Beer bottles (again)

22 fl oz bottles cost me 95 cents a piece (case price). 12 fl oz bottles cost me 55 cents a piece (case price).

To me that means buy a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles and figure you're paying $3.10 for the bottles. Makes it easier to sell to my childbride. ;)

Yes it is rather simple to take labels off of bottles. At least most of them. Unfortunately some breweries, e.g., Stone Brewing in Kal-e-forn-ya and Yingling in Pencil-vane-e-a, use labels I have yet to be able to remove.

You need to see one of these bottles up close to understand the problem. Has anyone found a way to remove these labels?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

I still have a bunch of bottles free for the taking.... 5 or 6 cases with the labels removed already.

When I was cleaning bottles, I'd fill up the sanitary sink with bottles and hot water and put in a couple scoops of oxyclean. The next morning, the labels would either already be off or they would slide off. Sometimes the glue residue would require a little scrubbing with a wire pad (those scrubbie things). Oxy worked like a charm.

Seriously though, come and get a bunch of clean ones. I'll throw in a bench capper...

Ed

ed.edelenbos gmail com

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

1) Home Repair issue? : ) 2) Assume you're gonna brew! Been there; loved it! 3) I assume your problem bottles have the labels attached with that nasty gummy water proof glue. 4) What I did was scrape the bulk of the crap off with a knife so the chemicals have less to dissolve. I use Goo Gone. I scraped 6 bottles at a time. Then placed a piece of cloth (wash cloth works well) on the first bottle and saturate it with Goo Gone. After a few minutes I rub the glue off and place the cloth on the second bottle (adding no additional Goo Gone). By about the 6th bottle the solvent is exhausted. Hard work but you only have to do it once in the life of the bottle. BTW, I never had a problem getting bottles donated by my beer-drinking buddies : )

Best of luck

Reply to
DonC

Have you tried heating the bottle and then peeling the label off dry.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

You mean Yuengling? Hell I bought a case of their Lager and the damn lables about fell off.

I have a friend who brews and he always soaked the lables that wouldn't come off easily in Murphy's oil soap water overnight.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I have been told that some petroleum based glues will come off with floor stripper.

Reply to
Dan Listermann

I think you are pushing my limits.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

When looking to remove labels, yes :)

Sitting here sipping an IPA Braggot.

If it's a paper label, soak it long enough, peel it off, srape what's left, and finish it with steel wool and elbow grease.

The problem labels are laminated labels and imprinted labels.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

orange oil.

Reply to
sandpounder

You mean labels? Get a 22 oz bottle and tell me how you got the label off.

Reply to
Dick Adams

British spelling. :-)

Reply to
willshak

I have to drive 80 miles just to get 12 oz bottles.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Ahh I didn't notice the typo pounce.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Of course it's a home repair issue.

DIY projects are powered by beer!

Everyone knows that.

Reply to
Colbyt

on 11/10/2007 2:44 PM Colbyt said the following:

That's why most of the questions are posted here. :-)

Reply to
willshak

I dont know what this has to do with home repair, but I have a gripe about those plastic beer bottles they use now a days. In the old days during a barroom brawl, you'd bust a glass bottle on some guys head and he would often stop fighting or pass out. Try that with one of these plastic bottles and the guy will laugh at you, then knock you unconscious.

Reply to
alvinamorey

snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

a-hahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha

Reply to
TD

on 11/10/2007 11:40 PM snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com said the following:

What brand of beer comes in plastic bottles? I have never seen a plastic beer bottle.

Reply to
willshak

There may be one or two brands in US. I actually bought beer in plastic bottles in Italy while on tour there 20 years ago.

Reply to
Frank

Miller Light for one.

Reply to