Beeping can't find the reason

Page 2 of 3
Cordless phone off the charger, battery dying?
Otherwise I think you're gonna have to spend four minutes in each room of the house...

I bought a beeping thing. It has a small magnet so I attached it to the side of the refrigerator at work. It really drove people nuts trying to locate the source. No one ever did. One day I removed it, just to make them even more nuts wondering where the beep went.

Do you have a UPS (battery backup) for a computer???
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nope.

Never had a problem with beeping. Always find it pretty quickly. You'll find it in the last place you look. Funny how it always works that way. I've had greeting cards tucked away somewhere make noise. About a month ago I'd hear what sounded like very faint Christmas music every hour. Seemed to be coming from a stack of papers on the thing we keep on the kitchen table. Kept meaning to tell my wife to check it out, but didn't for a couple weeks. When I finally mentioned to her that something was making noise in the kitchen, she got pissed and pointed to the big "Christmas" clock on the kitchen wall. Hadn't noticed it. Oh well.
--Vic
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Well, you should.
On 1/24/2011 9:41 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Maybe, at wits end, turn off all house power and if beep continues you can assume something with a battery. You'll also be able to hear better with all background noises off.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:09:18 -0500, Frank wrote:

That'd be my advice, too. Actually, it is my advice, too. :-)
Last time I did that, it turned out to be an ancient smoke alarm that had once started beeping, then stopped, and I'd thrown on a shelf in the basement about a year before, figuring that the battery had given out and the whole thing was due for replacement anyway.
Quite why it suddenly decided to beep again a year later I don't know, but of course I'd forgotten it was there by then and it took me a while to work out where the noise was coming from (it'd beep once every 5 minutes or so, too, which is an annoying length of time to be standing around trying to pinpoint the next beep! :-)
Amazing how much quieter the house is when there's not the fridge, computers etc. all running.
cheers
Jules

Got one of those small battery operated clocks you use on vacations? Check your luggage. I had one of those damn things in the car for when I go camping. It decided to beep everytime I was driving. I shut off the alarm, the next time I'm driving it was beeping again. After several tries, I tossed it in a trash can at a wayside. Later on I was thinking about the next guy who came along to drop trash in that can, and phoned in to the police about a bomb in the garbage :)
Of course it could also be your pacemaker is dying.... Or, God is calling you.... Scarey, huh?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

There's too many things around here that beep. It can take a long time to find the guilty one.
Computers can beep when overheated.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Disconnecting the load on an UPS doesn't keep it from beeping if its internal betteries are dying.
On 1/24/2011 8:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Back in the late 70's I worked at an electronic repair depot and me and one of my coworkers built a little box with a piezoelectric buzzer and a 555 timer that produced a short "beep" every 5 minutes or so. We hid it in a crazy girl neighbor's closet in her apartment. It made her a lot more crazy. We distracted her and retrieved the beeper after several months and of course every time she asked us for assistance in tracking down the noise, we pretended not to hear it. It was in her bedroom closet. :-)
TDD
In spewed forth:

you've got mail?<g>
On 1/24/2011 8:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Wieser power deadbolt lock
--- ---

When you hear the beep go to the room where it sounds like it's coming from. Wait for another beep and so forth and keep moving closer and closer until you locate it. Maybe it's a camera tucked away in a drawer.
BTW, if it's beeping every 2 minutes, that's not a long time frame between beeps.

Awhile back I had problems with beeping in this case it was traced back to the smoke detector and was happening more and more frequently. I tried changing the battery no luck. Then when all else failed I got the detector's specs and found something I never knew in the many years and multiple houses I have had with smoke detectors. It seems that manufacturer calls for you to vaccum the detector every year or so. The reason being that dust will sometimes accumulate on the ion sensor in the detector and it thinks there is smoke. I vaccumed the detector and problem cured. Hey they had been installed for 8 years. I vaccumed them all. email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end TIA Hank

Turn MAIN BREAKER OFF, does the beeping stop?
I had FIOS just a few months and came home to beep alarm every 5 minutes.
What a PIA, Verizon wanted to charge me 50 bucks for a replacement battery on a new install only months old.Claimed there was no warranty.
My box beeped for 2 weeks till the replacement finally arrived...
Hank wrote:

Same with computers. After you hoover the innards, turn the hose around an blow.
You'd think the goddamn computer just elected a new Pope!

Get a stopwatch or even better, an automatic resetting digital timer. Set *it* to beep a second or two *before* the problem device beeps. That will make you aware of when to listen for the problem beep. Stand sideways in the doorway of each room, one ear facing in, one facing out, just before the beep occurs.
It'll take a few tries, but eventually you'll be able to locate the rogue device. Works for me and I have a house littered with smoke alarms and gadgets that beep. Electronic devices are usually quite regular in their intervals, so the stopwatch "trick" usually works quite well but it does take a little patience because it's so hard to localize an intermittent noise. Works even better with two people and four ears trying to localize each beep by listening for it just before it happens.
A timer of some sort is essential to track this down. It usually takes me under 10 minutes to find the culprit. The trick is to be standing in a position where you can use your "stereo" hearing to locate the noise source. That's why standing in a doorway sideways is helpful. Makes it much easier to tell whether the sound is in or outside a room.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:
[snip]

That'd work if EVERY beeping device followed that 2-minute rule.
[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us