without delivery.
Pete C. wrote:

A few months ago, when I switched over to digital, I finally retired my Goldstar VCR. I bought it in 1990, because it was affordable and had stereo output. Played hundreds of tapes, recorded hundreds of hours of programming, and the thing never had any trouble at all.
I'd still be using it today, except for the change in technology.
Jon

I'm still using my 1989 Sony Stereo VCR. It was state of the art then. The "date" settings (calendar built into the chip) ENDED in 2005 so to set the TIME/DATE (to be able to Program record ) each Year, I have to select a "year" that has the same date layout as current. Right now, its 1998. The good thing about this system is that I can record different channels over one evening. The local cable TV provider wants me to go to a Digital box. If I do that, I'm stuck recording the (whichever) ONE channel the digital box may be set on.. The only way to get around that is get a PVR/DVR and since my VCR works fine, I dont see the "need" to spend $ 300 on one of those just yet. My wife has a newer (1995) SONY in her room which is also working fine.
Just what are KA appliances ???
That surprises me as we've had very good luck with KA appliances. Three dishwashers over 40 years, refrigerator, disposals, etc. Never had to call a repairman.

Kitchen Aide. There have been so many buy-ups in the past few years I have no idea who owns who.

Pretty sure they are still Whirpool now. Of course, that was last week and may have changed.
http://www.appliance411.com/parts/make.shtml Admiral (Canada) Chambers Coovert (ac's) Crosley (newer fridges, a/c's and all portable washers) Danby ( 8 ) Estate Inglis Ikea Kenmore ( see Sears ) KitchenAid ( 4 ) Kirkland Maytag Epic Roper Speed Queen (Canada) Sub Zero (undercounter ice makers) Whirlpool