Bedroom TV

Page 3 of 3

Kind of bothers me when I only see someone's eyeballs at the top of the screen <G> Zoom works great if the the program has horizontal bars, you only lose the bars then and none of the actual picture.
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:43:42 -0700, Ron wrote:

I've played with it so much I know what's lost and gained on the zoom1 setting. And you don't lose much or I couldn't watch that either. I guess it just bugs me more to see the picture with sideways distortion than to lose someone's hairline instead of being able to see the entire head. And I can also adjust the screen vertically to lose less at the top and more at the bottom. One thing this TV has is also a panoramic aspect. In the center it is normal and then stretches out to the sides like a fisheye lens sort of. Watching something in that mode makes me want to throw up.

Hoo Boy! Now THAT is some awesome high def you're watching there, Mo-Ron! Almost like 3-D, even!!!
Bwhahahahaha!
Jim wrote:

Nobody stocks anything now a days. You have to order everything on the internet.
--
LSMFT

Jim wrote:

I was looking for a window air conditioner that is also a heat pump heater. I could leave it in the window longer for that touch of heat needed when it's a little cool in the spring and fall. Does Walmart have one? No way. They have dozens but no heating air conditioners. Don't expect anything that is not a main line mover to be stocked.
--
LSMFT

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:50:33 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Actually the correct response is don't expect people to understand the question.
I originally sought a Vizio product at COSTCO. None to be found. Then I contacted the Vizio home offices. They understood my inquiry but responded that all they offer currently are sleep timers.
Main line depends on who produces the product. LG includes the feature on many models. Last time I checked LG was considered to be a main line provider.

I bought a 25" Samsung 1080p TV/monitor, and it has both a sleep timer and a "real" timer. Also has the best on screen guide that I've seen yet for OTA DTV. Unfortunately, I like it so much as a monitor for my PC that it ended up downstairs on my desk, not in the bedroom, and I guess I'll wait until I have $$ to buy another one to upgrade the bedroom TV. I ordered mine from Newegg.
nate
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 06:42:47 -0700, N8N wrote:

Might that be the P2570HD? If so we have the same unit. Also wound up getting mine at Newegg.
Jim wrote:

The LG 26LE5300 I got the other day does indeed have a programmable on / off timer function including source and channel selection.

An inelegant solution would be to plug the tv into a a timer outlet and just set the timer for whatever you want. Those timer outlets are also useful for having timed lights while on vacation.
-snip-

Also not likely to work. When you cut power to any of the last 1/2 dozen TVs I've owned, they turn themselves off.
Jim

Idiot!
<plonk>

Oh sure-- When I ask to get plonked he won't plonk me-- but when I just add to the thread he gets uppity.<g>
Jim

Good point. That's a "green" function, I believe.
That actually turned into a feature for me. My 32" living room TV is controlled by an X-10 remote module and when I kill power to it, the TV shuts off, but within seconds reactivates the module because of the trickle current design X-10 uses to determine if the user has operated a local switch on a lamp.
However, even though power is restored, the unit itself stays off - the green function you are talking about. Having the X-10 module switch back on automagically is usually a VERY big minus, but in this case it's not. Once the module kicks back on the TV can be turned back on by IR or by the power button.
On the other hand, an RCA hybrid tube TV unit (analog/digital) reacts the same way, mostly. The only difference is that when turned on by the X-10 powerline controller, and then by the IR remote, the bottom of the TV screen displays a message about how my time settings may be off.
With apologies to the OP and Sam Kinison my attitude is: "You're a #(*&$ TV, you sit on the shelf, you show moving pictures but you don't bother me with "The time is wrong!" messages. There is no way to turn off that warning that I can find. It's better than devices that lose their programming or come on in some odd "Enter Settings" state, but not by much.
There are a lot of things that don't like being switched remotely anymore and oddly, though they were greener than other designs when first marketed, now they're anti-green because they need to constantly "sip" tiny bits of electrical power instead of being truly OFF and consuming no power at all. TVs are notorious for "sipping" to keep the IR receiver for the remote alive, and much bad design follows from that need/presumption.
Unlike the OP, I have no desire to use my TV as any kind of a clock, and the annoying message about time settings doesn't clear until you change a channel or adjust the volume. That's probably better than being inoperable after being switched on and off via the power cord and not the built in switch or the IR remote. Still, my theory on clocks in equipment is that they damn well better have serious battery backup or warrant running on a UPS, otherwise they are a nuisance and not a feature. Who doesn't remember the days of VCRs blinking 12:00 every time there was a storm?
On still another hand, I had a Symphonic POS combo DVD-VCR tube TV that locked up for DAYS if you tried to control it via an external powerstrip or something like X-10. Never figured out why, just stuck in on a big UPS and forgot about it (it's the WII TV - those controllers occasionally go airborne and so this old POS got volunteered).
On still one more hand, (how many hands does this guy have!) while I believe that a modern CRT CAN take a hit from a runaway WII controller I know that a modern LCD TV screen CAN'T. Even the slightest surface 'imferpection' on a large screen TV is very noticeable.
And yes, I know that I risk death by 1000 cuts from imploded CRT's and if that doesn't get me, the high voltage will either electrocute me or ionize the CRT tube phospor coating into a highly toxic blast of superheated rare-earth gases that will asphyxiate me. But no one is chucking a WII controller at MY LCD TV at full force again. Not never.
I'll bet someone's taken a near lethal beaning from a WII controller. Future versions will have a flying detector built in that deploys tiny drogue chutes when a WII controller becomes an unguided missile.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote: (Amusing rant snipped)
heh. Reminds me of my confusion when I came home and found my youngest two PCs on, and I knew I had left them off. There had been a power blip, because some of the clocks were blinking 1200. This happened 2-3 times (thunderstorm season in a semi-rural area), before the penny dropped and I looked in the BIOS on the PCs, and found a setting where one could choose to auto-boot after a power loss. Guess it is part of ATX standard for some reason- mebbe for non-attended operations. But the BIOS let me disable it, so no more ghosts.
--
aem sends....

aemeijers wrote:

We came home once to find our dining room light on, and were sure we had turned it off. Since we had a problem neighbor at the time, I decided to call police just to make a record of it. One cop told me the cat probably turned it on :o) Crime stats are probably very artificially low where I live...good politics for police chiefs, mayors, realtors...
turned it off.
You live in the state made famous by Dave Barry and the "Tomato that Dialed 911." Apparently a tomato, rotting on a window ledge, began oozing acidic tomato juice onto the phone below. Naturally, the goo shorted out the 911 speed dial key and the phone dialed 911 but no one answered the operator's questions so they assumed the worst, send the police to break into the house with their guns drawn to get the drop on the killer tomato.
- Bobby G.