Behr Paint

My painter, for whom I had good references, has switched from Benjamin Moore to Behr paints just before painting. Obviously, this made me a bit suspicious. He said that Benjamin Moore has recently been sold and that the color consistency has been uneven. Does this ring true to anyone? The painter came highly recommended, but I've begun to wonder.

Reply to
TB

BS , Moore is expensive Behr is cheaper HD paint, not to say Behr is bad , and I cant compare. But you are looking at him increasing his bottom line. If he quoted Moore get what you paid for. If anything the amateurs at HD will mix it wrong, That im sure of.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is odd because Moore and Behr paints just came up the other day in a conversation with my husband.

He had painted our newly-built garage in top-end Moore and loved the results and how easy the paint was to work with. Everybody seems to be impressed with the paint and he's gotten many comments from neighbors and some of the workmen who had to come back to fix a few things. One neighbor said that he knows a guy who is really high up in the Behr company and his whole house was painted in Moore.

Good luck to you!

Reply to
Skirmishd

The "amateurs" at HD punch a few buttons, and the machine does the tinting. :+)

Moore may be better than Behr, but the tinting/color machines are pretty slick.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I'm not positive, but I think Consumer Reports didn't give Behr a good rating. Their top pick however was the Lowes paint, Valspar.

My experience with Behr wasn't good, and I really like the Valspar paint

mort

Reply to
mortguffman

Behr got an outstanding rating in the recent Consumer Reports. So did several other brands. Check it out at the library.

Reply to
Art

Amateurs are jerks using webtv.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

It's not easy being totally wrong, but you succeeded.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Behr's premium line of paint recently kicked Benjamin Moore's butt in one of the latest Consumer Reports issues. May have been interior paint - not sure. If you don't subscribe, chk in library. It would be in painter's interest to change to Behr, as it is cheaper for him, but may do just as well for you. I think the color consistency is BS - this is a Red Herring, IMHO.

Reply to
Roger

Curmudgeon is an idiot that knows shit about pro painting and is an ass as well

Reply to
m Ransley

I used Behr's Deck Plus to paint my deck. I used Behr #64 to stripe off the old stain Flood oil-latex red stain. The first coat was washed out in the hurricane Charlie, cause I painted a just a few hrs before the hurricane. The second work I started almost a week after, in the evening and since I forgot to stir the paint (5 gal bucket), next day morning to our horror the paint work all turned out to be chalky and the Gettysburg blue stains standing apart in patches where ever the morning due/mist has formed a film of water. So I did start the 3rd coat, after mixing the paint using a paint stirrer attached to an electric drill, on a full day light under direct sun (not an good idea according to Behr instruction). It looks good in the morning inspite of the standing thin film of water on top of the yesterday paint work.

Can I call it success? Still the verdict is out with the sleeping home inspectors (thats my wife and kids).

Sam

Reply to
sams

We've used both. Noticed no difference in quality, only price. Just moved and Behr is on my list of things to buy.

Reply to
Les Nessman

Thanks everyone who posted thoughtful answers--this is a pretty amazing group that you can post a query at night and wake up to ten responses. One more specific question. It looks as if we are switching from Moore's Moorglo Softgloss Medium 0962b (fortified acrylic) to Behr exterior flat/premium plus no. 4560. I've found that the Behr is on sale (!) for $18.95 at Home Depot. Can anyone tell me what this specific line of Moore sells for?

Thanks again to all.

Tim

Reply to
TB

Sounds like your painter isn't a professional painter.

Benny Moore does not mix by eye like the old days, except for custom mixed _stains_. They use the latest technologies for computer color matching & mixing.

No real painter shops @ Home Depot for paint. No real painter would make the claim Behr is better than Moore. Behr paints rate good in consumer reports because a very large % of _retail_ people use it because of costs. Bottom line is it is cheaper, and the layman believes all paints are equal, most can not justify paying $3-$10 more per gallon for the superior product.

Your painter should _not_ be painting from one gallon to the next. They should mix/blend when getting to the bottom of a gallon/bucket. This is done even with the most expensive paints on the market. If your painter isn't blending the last of their buckets, they really haven't a clue about painting. The painter should not be painting straight out of the can, a painter uses a paint bucket.

Might be time to begin more than wondering about your painter.

Reply to
Clayton

Benjamin Moore has been owned by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway company since 2000. Either your painter is talking about the sale of a local franchise or company-owned STORE or he is misinformed.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I'm not a booster of either HD or CU, but I've seen painters buy paint at Home Depot. Maybe they were *posing* as painters, but those overalls looked convincing. Consumers Reports cares little about sales volume, but they do rate paints that have reasonably high sales volume, to limit number of trials, and eliminate boutique sized paint companies, that are usually made by the big manufacturers anyway. They rate paints by color retention, aging, ease of application, etc, and have thorough aging tests in a variety of environments, and take no advertising money. My experience is that I will usually go with whatever the painter is comfortable with, unless the CU evaluation is just rotten, when I ask him to change brands. Both Behr and Ben Moore are rated fully acceptable, but Behr beats Moore in areas of price and performance, and is not retail sales related at all, in my opinion.

Reply to
Roger

Stick with Moore If you already had a bid with Moore, Or the guys a LIAR.......I would not let work on my house.....

Reply to
m Ransley

"Barry Feldman" wrote

Bzzzzzztttttttttt wrong. Consumers reports is geared toward the average homeowner, not the professional. Here's something taken directly from their site which shows their reports _are_ supplemented by surveys taken directly from subscribers of Consumers Reports.

"To supplement laboratory testing, the survey research department gathers the experiences that hundreds of thousands of our subscribers have had with products and services through an annual questionnaire. Those results are the basis of our well-known auto Frequency-of-Repair index and other product-reliability reports."

Next time at least look into the subject before inserting foot in mouth.

Reply to
Clayton

"Roger" wrote

You need to familiarize yourself with how Consumer Reports works, instead of how you think it works. Once you become familiar with it, you understand their reports are influenced by hundreds of thousands clueless consumers/subscribers which put in their .02. These are the same consumers which never thought about buying quality over cheapness.

Consumer doesn't take advertising money, but they sure haul in the _grant_ money from manufacturers.

Reply to
Clayton

You are completely off base, Clayton. Performance testing is done in the lab, repair frequencies and such are polled from actual buyers; not idiots.

Reply to
Roger