Bees in the ground?

Page 2 of 4
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:56:41 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

RIGHT! Go back and look at the research done since the 60s. It was safer than many of the current pesticides. Rachel Carson's _Silent Spring_ has been found to be totally wrong but before that as a result, world governments had banned a perfectly harmless product.
Nearly three million people die of malaria each year. I hope she can sleep nights.
I used chlordane, etc. safely for years, too. Just pay attention to the instructions and bury what you need to so pets don't get into it. Billions of dollars worth of homes have been lost to termites since it was banned.
-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:51:04 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Grab a copy of Stossel's new book. He cites studies which show that people are more apt to be poisoned by nature's own pesticides than by any man-made artificials. http://tinyurl.com/rc93k
But I'm against killing bees. Using water to drive them out is a much better play, IMO.
-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Stossel!??! He's been discredited many times over for completely twisting this kind of information.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:12:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

<g> Stossel was tried and found guilty of things by folks withsomething to hide. He also admitted (openly in his first book) to failing to check a researcher's facts regarding pesticides (the researcher forgot to check for them) and got nailed for it...ONCE. He was since promoted to higher office in ABC News. From Wikipedia: "Stossel has won many awards, including 19 Emmy Awards. One year, according to Stossel in his book Give Me A Break, "I got so many Emmys, another winner thanked me in his acceptance speech 'for not having an entry in this category.'" Stossel has been honored five times for excellence in consumer reporting by the National Press Club. Among his other awards are the George Polk Award for Outstanding Local Reporting and the George Foster Peabody Award."
That BOTH of his books continued on the Best Seller lists for long periods of time is proof enough that the public didn't buy any of the attempted guilt trips imposed by those he caught with their hands in the cookie jars and those with other agendas. He's a Libertarian and both the Reps and Dems hate that.
Open your mind and seek the truth, Joe.
-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh
wrote in message

It doesn't matter. As I keep teaching you, there is no testing of agricultural chemicals on human beings. If you think they can be deemed safe without testing, then I would guess that you are choosing this path because you are one of the "perfect lawn junkies", and you MUST create your own reality to justify your use of chemicals.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:42:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
I wrote:

<g> Yassa massa. Jes doan hit me massa. (Don't you get nosebleeds upthere, Joe?)

The scientific method settled upon by our gov't is to limit exposure to pesticides by testing for contamination. They, along with others from medical, chemical, and organic backgrounds, also determined which chemicals are were deemed safe enough to be used by farmers and gardeners on crops. Sevin is one of those.
I've used Roundup on thistles here but I don't use it on my garden plot in the spring, before I plant. Instead, I mulch to prevent weeds.

Bwahahaha! You guess far too much. If you saw my "lawn", you'd quickly realize that I don't use too many chemicals around here. I'm putting in raised-bed flower and specimen shrub gardens and will be happily removing as much of that damned grass stuff as I can shortly. I hate mowing. ;)
Used per the instructions, use of common garden pesticides make us no less safe than eating most commercially grown food
Riddle me this: When is the last time you heard of a pesticide-induced death, other than when someone fell into a vat of it or a tanker crashed? Let me know if you ever find any.
If you had paid attention, you'd have noted that I also stated that I liked bees, wanted them to live, that water was my preferred method to get them to move vs. poisoning or flaming them.
I'm on Nature's side, but I'm not afraid of a few chemicals, either. I rinse my veggies whether they're from local farms, supermarkets, or organic growers. Dirt and bacteria are the main reason for that, not pesticide residues. My method is to use Nature and common sense, first, organics when possible, and whatever nasty chemicals last, if indeed necessary. Some things, like blackberry bushes, need extreme measures. They're the worst weed in my yard and have taken a quart of blood every season since I moved here. Once I use this quart of Roundup (maybe 5 years. I have 1/3 acre in the country with pastureland on two sides.) I'll switch to a better defoliant like Crossbow. I spray before the breeze starts picking up.
If you ever read how many different chemicals are casually used on grapes, you'd never take another sip of wine or eat another grape, I guarantee. Vineyard workers are out there every week with one chemical or another, sometimes several in that time frame. <g> I don't drink, and I prefer organic grapes _if_ I eat grapes.
Then again, there isn't enough oversight on organic farming and abuses happen there, too, especially by converted farmers who were used to spraying their crops with everything else. I'm not happy paying double the price for iffy food, either, so I'm not the strictly organic type. Organic produce is not necessarily any better, safer, or healthier than the corporate farm- grown produce. If you find documents to support such a statement, let me know about them, too. I've never seen proof. Because they have more undead (and unlisted) nutrients, they're probably better for us, but no proof has ever shown up.
-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh
Larry Jaques wrote: [snip]

Except for the spinach which i hear is, um, quite potent :-) Eric
Try lime that you spread on your yard. This has sometimes worked for me.

Ground nesting wasps are a big deal in Hawaii. We can actually call our State Department of Heath, Vector Control, and those people will come over and destroy that nest. I'd suggest you be sure about the nest because wasps can sting multiple times. Bees are one time and then they die but wasps keep their stingers. Anaphylactic shock etc. comes to mind. Of course I hope I am wrong about your nest.
aloha, beans --smithfarms.com farmers of pure kona roast beans to kona to email
HomeDecoy wrote:

Yellowjackets/ground-wasps don't use the same nest year-to-year, at least not here in the northeast.
In daylight use 2 by 4 or other long pole to EXACTLY mark the entrance...
Come back at NIGHT, use NO lights at all! They will instantly go after lights:(
Pour gasoline into bucket, approach quietly dump gasoline quickly down hole. This kills them instantly!
Now light the hole if you want it will burn off the gasoline.
If you REA:LLY concerned a few days later dig up the nest and surrounding soil dump in non garden area.
or leave that area for flowers only for a few years
avoid the hole for a few days straglers who didnt make it home the night of the disaster:) will fly around a bit then go away

Light it? You have to be kidding. Do you use this method on moles too?
Do you know where the hole goes or how big it is? What would happen if your hole was close or hooked up to a foundation? BOOM, instant headache.
In daylight use 2 by 4 or other long pole to EXACTLY mark the entrance...
Come back at NIGHT, use NO lights at all! They will instantly go after lights:(
Pour gasoline into bucket, approach quietly dump gasoline quickly down hole. This kills them instantly!
Now light the hole if you want it will burn off the gasoline.
If you REA:LLY concerned a few days later dig up the nest and surrounding soil dump in non garden area.
or leave that area for flowers only for a few years
avoid the hole for a few days straglers who didnt make it home the night of the disaster:) will fly around a bit then go away
Use plain old cheep bleach---just poor it in the hole & forget it. I get it at the $ store
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) Use plain old cheep bleach---just poor it in the hole & forget it. I :) get it at the $ store :) :) Bleach can sterilize the soil in the area for awhile creating a vegetation dead zone. The sevin dust at night is probably the best/safest home owner remedy suggested so far....
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

Option 1: Sevin dust.
Option 2: a pint of gasoline and a match. Stand back a safe distance and throw lit matches at the hole until it ignites. Bye-bye, bees.
--
Regards,

Then run for your life. There's nothing more dangerous than a flaming bee.

Remember to always follow directions/codes/common sense:
I had yellow jackets, a lot, nested under some mulch. I used some carpenter bee powder (I had for the carpenter bees that attack my deck), and dusted their enterence. The Yellow Jackets swarmed for a while and when I checked back later, I found many dead ones. I then dusted again for safe measure. :)
This is what I did, not a how-to for you. :)
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

You know, I was reading this, with CSI Miami in the background, and I turned to look at the TV, and they were in an airboat after a plane crash or something, and the blond guy spotted a survivor, and I thought, "One of the yellow jackets survived!"
I have to learn to compartmentalize.

If you take a clear plastic or glass bowl, place it over their hole and press it tightly to the ground, so they can't walk under the edge, put a weight of some sort on it to keep it in place, they will starve to death. Do this at night when they've all gone back into the nest and are not active. As long as they can see sunlight, they don't dig themselves a new exit hole