"Beepless" Microwaves?

Page 2 of 2
TCS wrote:

My GE microwave has a button in front that turns the beep off. My previous Sharp did too.
-> > -> > Looking at it from another perspective: is there any reason the -> > light sleepers can't wear ear plugs? -> > -> > The soft, foam plugs are very cheap and not uncomfortable. -> > -- -> -> Great idea. Get the good ones that will block out the smoke detector, CO -> detector, and the dog barking at an intruder.
If people are awake and using the microwave, we don't really have to worry about those things, do we, since the people can wake the ear-plugged sleepers.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

But if the people that are awake now were part of the earplug crew during the night, you'd still have to worry.
I think it is silly to wear earplugs maybe 60 hours a week for years to avoid a problem that can be solved easily and permanently one time.
Thanks to everybody who wrote and suggested fixes! I now have a choice of Kenmore #80802 and GE Spacemaker XL1600. Are these BOTH countertop? Thanks again!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't know, and I never really gave any thought to the beeper really, but after reading this thread I'm going to go and inspect my microwave for a beeper on/off switch. :o)
On 04/01/05 04:52 am Gerry Atrick tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I don't know whether they save money, but they save two connections and two lengths of wire (all potential failure spots).
Perce
Kenmore is an over-the-range model (also described as a "microhood"), and I'm pretty sure the GE Spacemaker ones are too.
Walk into an appliance store and ask about the beeper and/or look at the user's guide, which may be in the oven, or you may have to ask for it.
Perce
On 04/02/05 06:39 am snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

-> Well, this group *is* alt.home.REPAIR, and our family would like to -> repair some problems that arise from sensitive sleepers living in a -> small home. -> -> Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or -> otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said -> the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more -> than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business. -> But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we -> decided not to go through with the surgery! -> -> So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd -> appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.
On Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:20:37 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
Emails sent or received shall neither constitute acceptance of proposed
and/or preliminary offers conducted via email nor shall create a binding
On Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:20:37 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
Emails sent or received shall neither constitute acceptance of proposed
and/or preliminary offers conducted via email nor shall create a binding
On Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:20:37 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
Emails sent or received shall neither constitute acceptance of proposed
and/or preliminary offers conducted via email nor shall create a binding
snipped-for-privacy@verani.com wrote in wrote:
Do you realize that you're responding to a post that's more than NINE YEARS old?
On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 12:46:48 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Nonetheless, if Maureen has an answer as simple as the one she gave, she should tell us what brand of microwave works this way, and about how old it is, and hopefully the model name or number (since not all items even from with the same brandr have the same features, some aren't even made by the same actual maker.
Then we'll all know, and someone searching the archives later will know too.
So, Maureen?
P&M but please answer by post so all will see it.
PS, I myself would like to make the buzzer louder. It's loud enough when a radio or tv isn't on, but not at all when one is. When I have time, I'll "do the surgery", but it's low on my list.
Holding the 2 button for about 5 seconds works for me. You should hear an initial chirp after pressing 2 and then another short series of 3 chirps af ter holding for 5 seconds. You can then release and try it out. I have a 2005 1800W Whirlpool model. It works like a toggle so you can undo this as needed/desired. It may not be universal but I have tried this on a few ot her microwaves and it has worked.

And as soon as the power goes out you have to start over again. I quit setting the clock on my MW. We get power outages often and not only do I have to reset the clock, but it always goes back to 24 hour military time. (Annoying). I dont need the clock on it, I only need the timer, so I just dont set the clock anymore... If there was a way to shut off the clock, I would !!!
On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 12:07:09 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

On mine (a Panasonic), if you don't set the time, the clock remains blank.

Mine is an Oster. I wish the clock would remain blank. I have just learned to ignore it. I have a clock on the wall in the kitchen and my alarm clock in the bedroom. That's enough clocks in one house, especially when it comes time to change them. My cellphone changes itself and is the most accurate, so I just change the 2 house clocks, and 2 vehicle clocks. Then I have to change my computer time too. That's plenty.... I dont need a clock on the MW, and I no longer have a VCR to change....
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:53:56 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Your computer clock doesn't change it's own time? What are you running? RSX-11?
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

We've got a small GE microwave oven in our office and its clock obviously isn't synced to the 60 Hz line because it gains about 2 minutes a day. Before we know it its fast by ten minutes or so.
Must be because the back label says it can run on 50 or 60 Hz and the builders were too cheap to put a crystal in it, so it's probably got just an RC oscillator.
I'll try the hints earlier in this thread and see if I can shut off that damn clock as we've got a $9.95 Staples wall clock in the same room as the microwave oven, and the only time we have to reset it is when the single AA battery in it croaks or for DST changes.
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Repeat the process.