Befuddled

I have a problem I haven't seen addressed on this forum before, and I've surprised myself that I haven't asked about it sooner.

A few years ago, I built an addition to my house that connected the main structure to the detached garage. Pre-remodeling, there was a breezeway between the garage and house, with a concrete sidewalk between, going from the front of the house to the back.

The contractors built right over the sidewalk, putting the floor joists on top if it, with the result being a couple of small bedrooms where the breezeway used to be.

I was happy with the results, with one glaring exception: they didn't finish off the space between the new addition walls and the existing sidewalk "foundation." So, I used a jigsaw and cut some chipboard plywood to cover the space on each side, being careful to also install an air vent.

It has never really worked; the 3/4" chipboard is deteriorating, animals are getting under the addition, and it flat-out doesn't look good. And there was never a real good way to attach the chipboard to the floor joists or anything else. To put it simply, it was flimsy and ugly, particularly once the outside moisture got to it.

I've given a fair amount of thought as to how I would remedy the situation, but can't come up with a satisfactory solution.

On possibilitiy is putting a mesh between the wall and sidewalk, and filling with stucco or something similar, but that doesn't sound like it will work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Dale Randall

Sure hope those joists were treated lumber. Was this thing ever inspected to see if it meets code? Sounds like some treated lumber might be a fix but it is hard to figure out what you are talking about. Any footers under the sidewalk?

Reply to
Art

How about a few photos, Like anyone can SEE it

Reply to
m Ransley

Any footers under the sidewalk?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Dale:

DR> I have a problem I haven't seen addressed on this forum before, and I've DR> surprised myself that I haven't asked about it sooner. DR> DR> A few years ago, I built an addition to my house that connected the main DR> structure to the detached garage. Pre-remodeling, there was a breezeway DR> between the garage and house, with a concrete sidewalk between, going from DR> the front of the house to the back. DR> DR> The contractors built right over the sidewalk, putting the floor joists on DR> top if it, with the result being a couple of small bedrooms where the DR> breezeway used to be. DR> DR> I was happy with the results, with one glaring exception: they didn't finis

DR> off the space between the new addition walls and the existing sidewalk DR> "foundation." So, I used a jigsaw and cut some chipboard plywood to cover DR> the space on each side, being careful to also install an air vent.

I think part of the problem may be using chipboard plywood. If this is what I think it is it the chips partially peel away and it looks terrible.

DR> It has never really worked; the 3/4" chipboard is deteriorating, animals ar

DR> getting under the addition, and it flat-out doesn't look good. And there DR> was never a real good way to attach the chipboard to the floor joists or DR> anything else. To put it simply, it was flimsy and ugly, particularly once DR> the outside moisture got to it.

The first issue would be to provide a more secure framework for the panels to make it more secure. Perhaps 2x4's or even 1x3's for the verticals, a treated footer, perhaps with holes drilled into it to accomodate rods driven through it 18" or so into the ground to keep from moving. All depends how much room we're talking about.

Another option may be to create some sort of a flower/shrub planter, the back portion against the addition.

DR> On possibilitiy is putting a mesh between the wall and sidewalk, and fillin

DR> with stucco or something similar, but that doesn't sound like it will work.

Would stucco go with the rest of the house? The framework under the stucco would have to be solid else would crack. ...Perhaps greenboard used in tub/shower enclosures or cementboard used as underlayment for tile floors?

  • Southern: "Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit."
Reply to
barry martin