Beer bottles (again)

Page 1 of 2
22 fl oz bottles cost me 95 cents a piece (case price). 12 fl oz bottles cost me 55 cents a piece (case price).
To me that means buy a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles and figure you're paying $3.10 for the bottles. Makes it easier to sell to my childbride. ;)
Yes it is rather simple to take labels off of bottles. At least most of them. Unfortunately some breweries, e.g., Stone Brewing in Kal-e-forn-ya and Yingling in Pencil-vane-e-a, use labels I have yet to be able to remove.
You need to see one of these bottles up close to understand the problem. Has anyone found a way to remove these labels?
Dick

I still have a bunch of bottles free for the taking.... 5 or 6 cases with the labels removed already.
When I was cleaning bottles, I'd fill up the sanitary sink with bottles and hot water and put in a couple scoops of oxyclean. The next morning, the labels would either already be off or they would slide off. Sometimes the glue residue would require a little scrubbing with a wire pad (those scrubbie things). Oxy worked like a charm.
Seriously though, come and get a bunch of clean ones. I'll throw in a bench capper...
Ed
ed.edelenbos gmail com

1) Home Repair issue? : ) 2) Assume you're gonna brew! Been there; loved it! 3) I assume your problem bottles have the labels attached with that nasty gummy water proof glue. 4) What I did was scrape the bulk of the crap off with a knife so the chemicals have less to dissolve. I use Goo Gone. I scraped 6 bottles at a time. Then placed a piece of cloth (wash cloth works well) on the first bottle and saturate it with Goo Gone. After a few minutes I rub the glue off and place the cloth on the second bottle (adding no additional Goo Gone). By about the 6th bottle the solvent is exhausted. Hard work but you only have to do it once in the life of the bottle. BTW, I never had a problem getting bottles donated by my beer-drinking buddies : )
Best of luck

When looking to remove labels, yes :)

Sitting here sipping an IPA Braggot.

If it's a paper label, soak it long enough, peel it off, srape what's left, and finish it with steel wool and elbow grease.
The problem labels are laminated labels and imprinted labels.
Dick

Of course it's a home repair issue.
DIY projects are powered by beer!
Everyone knows that.
on 11/10/2007 2:44 PM Colbyt said the following:

That's why most of the questions are posted here. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

When they lived in Denton, my parents kept beer around even though they didn't drink it. It was for a neighbor who often did things for us (like installing a ceiling fan).

Mark Lloyd

The not so secret ingredient in Goo Gone is isopropanol (Propan-2-ol) if you have an alternative supply. With Goo Gone they just add gelling agent and something to stop the smell, a bit.
Peter
www.the-brights.net

Have you tried heating the bottle and then peeling the label off dry.
Bob
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:46:05 +0000, Dick Adams wrote:

You mean Yuengling? Hell I bought a case of their Lager and the damn lables about fell off.
I have a friend who brews and he always soaked the lables that wouldn't come off easily in Murphy's oil soap water overnight.
I have been told that some petroleum based glues will come off with floor stripper.

I think you are pushing my limits.
Bob

You mean labels? Get a 22 oz bottle and tell me how you got the label off.
on 11/10/2007 5:20 AM Dick Adams said the following:

British spelling. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:50:51 -0500, willshak wrote:

Ahh I didn't notice the typo pounce.
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 05:20:26 -0500, Dick Adams wrote:

I have to drive 80 miles just to get 12 oz bottles.
Dick Adams wrote:

orange oil.
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:46:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

I dont know what this has to do with home repair, but I have a gripe about those plastic beer bottles they use now a days. In the old days during a barroom brawl, you'd bust a glass bottle on some guys head and he would often stop fighting or pass out. Try that with one of these plastic bottles and the guy will laugh at you, then knock you unconscious. <LOL>
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote in (Dick

a-hahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha
on 11/10/2007 11:40 PM snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com said the following:

What brand of beer comes in plastic bottles? I have never seen a plastic beer bottle.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY