Before I melt: Advice on PTAC (brand, btu, can I install myself?)

Greetings all,
I am thinking about getting a packaged terminal air conditioner for my bedroom (which is around 400 sq. ft) and am soliciting opinions and advice. What are good brands/models? How many btu's do I need? If I am tolerably handy with a set of tools, can I install it myself? Are there any particular drawbacks associated with PTAC's that I should know about? Does it plug into a wall socket, or is there some special electrical work that an electrician should do (I happen to have an electrician coming out to the house on Monday for something else anyway, so if an electrician needs to do something, I'd love to get him to do it at that time). I don't know if PTAC's come with heaters or not, but I don't need any heating from it at all...only cooling for a few months of the year.
Thanks!
Chuck

All are about the same...really. About to the point they are like window units....throw away..

Enough to do the job...if you dont know, this would be a good time to ask for a HVAC contractor to run a manual J...

Ummm....had a few that we have installed that about drove us nuts...and keep in mind...your wall studs are 16 inches apart, and most PTACs are at least 30...

A window units much cheaper..

A true PTAC is a 220VAC unit..some, if not all, are hardwired.
No plugs.

A PTAC can come in a heat pump model, straight AC or with electric heat...what model you chose is up to you.