bees in the attic

I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey, dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for bees. What do you suggest?

I was reading a bit on the Internet about it but all the material was about honey bees and using some sort of dust. I guess you are supposed to get the hive and remains out too. I'm starting to get discouraged so if there is anyone with experience please let me know what you did.

Reply to
badgolferman

:) I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline :) into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey, :) dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and :) need to know what should be done. :) :) I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and :) hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for :) bees. What do you suggest?

Not sure I have ever seen bumlebees nesting up high. Make sure they aren't carpenter bees nesting in the trim boards. Any insecticide will kill individual bees. Determining what you have may help decide how to or even if you need to deal with them.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

Big problem where I live with carpenter bees, similar in size to bumblebees. The stuff that's dripping is a residue of bee crap mixed with sawdust. The wasp and hornet spray knocks them out. I've also used anything around the house that is petroleum based. Carburetor cleaner, WD-40, etc. If they made holes in the trim, fill with Liquid Nails but only after you've made sure you've killed the bees. Otherwise, they will bore deeper and come out somewhere else. Good information here:

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

What your seeing is Carpenter Bees not Bumble bees. Look alike but are different in life style.

Reply to
tinacci336

If you have access from inside the attic, consider using a couple of non-flammable dry foggers.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Boric acid will work [slowly] if you can get the dust to a location where the bees will make contact.

Reply to
John Keiser

imho:

By now from the replies you know you might have carpenter bees.

My deck is pressure treated, but the carpenter bees still like to bore inside of it. I found out if you kill the bee and putty over the hole, then new bees will make new holes. If you 'poison' the current holes, those holes will lure new bees into them, and they too will become poisoned.

I use a powder. You should see your local garden center, and get advice and lasting carpenter bee killing powder.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great